Sep 21, 2015
✟58,504.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It mainly my fault, I am having a hard time with my prayer rule, and writing down all my sins, I am about to go to Confession Sunday, and can't remember all the sins I committed since last time I confessed to father. So yeah I'm having a hard time with remember all my sins before Confession, keeping my prayer rule, and most importantly things like the Jesus prayer, and reading some Scripture.

I think a lot of is just I feel burned out and tired after working, and helping my mother all day. There some days, I feel I am busy all day, I go to lay down for five minutes when I'm home, then before I know it, I'm asleep, and waking up in the morning promising myself, and GOD to not do that again, and again.

There times I want to do for myself, and tell people "no I can't help you all the time" yet father warned me we don't turn people away, yet I get frustrated I have no time for my spiritual life. Prayers and advice could surely help folks. Forgive me the unworthy chief of sinners.

Petros2015

Jun 23, 2016
undisclosed Bunker
✟289,840.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
helping my mother all day
I would suggest to you that helping your mother if done with the right heart is a kind of prayer in and of itself. Honoring the parents with love is a commandment. You've been praying more than you realize.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Sounds like you're suffering from over-scrupulosity to me. However, I could be wrong, bro. Ditch all legalism and just seek healing. God doesn't expect you to count every sin down to the nearest millimeter. You confess the sins weighing heavy on your heart. I'm not sure if you're in a Russian parish that requires confession every single weekend, but I'm in a Serbian parish. My priest does confessions on Saturdays. I go maybe once every 4-6 weeks, sometimes every couple months. When I commit a sin that is weighing heavy on me, I know it. I am not going to list every single tiny sin. Orthodoxy isn't about that anyway. Pray about this.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I am not in a position to advise anyone else of course, but I have received very good advising from my Confessor and my SF.

Is it possible your prayer rule is too long? If it's too long to pray and so you often miss doing it, that can be a problem and it may need to be shortened, at least during the period you develop it as a discipline.

It is very important to develop the disciple. I'm not that far down the path myself, but what I do know is that one reaches a point where it's like breathing in becoming necessary. It's no longer a matter of dragging yourself to perform a discipline but something one feels very necessary for oneself and will fight to stay awake until there has been a time of meeting with God, in at least a small way. (You might need to stand to pray if you are very tired, so you don't fall asleep in the middle of them.)

So if it is a matter of not yet having discipline of a prayer rule, then it is necessary to "just do it" until it becomes a part of you.

You should also ask your priest or whoever is advising you about formal vs. personal prayers. These each have a place. The formal ones are more important to teach you many things and establish discipline, but depending on each person, you might need a certain balance.

How you pray matters too. You should always of course attempt to make the formal prayers from your heart, not just recitations, otherwise they can do more damage than good. (Though my SF acknowledges that under difficult times when one is just beginning, it may happen sometimes, but it should not be the norm.)

"Just beginning" can probably span a great range of time. Maybe some people can spend a very short time there, maybe some take a number of years. And "progress" is not really linear. Some things are learned, improved, other challenges come in, it may seem harder or worse for a while, then a different kind of progress can happen, and so on. It's fairly personal so a guide is helpful.

I feel I can be less helpful about Confession, though I go more than most Greeks, less than most Russians. I've listened to some very good teaching. Fr. Seraphim Aldea has a good several part series that is more in depth (and maybe less applicable to everyone, but very worth listening to) on Through a Monk's Eyes (jan 2016), and iirc it was in Acquiring the Mind of the Church (sept 2015) that I heard a good basic one.

Generally most priests advise not to make a "laundry list" of particular sins for confession, but that has always been somewhat of a guide for my own practice. I find now there are certain things I am (sadly) almost sure to do between confessions. Someone, somewhere, sometime is going to cut me off in traffic, say a very mean thing to me, be rude or thoughtless, and while I have worked hard on this and might get through most of them not reacting at all ... I won't manage all and someone is going to irritate me, which is a sign on pride welling up inside. I confess that every single time. I have several such faults. And if anything happens that is not usual, I try to remember to confess that too. But my SF has given me a checklist based on the Beatitudes and from them I will always be convicted that I have not loved enough, etc. I confess those too.

