not a nutter
Site Supporter
Sep 15, 2005
✟269,195.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
AS ORGANISTS, priests, and parish administrators compile Christmas service sheets up and down Britain, many will wince afresh at particular lines in some of the most well-known carols.

For some it will be the suggestion that Bethlehem was carpeted in snow (“In the bleak midwinter”), while others baulk at the idea that Christmas “defaces” all other times (“God rest ye merry, gentlemen”). The more theologically inclined despair at the hint of heresy in “veiled in flesh the Godhead see” (“Hark! the herald angels sing”).

Hark! the heresy — poll finds most contentious lines in popular Christmas carols

• Informative
Reactions: archer75

Chris V++

Associate Member
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2018
Dela Where?
Visit site
✟676,472.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
And isn't Let it Snow a little too risqué for Christmas? It seems the protagonist is a little too persistent. :)

When we finally kiss good-night
How I'll hate going out in the storm
But if you really hold me tight
All the way home I'll be warm
And the fire is slowly dying
And, my dear, we're still good-bye-ing
But as long as you love me so
Let it snow, let it snow, and snow

Upvote 0

Naomi4Christ

not a nutter
Site Supporter
Sep 15, 2005
✟269,195.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
And isn't Let it Snow a little too risqué for Christmas? It seems the protagonist is a little too persistent. :)

When we finally kiss good-night
How I'll hate going out in the storm
But if you really hold me tight
All the way home I'll be warm
And the fire is slowly dying
And, my dear, we're still good-bye-ing
But as long as you love me so
Let it snow, let it snow, and snow

I can’t recall singing that one in church, and snow at Christmas is a rare as hen’s teeth for us.

Welcome to STR. Glad to have you here.

• Friendly
Reactions: Chris V++
Upvote 0

Doctor.Sphinx

Dec 10, 2017
De Nile
✟20,762.00
Country
Egypt
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
AS ORGANISTS, priests, and parish administrators compile Christmas service sheets up and down Britain, many will wince afresh at particular lines in some of the most well-known carols.

For some it will be the suggestion that Bethlehem was carpeted in snow (“In the bleak midwinter”), while others baulk at the idea that Christmas “defaces” all other times (“God rest ye merry, gentlemen”). The more theologically inclined despair at the hint of heresy in “veiled in flesh the Godhead see” (“Hark! the herald angels sing”).

Hark! the heresy — poll finds most contentious lines in popular Christmas carols
Huh? Why is “veiled in flesh the Godhead see” a hint of heresy?

I guess even bible passages may appear to have a hint of heresy in them, if interpreted without the rest of scripture. This is so much more difficult for songs, which try to condense a deeper meaning into fewer words. However, I think it's unfair to read into hymns or songs more than they are saying when they may be interpreted along correct theological lines, especially hymns or songs which are so closely aligned to scripture.

John 1:14
And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

Hebrews 10:20
By a new and living way, which he hath consecrated for us, through the veil, that is to say, his flesh;

Upvote 0

Pethesedzao

Dec 29, 2018
Bristol
✟24,854.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single

Praise God that I was working over Yuletide time and didn't have to sing erroneous doctrines

• Haha
Reactions: gordonhooker
Upvote 0

Naomi4Christ

not a nutter
Site Supporter
Sep 15, 2005
✟269,195.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Huh? Why is “veiled in flesh the Godhead see” a hint of heresy?

I guess even bible passages may appear to have a hint of heresy in them, if interpreted without the rest of scripture. This is so much more difficult for songs, which try to condense a deeper meaning into fewer words. However, I think it's unfair to read into hymns or songs more than they are saying when they may be interpreted along correct theological lines, especially hymns or songs which are so closely aligned to scripture.

John 1:14
And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

Hebrews 10:20
By a new and living way, which he hath consecrated for us, through the veil, that is to say, his flesh;
Welcome to STR - good to see you here.

I think the heresy hunters look at “veiled in flesh” as not being Jesus’ real flesh - more like a cloak. Therefore it denied his human nature.

Clearly, there is poetic license, however.

