Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I am not a Lutheran, but I thank God that Lutherans still remember Reformation Day.

I find everything about Halloween repugnant and repulsive. It grieves me to see the celebration of demons and death. Why should children be taught to beg as a good thing? Or expect treats when they do nothing more than dress up as ghosts.

Nor do I care for many Protestant alternatives with their Fall Festivals which is no better than Earth Worship, or the earth goddess Gaia?

But Reformation Day is something all Protestants should celebrate. On October 31st, 1517 Martin Luther nailed his 95 Thesis denouncing the papal sale of indulgences which sparked the Protestant Reformation by which millions of Europeans found the new birth, and the seed was laid for a new country built upon biblical principles AKA the United States.

Thank you Lutherans for keeping this true holy-day alive. Since this is the 500th anniversary, perhaps some element of the Gematria might occur. The number 5 is the number of grace and the number 10 is the number of divine perfection. Perhaps a multiplication of 100 will be significant.

Reactions: Sarah G

Goatee

Jesus, please forgive me, a sinner.
Aug 16, 2015
Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
I don't like Halloween either. It's devil worship the way people celebrate it these days.

As for reformation day, well, a day known by God that man decided to split His Holy Church and thus cause years of terror and tortures and murders.

Upvote 0

AlexDTX

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't like Halloween either. It's devil worship the way people celebrate it these days.

As for reformation day, well, a day known by God that man decided to split His Holy Church and thus cause years of terror and tortures and murders.
Thank you for your feed back. Of course, Catholics would view the day differently which is why I chose to put it in the Lutheran section.

• Agree
Reactions: Tigger45
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That actually occurred 500 years earlier with the decision to split the catholic and orthodox churches.

I actually see Martin Luther's act as the first step in a God-ordained journey back to what the church was supposed to be in the first place. Pentecostalism and Messianic Judaism are further steps.

Upvote 0

BBAS 64

Contributor
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
New England
✟489,871.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Happy Reformation day!!

https://plus.google.com/+ligonierministries/posts/TQenX7WZKXL

The roman church at Trent: - CANON 9: "If any one saith, that by faith alone the impious is justified; in such wise as to mean, that nothing else is required to co-operate in order to the obtaining the grace of Justification, and that it is not in any way necessary, that he be prepared and disposed by the movement of his own will; let him be anathema."

CANON 12 - Ifany one shall say that justifying faith is nothing else than confidence in the divine mercy pardoning sins for Christ's sake, or that it is that confidence alone by which we are justified, let him be accursed

Canon 14: "If any one saith, that man is truly absolved from his sins and justified, because that he assuredly believed himself absolved and justified; or, that no one is truly justified but he who believes himself justified; and that, by this faith alone, absolution and justification are effected; let him be anathema."

Canon 23: "lf any one saith, that a man once justified can sin no more, nor lose grace, and that therefore he that falls and sins was never truly justified; or, on the other hand, that he is able, during his whole life, to avoid all sins, even those that are venial, - except by a special privilege from God, as the Church holds in regard of the Blessed Virgin; let him be anathema."

Upvote 0

amariselle

Jesus Never Fails
Sep 28, 2004
The Great Northern Wilderness
✟60,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives

Unfortunately, terror, tortures and murders did not begin with the Reformation, as I'm sure you well know.

Upvote 0

AlexDTX

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Happy Reformation day!!

https://plus.google.com/+ligonierministries/posts/TQenX7WZKXL

The roman church at Trent: - CANON 9: "If any one saith, that by faith alone the impious is justified; in such wise as to mean, that nothing else is required to co-operate in order to the obtaining the grace of Justification, and that it is not in any way necessary, that he be prepared and disposed by the movement of his own will; let him be anathema."

CANON 12 - Ifany one shall say that justifying faith is nothing else than confidence in the divine mercy pardoning sins for Christ's sake, or that it is that confidence alone by which we are justified, let him be accursed

Canon 14: "If any one saith, that man is truly absolved from his sins and justified, because that he assuredly believed himself absolved and justified; or, that no one is truly justified but he who believes himself justified; and that, by this faith alone, absolution and justification are effected; let him be anathema."

Canon 23: "lf any one saith, that a man once justified can sin no more, nor lose grace, and that therefore he that falls and sins was never truly justified; or, on the other hand, that he is able, during his whole life, to avoid all sins, even those that are venial, - except by a special privilege from God, as the Church holds in regard of the Blessed Virgin; let him be anathema."

Thank you for your response. It is not clear what you are saying, however. On the one hand it seems like you are quoting Catholic canons to denounce Reformation Day, but on the other it also seems like you are showing the foolishness of Catholicism. It seems you are taking the latter stance sine you also include the RC Sproul video.

My intention is not to come against Catholicism, but to Halloween. Regrettably they are linked since it was the practice of the Catholic Church to absorb paganism and simply give it Christian names. It was also the Irish Catholics who brought Halloween to Protestant America in the 19th century when they fled starvation in the great Potato Famine of Ireland.

Despite the roots of Halloween, my desire is for Protestants to observe a better holiday in Reformation Day than Halloween. Parties could be had with people dressed up as Protestant saints. Pin the Thesis on the Door could be played by children, etc.

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟825,894.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Unfortunately, terror, tortures and murders did not begin with the Reformation, as I'm sure you well know.
Yup, there was this guy named Hus... and many, many more before the posting of the 95 Theses; and it's still happening today; including here at CF.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟825,894.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Thank you for your response. It is not clear what you are saying, however. On the one hand it seems like you are quoting Catholic canons to denounce Reformation Day, but on the other it also seems like you are showing the foolishness of Catholicism. It seems you are taking the latter stance sine you also include the RC Sproul video.

My intention is not to come against Catholicism, but to Halloween. Regrettably they are linked since it was the practice of the Catholic Church to absorb paganism and simply give it Christian names. It was also the Irish Catholics who brought Halloween to Protestant America in the 19th century when they fled starvation in the great Potato Famine of Ireland.

Despite the roots of Halloween, my desire is for Protestants to observe a better holiday in Reformation Day than Halloween. Parties could be had with people dressed up as Protestant saints. Pin the Thesis on the Door could be played by children, etc.

I agree that the sensational way Halloween is not practiced has nothing to do with the Church and the Bible. Childish fun at the best; secular humanistic consumerism for most; sensationalizing death and corruption and a cult of the dead at worst.

We do still commemorate the faithful departed on All Saints day, which is still one of the great festivals of the Church.

From the Te Deum:
...The glorious company of the Apostles praise Thee.
The godly fellowship of the Prophets praise Thee.
The noble army of Martyrs praise Thee...
...We therefore pray Thee, help Thy servants whom Thou hast redeemed with Thy precious blood.
Make them to be numbered with Thy Saints in glory everlasting...

Upvote 0

AlexDTX

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yup, there was this guy named Hus... and many, many more before the posting of the 95 Theses; and it's still happening today; including here at CF.
Thanks for mentioning Jon Hus, he was my ancestor.

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟825,894.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for mentioning Jon Hus, he was my ancestor.

That is cool! Tradition has it that Jon Hus fore-told the coming of Luther. The way that I heard it, Hus said at the council of Constance “You may silence this Goose, but there will come a Swan you will not be able to silence.”

The Family Crest of the Luthers had a Swan in it.

Upvote 0

AlexDTX

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That is cool! Tradition has it that Jon Hus fore-told the coming of Luther. The way that I heard it, Hus said at the council of Constance “You may silence this Goose, but there will come a Swan you will not be able to silence.”

The Family Crest of the Luthers had a Swan in it.
I have heard that tradition, too.

Upvote 0