Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
He did what God told him to in the end but he was still not happy
God said unto Jonah though, "Doest thou well to be angry?"

God didn't want him angry; Jonah was just frustrated that God spared Ninevah even though Jonah didn't think they should have been spared. That was a personal problem for Jonah, nothing else.

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
He did what God told him to in the end but he was still not happy
It is one thing for the Lord to give us all we need to be happy. It is something else for us to choose happiness. I suspect the Lord did his part.

Upvote 0

Chinchilla

May 31, 2018
Warsaw
✟30,919.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
God said unto Jonah though, "Doest thou well to be angry?"

God didn't want him angry; Jonah was just frustrated that God spared Ninevah even though Jonah didn't think they should have been spared. That was a personal problem for Jonah, nothing else.

God has tendency to use other nations to punish Israel if they disobey , perhaps Jonah didn't want Niniveh to be Israel's enemies in future .

Upvote 0

Call me Nic

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2017
✟481,735.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
God has tendency to use other nations to punish Israel if they disobey , perhaps Jonah didn't want Niniveh to be Israel's enemies in future .
Maybe, but that's grabbing at strings and the scripture doesn't indicate that at all.

To be honest, I would liken Jonah's attitude to the attitude that the faithful brother had in the parable of the Prodigal Son: the faithful brother was angry at his father because he felt his father was rejoicing over the other brother who had acted foolish for so long more than he himself who had acted faithful the entire time. He was angry because he felt like he deserved the praise and recognition instead; however, the father corrected his attitude by saying that he was merely happy that his son, who was lost, had been found.

Jonah was angry for the same reason: he felt that God had punished him severely for running away from the commandments of God (by getting swallowed by a fish) and yet let Ninevah off easy. Basically, Jonah was throwing a tamper-tantrum because he thought God was being unfair.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Chinchilla

May 31, 2018
Warsaw
✟30,919.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Maybe, but that's grabbing at strings and the scripture doesn't indicate that at all.

To be honest, I would liken Jonah's attitude to the attitude that the faithful brother had in the parable of the Prodigal Son: the faithful brother was angry at his father because he felt his father was rejoicing over the other brother who had acted foolish for so long more than he himself who had acted faithful the entire time. He was angry because he felt like he deserved the praise and recognition instead; however, the father corrected his attitude by saying that he was merely happy that his son, who was lost, had been found.

Jonah was angry for the same reason: he felt that God had punished him severely for running away from the commandments of God (by getting swallowed by a fish) and yet let Ninevah off easy. Basically, Jonah was throwing a tamper-tantrum because he thought God was being unfair.

He was angry prior to the fish event . Simply because God was merciful and he wanted Niniveh to perish .

Upvote 0

Call me Nic

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2017
✟481,735.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
He was angry prior to the fish event . Simply because God was merciful and he wanted Niniveh to perish .
But let's be honest here Chinchilla, if you got swallowed by a fish and spat up three days later, wouldn't you be more angry than before?

Upvote 0

Chinchilla

May 31, 2018
Warsaw
✟30,919.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
But let's be honest here Chinchilla, if you got swallowed by a fish and spat up three days later, wouldn't you be more angry than before?

No, visiting paradise for three days to meet my ancestors then comming back to life would be cool .

Upvote 0