Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Reactions: Dkh587
Upvote 0

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟572,541.44
Faith
Messianic
  • Winner
Reactions: Dave-W
Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟768,102.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Can you explain more?

The President (and USA) are trying to respect the Jewish members of our society, both in the USA and outside of it. Also, his daughter is Jewish by conversion and around 2% of our country is Jewish. The White House also traditionally has a Ramadan observance to pay respect to Islam. Further, it also pays respects to the Jewish roots of Christianity, many Christians celebrate both Christmas and Hanukkah.

Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟145,360.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The President (and USA) are trying to respect the Jewish members of our society, both in the USA and outside of it. Also, his daughter is Jewish by conversion and around 2% of our country is Jewish. The White House also traditionally has a Ramadan observance to pay respect to Islam. Further, it also pays respects to the Jewish roots of Christianity, many Christians celebrate both Christmas and Hanukkah.

Why do many US Christians celebrate the destroyed second temple?

I have always heard that in the US religion is separated from the state affairs.

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟768,102.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Why do many US Christians celebrate the destroyed second temple?

Well, on this forum (Messianic Judaism), it is because we identify as a continuation of Judaism, a branch of Jewish Christians (whether we are Jewish or gentiles). As such we try and keep the feasts. Further, there are scriptural reasons to believe that Jesus celebrated Hanukkah and that it will be one of the holy days celebrated by both Jews and gentile believers when he returns.

*edit*
Hanukkah is not about the "destroyed second temple" it is a celebration of the dedication of the Temple after desecration as well as the miracle surrounding it. As Christians we also celebrate it as a reminder of Jesus bringing light into the world.

Also, since you edited your post, the USA has a separation of religion, but in general it means that there is no state religion as was the case in the United Kingdom and other countries when the USA was founded. It also means that we attempt to respect other's religious freedoms - hence the celebrating of Christmas, Ramadan, Hanukkah, etc. by the White House.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟768,102.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Yes, this is the Messianic Judaism forum....so we are people that identify in some way with Judaism but believe in Jesus/Yeshua. As such most celebrate both holidays.

Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟870,741.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Yes, this is the Messianic Judaism forum....so we are people that identify in some way with Judaism but believe in Jesus/Yeshua. As such most celebrate both holidays.
Yes, I'm aware of both those things. I was curious about the "many" because I only know of one Christian who bserves Hanukkah.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟768,102.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yes, I'm aware of both those things. I was curious about the "many" because I only know of one Christian who bserves Hanukkah.

I suppose it is whom one associates with and one's definition of "many". I know of around a thousand between all the local MJ Synagogues in this area, extrapolated across the USA it would be in the 10's of thousands or so. I also know of some SDA that celebrate it both in the main church and in their synagogues, aside from the main SDA they have a SDA Messianic Synagogues in a few places in the USA. There are also a number (but I have no idea how many) of non-denominational people that celebrate it, including on these forums.

• Informative
Reactions: USincognito
Upvote 0

visionary

Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟572,541.44
Faith
Messianic
I suppose it is whom one associates with and one's definition of "many". I know of around a thousand between all the local MJ Synagogues in this area, extrapolated across the USA it would be in the 10's of thousands or so. I also know of some SDA that celebrate it both in the main church and in their synagogues, aside from the main SDA they have a SDA Messianic Synagogues in a few places in the USA. There are also a number (but I have no idea how many) of non-denominational people that celebrate it, including on these forums.
Yep, Church of God, Jews for Jesus, Two house, just to name a few more.

Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟870,741.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Informative. Thank you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

visionary

Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟572,541.44
Faith
Messianic
Picture taken over Jerusalem.
47495908_2222037034721390_1245053337699614720_n.jpg

Upvote 0