For what all that is worth. That's just my experience, and I have more questions than answers. People don't talk much about Confession, and when I try to ask general questions about how to approach confession, I always give examples (sometimes made-up ones) and they nearly always give advice for dealing with my shortcomings and focus on ME rather than on the Sacrament, so I've not learned much except those few podcasts I mentioned, from experience, and from my Confessor and my SF. Just offering what little I have there. I'd love to see you get better answers - I'd be interested too.

Last edited:
Reactions: seashale76
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I would suggest to you that helping your mother if done with the right heart is a kind of prayer in and of itself. Honoring the parents with love is a commandment. You've been praying more than you realize.
That's a VERY GOOD point.

You might enjoy praying the Jesus Prayer when doing such tasks, for yourself, or perhaps for your mother and maybe others in similar need. Just leave off the "sinner" part if you pray for others. :)

And they don't have to be counted. :)

Upvote 0

Orthodoxjay1

Sep 21, 2015
✟58,504.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Thanks everyone,

Gurney bro I don't belong to a Russian Church, I'd probably lose my mind with that intense level of strictness I go to a Greek Church, typically a lot of Greek Churches we don't do Confession a lot, father does allow me to do Confession every few weeks due to him already hearing my Life Confession, yet I tend to fall down in those 4-6 weeks period between Confession. I guess I'm still dealing with the legalism, and the guilt that I experienced in Western Churches. I honestly thought when I did my first Confession, I would be under a punishment or told not to come back, ^_^

I think a problem that I face is that I feel so connected to GOD in Church but have a hard time living the faith during the week, so I tend to sin more. I have a hard time being Orthodox outside of Church since I really don't keep much contact with a lot of people from Church during the week, and I wonder if my family even Christian anymore, so it feels like it just me on my own.

Upvote 0

Ioustinos

Veteran
Feb 6, 2002
✟56,948.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian

I am in total agreement with Petros. If spiritual advancement was done merely through ascetic struggles - fasting, vigils, etc. - then the demons would be great saints for they neither eat nor sleep. However, what defines a Christian is love for God and neighbor.

By sacrificing your time and energy to care for your mother with love you are in essence offering up prayers unto God. As Anastasia suggested, if you desire, and with the blessing of your confessor/spiritual father, you can pray the Jesus Prayer as you care for your mother.

If there are some days that you have the time and energy to do your official prayer rule then by all means do it as it will benefit your soul. Or you may just have enough energy to say the Trisagion - just doing that is fine. St. Paisios of the Holy Mountain suggested to try and do what you can. He compared it to battle. Some nights you may fire a barrage of bullets at the enemy - by doing the complete prayer rule. Other times you may only have enough strength to fire off a couple of rounds - doing the trisagion or Lord's prayer - but it lets the enemy know you are alive and fighting.

Another thing I want to share with you comes from the life of St. Nektarios of Pentopolis. As a boy he was poor and had to work in a tobacco packaging plant in Constantinople. He was worked so hard he had no time to attend church or pray. So what he did was if he passed by a church while making his deliveries he would stop for a minute, say a quick prayer, and then continue about his work. God saw his efforts and his heart and blessed him. The same can be with you. If you have a moment say the Jesus Prayer or the Lord's prayer or simply venerate an icon as you pass by and ask for the saint's intercessions and God sees your effort and your heart.

Remember that Our God is a good God who loves mankind. He is with you and he sees your struggle. Offer what you can with a sincere heart.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I was in the same position of having just Church, and then opposition at home. No connection to parish folks because I live further away. My priest suggested just what Krillios said - to say (at first) just the Lord's Prayer as many times as I could be reminded during the day, morning, and night. He was aiming for maybe 6 times a day, roughly. Later that was changed to Trisagion only morning and night (as a rule) plus of course any extra prayers I wanted, or not. This was my first year, almost year and a half, before he put me under the guidance of my SF, which made an extra "meeting" midweek since we talk at least once a week.

