Happy Indigenous People Day Also Known as Invasion Day.

Nevada Smith

Sep 20, 2020
Paxton
✟14,530.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As I said earlier, despite all their outrage I don't see anyone offering to pay the American Indian for the stolen land (snip)
Which would be fine question if my point had something to do with that, it didn't. My point was Christians celebrating a man who raped and sold women and kids into sexual slavery hardly seems like a good thing. If people want to celebrate stealing other peoples land and killing off the people who owned it at the time? That's up to them. My point is maybe they could find someone less...vile to have a holiday that celebrates their "accomplishments"?
tulc(tends to not care for those sorts of "accomplishments")

Upvote 0

Nevada Smith

Sep 20, 2020
Paxton
✟14,530.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Which would be fine question if my point had something to do with that, it didn't. My point was Christians celebrating a man who raped and sold women and kids into sexual slavery hardly seems like a good thing. If people want to celebrate stealing other peoples land and killing off the people who owned it at the time? That's up to them. My point is maybe they could find someone less...vile to have a holiday that celebrates their "accomplishments"?
tulc(tends to not care for those sorts of "accomplishments")
We honor him for his discovery of America, not for "raped and sold women and kids into sexual slavery." He was no different than others at that time in history. I could go down the list and find fault with every person that walked the Earth, except One.

We should not celebrate July 4 then. If we "gave unto Caesar" and paid the Tea Tax there probably wouldn't have been an American Revolution. We honor the veterans that fought and died for our freedom, and rightly so, but how many atrocities and war crimes did they commit?
Dark violence and atrocities of the Revolutionary War - The Boston Globe

Even Dr. King, who we honor with a holiday, had his human failings.
Only Human: Four Shortcomings That Reveal Martin Luther King Jr.'s Dark Side

“To err is human, to forgive, divine.” ― Alexander Pope, An Essay On Criticism.
Apparently we have a lot of people here in America that aren't either.

“The past is a foreign country; they do things differently there.” ― L.P. Hartley, The Go-Between

Upvote 0

tulc

May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We honor him for his discovery of America,
...you do understand Columbus never set foot even once anywhere on the North American continent, right?

not for "raped and sold women and kids into sexual slavery."
And yet, that's exactly who he was and those were his only real "accomplishments".

He was no different than others at that time in history. (snip)
Actually:
This Is the Monster Philly Celebrates on Columbus Day
Columbus’ evil was so outrageous that Governor Francisco De Bodadilla arrested him for inhuman and widespread crimes against the Taino/Arawak population and shipped him back to Spain in shackles. The evidence was so overwhelming that Columbus confessed and was convicted. Debilitated by “gout, rheumatoid arthritis and possibly malaria,” he died in 1506 at age 54.

In one single day, de las Casas saw Columbus’ soldiers “dismember, behead, or rape 3,000 natives.” As a result, he was moved to write that “my eyes have seen these acts so foreign to human nature that now I tremble as I write.” So do I, de las Casas. So do I. But my trembling is the result of rage directed at city officials who celebrate this monster.
So yeah, even in those days he was considered vile. So people can throw a couple of coats of paint on him and maybe even put a bow in his hair, but the facts of history show this holiday celebrates a vile monster.
tulc(just thought that should be pointed out)

Upvote 0

tulc

May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Anyone attacked Walter Raleigh for introducing tobacco to the world or is that too gender and race inclusive?
...there's a national holiday dedicated to Walter Raleigh? I have to confess I was unaware of that, what day is that found?
tulc(is honestly surprised to learn there's a "Walter Raleigh" national holiday here in the U.S.) :sorry:

Upvote 0

tulc

May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Not necessary. The cancel culture isn't particularly locked into holiday heroes.
...so, to be clear: there isn't a national holiday for Walter Raleigh? Where we shut down government offices in honor of a man who, even in his day, was considered off the hook? :scratch:
tulc(would be interested in a national holiday celebrating Kaldi instead The Legend of Kaldi - Uncommon Grounds )

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟306,518.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
...so, to be clear: there isn't a national holiday for Walter Raleigh? Where we shut down government offices in honor of a man who, even in his day, was considered off the hook? :scratch:
Odd isn't it, considering we've had a holiday for part of a year commemorating a virus. I think a lot of people think history should be updated to mean 'today' instead of the 'past' so that the celebrity mentality can garner more attention to itself and remake the world in their own image instead of the building blocks of the past. More self serving idealism that got us kicked out of the Garden.

As far as Kaldi goes, what would you call it... National Acid Reflux Day?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

tulc

May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
(snip)
As far as Kaldi goes, what would you call it... National Acid Reflux Day?
...I'm thinking "PROOF GOD LOVES US AND WANTS US TO BE HAPPY!" day would sound more festive...
tulc(just a suggestion) :coffee:

• Informative
Reactions: timothyu
Upvote 0

Nevada Smith

Sep 20, 2020
Paxton
✟14,530.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Consider the source.

This Is the Monster Philly Celebrates on Columbus Day by MICHAEL COARD· 10/12/2015, 1:14 p.m.

One of Us: Michael Coard

"The last time I took a white client was … 1997."
"My biggest phobia is … statues."
"Good cops in Philly … technically don’t exist."
"My last vacation out of the country was … in the mid-’90s. I went to West Africa. And the first thing I saw when I stepped off the plane in Ghana was a billboard with a white-skinned, blue-eyed, blond-haired Jesus".

Maybe you could find source that has less hatred toward, white people, statues, cops, and Jesus

Try this. Not that facts matter to the left.
Christopher Columbus – Was He Really The Monster Leftists Say? With Video

Upvote 0

tulc

May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Consider the source.(snip)
So, first we eliminate the ad hominem fallacy portion of your post, then we look at the second part:

And...we find someone who offers no actual facts, just some vague "he wasn't so bad!" excuses. But even they admit he ended up being shipped back to Spain in chains. So, if I'm understanding your point here it's: having a national holiday that celebrates someone who never actually set foot in North America and who sold women and children into sexual slavery is fine, because they did it a long time ago? :scratch:
tulc(is just making sure that's Nevada Smith's point) :wave:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

tulc

May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Except they are right.

Anthropologists say native Americans are related to Asians who migrated here across a now-defunct land bridge.
...and Columbus knew that back then? :scratch:
tulc(finds that a little hard to believe) :sorry:

• Agree
Reactions: Archivist
Upvote 0