• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hanukkah at the White House

Discussion in 'Messianic Judaism' started by Yeshua HaDerekh, Dec 7, 2018 at 5:00 AM.

1. Yeshua HaDerekh

Yeshua HaDerekh Men can dream of truth, but then cant live with it

+1,319
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. myst33

myst33 Member

+123
    Czech Republic
    Christian
    Single
  3. visionary

visionary Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I. Supporter

+5,446
    Messianic
  4. myst33

myst33 Member

+123
    Czech Republic
    Christian
    Single
    Can you explain more?

5. tampasteve

tampasteve Messianic leaning Lutheran Staff Member Red Team - Moderator Supporter

+1,369
    United States
    Lutheran
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    The President (and USA) are trying to respect the Jewish members of our society, both in the USA and outside of it. Also, his daughter is Jewish by conversion and around 2% of our country is Jewish. The White House also traditionally has a Ramadan observance to pay respect to Islam. Further, it also pays respects to the Jewish roots of Christianity, many Christians celebrate both Christmas and Hanukkah.

6. myst33

myst33 Member

+123
    Czech Republic
    Christian
    Single
    Why do many US Christians celebrate the destroyed second temple?

I have always heard that in the US religion is separated from the state affairs.

7. tampasteve

tampasteve Messianic leaning Lutheran Staff Member Red Team - Moderator Supporter

+1,369
    United States
    Lutheran
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    Well, on this forum (Messianic Judaism), it is because we identify as a continuation of Judaism, a branch of Jewish Christians (whether we are Jewish or gentiles). As such we try and keep the feasts. Further, there are scriptural reasons to believe that Jesus celebrated Hanukkah and that it will be one of the holy days celebrated by both Jews and gentile believers when he returns.

*edit*
    Hanukkah is not about the "destroyed second temple" it is a celebration of the dedication of the Temple after desecration as well as the miracle surrounding it. As Christians we also celebrate it as a reminder of Jesus bringing light into the world.

Also, since you edited your post, the USA has a separation of religion, but in general it means that there is no state religion as was the case in the United Kingdom and other countries when the USA was founded. It also means that we attempt to respect other's religious freedoms - hence the celebrating of Christmas, Ramadan, Hanukkah, etc. by the White House.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018 at 8:41 AM
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  8. USincognito

USincognito Do u? Supporter

+10,345
    United States
    Atheist
    Private
    Really?

9. tampasteve

+1,369
    United States
    Lutheran
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    Yes, this is the Messianic Judaism forum....so we are people that identify in some way with Judaism but believe in Jesus/Yeshua. As such most celebrate both holidays.

10. USincognito

+10,345
    United States
    Atheist
    Private
    Yes, I'm aware of both those things. I was curious about the "many" because I only know of one Christian who bserves Hanukkah.

11. tampasteve

+1,369
    United States
    Lutheran
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    I suppose it is whom one associates with and one's definition of "many". I know of around a thousand between all the local MJ Synagogues in this area, extrapolated across the USA it would be in the 10's of thousands or so. I also know of some SDA that celebrate it both in the main church and in their synagogues, aside from the main SDA they have a SDA Messianic Synagogues in a few places in the USA. There are also a number (but I have no idea how many) of non-denominational people that celebrate it, including on these forums.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  12. visionary

+5,446
    Messianic
    Yep, Church of God, Jews for Jesus, Two house, just to name a few more.

13. USincognito

+10,345
    United States
    Atheist
    Private
    Informative. Thank you.

14. Rachel Rachel

Rachel Rachel Messianic/Church of God 7th Day

+93
    United States
    Messianic
    Single
    US-Constitution
    Yes, for sure in Church of God 7th Day. ☺

15. Radagast

Radagast is a Trinitarian Christian

+4,861
    Australia
    Christian
    Single
    I have never met a Christian who celebrated Hanukkah.

16. visionary

+5,446
    Messianic
    You are in a Christian section of CF, who do.

17. visionary

+5,446
    Messianic
    Picture taken over Jerusalem. [​IMG]

18. Radagast

Radagast is a Trinitarian Christian

+4,861
    Australia
    Christian
    Single
    In that case, oops, my bad.