My SF added to my prayer rule, but slowly and not by great amounts. He is concerned about keeping the discipline, but he is equally or more concerned about other aspects of the faith in my life. The prayer rule - at the very least being in remembrance of God and having some connection - is just the foundation, not an end in itself. It is and should be a tool, but only one part of our lives.

Forgive me, I'm not saying this very well I think. Krillios' post is very good. :)

Upvote 0

ex-pat

Building my house...
Jun 30, 2011
Canada
✟16,064.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Do you know your prayer rule by heart yet? it's not ideal, but you can pray silently in your mind and heart while driving or while cooking, cleaning, etc...those things are a blessing to others. There is a children's book called "The Monk Who Grew Prayer" that you may wish to read. I THINK the audio version may be live on Ancient Faith Radio. Best of luck to you, and discuss this with your confessor. He will help you!

Reactions: ~Anastasia~
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Do you know your prayer rule by heart yet? it's not ideal, but you can pray silently in your mind and heart while driving or while cooking, cleaning, etc...those things are a blessing to others. There is a children's book called "The Monk Who Grew Prayer" that you may wish to read. I THINK the audio version may be live on Ancient Faith Radio. Best of luck to you, and discuss this with your confessor. He will help you!
I'm going to have to look into that book. I really want a children's section in our parish library, and that sounds like it could add a good dimension. So far we have a few books on the lives of a few Saints and that is all.

Sorry for the interruption but I wanted to say thank you. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
the only thing I can add is to remember that it is during these trying times, we tend to spiritually grow the most. hang in there and remember the Christian walk is a marathon and not a sprint.

Reactions: ~Anastasia~
Upvote 0

gzt

The age of the Earth is 4.54 ± 0.07 billion years
Jul 14, 2004
Abolish ICE
Visit site
✟117,925.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
It mainly my fault, I am having a hard time with my prayer rule, and writing down all my sins, I am about to go to Confession Sunday, and can't remember all the sins I committed since last time I confessed to father. So yeah I'm having a hard time with remember all my sins before Confession, keeping my prayer rule, and most importantly things like the Jesus prayer, and reading some Scripture.

I think a lot of is just I feel burned out and tired after working, and helping my mother all day. There some days, I feel I am busy all day, I go to lay down for five minutes when I'm home, then before I know it, I'm asleep, and waking up in the morning promising myself, and GOD to not do that again, and again.

There times I want to do for myself, and tell people "no I can't help you all the time" yet father warned me we don't turn people away, yet I get frustrated I have no time for my spiritual life. Prayers and advice could surely help folks. Forgive me the unworthy chief of sinners.
For the first, I've generally been taught that in confession you confess all that you remember and if you left something off because you forgot it or didn't even realize it, that's fine, you didn't hide it, you just forgot it. God forgives you. I guarantee that even if you confessed every day you would leave something out because we have so much. God forgives you if you make the effort to confess all you did wrong and hopefully will give you the grace to remember the big things and help you to truly repent of your sins whether you named the right ones or not. God wants you to be a saint, it's what he made you for, so if you want to be a saint He'll help you far more than you would help yourself. There's a book I really like - The Forgotten Medicine: The Mystery of Repentance by Fr Seraphim (Alexiev).

With your prayer rule, talk to your priest. Maybe it's too much. Maybe it's not. We can't say. I would definitely say though, that your service to others "counts". It's a good work, it takes your energy, it's necessary in your life. You don't have these different buckets, "Church Stuff", "Work stuff", "Helping Mother stuff", and only the first box belongs to God. At the very least, the first and third are good works. Helping people is part of your spiritual life just as much as prayer is, and at times it might be a one-to-one substitute.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I've generally been taught that in confession you confess all that you remember and if you left something off because you forgot it or didn't even realize it, that's fine, you didn't hide it, you just forgot it. God forgives you. I guarantee that even if you confessed every day you would leave something out because we have so much. God forgives you if you make the effort to confess all you did wrong and hopefully will give you the grace to remember the big things and help you to truly repent of your sins whether you named the right ones or not.

yeah, I actually heard as well that God at times keeps us from remembering all sins so that we don't fall into despair, and then He reminds us little by little as much as we can handle.

Upvote 0