Upvote 0

Doctor.Sphinx

Dec 10, 2017
De Nile
✟20,762.00
Country
Egypt
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Thanks. What's STR?

I think the heresy hunters look at “veiled in flesh” as not being Jesus’ real flesh - more like a cloak. Therefore it denied his human nature.

And also, the same poetic licence as used in Hebrews. So to my view, the song goes no further than scripture when it refers to Jesus being God and Man (and I think the rest of the hymn also affirms the correct theology).

Upvote 0

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity

The complaint on God Rest you merry is misplaced due to ignorance it would appear.
In short; the phrase is not "Merry Gentlemen"
it is "God rest you merry."

The phrase is God rest you merry, meaning; to keep, cause to continue to remain" is typical of 16th to 17th century language (the phrase rest you merry is recorded in the 1540s). Etymonline.com notes that the first line "often is mis-punctuated" as "God rest you, merry gentlemen" because in contemporary language, rest has lost its use "with a predicate adjective following and qualifying the object" (Century Dictionary). This is the case already in the 1775 variant, and is also reflected by Dickens' replacement of the verb rest by bless in his 1843 quote of the incipit as "God bless you, merry gentlemen". The adjective merry in Early Modern English had a wider sense of "pleasant; bountiful, prosperous"

The phrase "God rest you merry" would/could have been used at anytime of the year as a cordial/greeting.
In this use the words to the carol actually make sense.
paraphrased
You can rest/sleep/be at ease of mind because of the Incarnation of Christ..

God rest you merry, Gentlemen,
Let nothing you dismay,
For Jesus Christ our Saviour
Was born upon this Day.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Pethesedzao

Dec 29, 2018
Bristol
✟24,854.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
I personally believe Jesus was born in either April or late September time. Not crucial for salvation though but I am very wary of men's traditions...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Naomi4Christ

not a nutter
Site Supporter
Sep 15, 2005
✟269,195.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
The complaint on God Rest you merry is misplaced due to ignorance it would appear.

The phrase is God rest you merry, meaning; to keep, cause to continue to remain" is typical of 16th to 17th century language (the phrase rest you merry is recorded in the 1540s). Etymonline.com notes that the first line "often is mis-punctuated" as "God rest you, merry gentlemen" because in contemporary language, rest has lost its use "with a predicate adjective following and qualifying the object" (Century Dictionary). This is the case already in the 1775 variant, and is also reflected by Dickens' replacement of the verb rest by bless in his 1843 quote of the incipit as "God bless you, merry gentlemen". The adjective merry in Early Modern English had a wider sense of "pleasant; bountiful, prosperous"

The phrase "God rest you merry" would/could have been used at anytime of the year as a cordial/greeting.
In this use the words to the carol actually make sense.
paraphrased
You can rest/sleep/be at ease of mind because of the Incarnation of Christ..

God rest you merry, Gentlemen,
Let nothing you dismay,
For Jesus Christ our Saviour
Was born upon this Day.
Thanks, and welcome to STR.

I don’t have a problem with this carol. I have always thought of the first line as the equivalent of “do not be afraid”, or “peace be with you”. I am, however, a simple soul so happy to be corrected.

Reactions: FenderTL5
Upvote 0

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity

I don’t have a problem with this carol. I have always thought of the first line as the equivalent of “do not be afraid”, or “peace be with you”. I am, however, a simple soul so happy to be corrected.
Thank you for the welcome. I would say your previous understanding would be pretty well, spot on.
:)

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟429,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Punctuation does not often get the attention that it deserves...

oxford.jpg

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Pethesedzao

Dec 29, 2018
Bristol
✟24,854.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single

I personally detest In the bleak midwinter and any carol that mentions 3 kings

Upvote 0

Naomi4Christ

not a nutter
Site Supporter
Sep 15, 2005
✟269,195.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Jesus wasn't born in the bleak midwinter and the Bible does not say there were 3 kings.
We have bigger problems than this carol if we were to nitpick about when he was born.

And three is a subset of any bigger number.

Upvote 0