Visit site
✟434,811.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I meant nationalism in the "my country is better than yours by default, our flaws are not as bad as yours, and our virtues are far greater" kinda thinking.

I get that, and that's fine. I'm saying that we have forgotten there is good nationalism, and that modern multiculturalism effectively works to teach us to love every nation and culture except our own; thus, the PC crowd pushes the term "nationalism" as an unquestionably bad thing; that it be assumed and not thought about.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,463,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I get that, and that's fine. I'm saying that we have forgotten there is good nationalism, and that modern multiculturalism effectively works to teach us to love every nation and culture except our own; thus, the PC crowd pushes the term "nationalism" as an unquestionably bad thing; that it be assumed and not thought about.

just outta curiosity, what is the difference then between patriotism and the good kind of nationalism?

Upvote 0

rusmeister

A Russified American Orthodox Chestertonian
Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟434,811.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
just outta curiosity, what is the difference then between patriotism and the good kind of nationalism?

They are the same thing. "Patria" comes from the Latin for "father(land)", "nation" from "natal/nascere", (land of birth).

It is a good and right love for one's homeland.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,463,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
They are the same thing. "Patria" comes from the Latin for "father(land)", "nation" from "natal/nascere", (land of birth).

It is a good and right love for one's homeland.

si si, and I agree that it is good to be a patriot. many saints I have read were patriots of their country.

Upvote 0

rusmeister

A Russified American Orthodox Chestertonian
Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟434,811.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Nationalism is a little too close to idolatry~my nation is the Church where ever it may be...

There is truth in that last. But I submit to you that we are under a command to love our neighbor, who is most often not in the Church. There is certainly idolatrous civil religious worship, and Americans are as guilty as anyone of it. But there is also a good, right and proper love for one's homeland and countrymen. The rhetorical use of the term we have all been taught sees the former and obscures the latter so that many now do not see it.

Upvote 0