South
✟26,634.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Looking for a few opinions on this please.

Jesus said to him, “‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.’ 38This is the first and great commandment. 39And the second is like it: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ 40On these two commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets.”

On these two commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets.”

If everthing in the OT is done away with as so many suggests, please let me know what is "all the Law and the Prophets" referring to that Jesus spoke of?

ChristServant

Aug 23, 2020
South
✟26,634.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This one is easy.

The OT has not been done away with, and those who suggest that it has are mistaken.

Christ, in his teachings, certainly did not banish the Old Testament.

What is "all the Law and the Prophets" referring to that Jesus spoke of?

Upvote 0

Amittai

baggage apostate
Aug 20, 2006
✟41,180.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
The "Law and the Prophets" is to not stunt the growth of our fellow adopted widows and orphans in Father's firm. This is what God's will is. This is further illustrated in parables about servants, the Feeding of the Thousands, Epistle of James. Is 55, 58, 61 also refer.

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,096,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart

(CLV) 1Jn 5:3
For this is the love of God, that we may be keeping His precepts. And His precepts are not heavy,

(CLV) Jn 14:15
If you should be loving Me, you will be keeping My precepts.

John 14:21
Whoever has My commandments and keeps them is the one who loves Me. The one who loves Me will be loved by My Father, and I will love him and reveal Myself to him."

John 14:23
Jesus replied, "If anyone loves Me, he will keep My word. My Father will love him, and we will come to him and make Our home with him.

John 15:10
If you keep My commandments, you will remain in My love, just as I have kept My Father's commandments and remain in His love.

2 John 1:6
And this is love, that we walk according to His commandments. This is the very commandment you have heard from the beginning, that you must walk in love.

From the Decalogue
(CLV) Ex 20:6
yet showing benignity to thousands, to those loving Me and observing My instructions.

(CLV) MarK 12: 28-34
28 And, approaching, one of the scribes, hearing them discussing, having perceived that He answered them ideally, inquires of Him, "What is the foremost precept of all? 29 Jesus answered him that "The foremost precept of all is: Hear, Israel! the Lord our God is one Lord." 30 And, You shall be loving the Lord God out of your whole heart, and out of your whole soul, and out of your whole comprehension, and out of your whole strength. This is the foremost precept."

Yahshua is quoting the Shema:

(CLV) DT 6:4
4 Hear, Israel! Yahweh is our Elohim; Yahweh the only One. 5 So you will love Yahweh your Elohim with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your intensity. 6 These words which I am instructing you today will come to be in your heart.

What did Daniel say?

(CLV) Dn 9:4
I prayed indeed to Yahweh my Eloah. I confessed and said intensely, Oh, Yahweh, the great and fear inspiring El, Keeper of the covenant and the benignity for those loving Him and keeping His instructions:

What did Nehemiah say?

(CLV) Ne 1:5
I said: Oh, Yahweh Elohim of the heavens, the great and fear-inspiring El, Who is keeping the covenant and the benignity with those loving Him and observing His instructions,

Upvote 0

plain jayne

Aug 11, 2020
Louisiana
✟58,891.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
If everthing in the OT is done away with as so many suggests, please let me know what is "all the Law and the Prophets" referring to that Jesus spoke of?

I am an Old Testament lover. My father taught me that. From Genesis to Malachi. I love it. I read it. I teach it at my church and at a local community center.

Never, had anyone "done away with" the Old Testament. Some ignore it. Some say it's out-dated. Here is the truth about that.

God inspired this scripture. All of it, the Old Testament, is profitable for a lot of things - so says the New Testament.

God gave LOTS of laws to his Hebrew people for them and them alone to bear as they were a holy people, a peculiar people, and a people from whom the Messiah would come. They HAD to represent God in a moral manner that was unlike any other people.

There were unusual laws given for them: They HAD to have long, uncut sideburns, they had to have only one crop in a whole field [unlike my grandparents who had multiple vegetables in their fields], they had to have a priest come and declare their homes mold-free as a religious ceremony.

God also gave a 10-piece summary of the moral code. The Ten Commandments.

Jesus Christ gave a 2 [some say three - I do] piece summary of it all.
  • Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, strength, and mind.
  • Love your neighbor as yourself [even your enemies]
  • Love one another [fellow Christians] as He loved us.
It's vital that Christians to understand the biggest picture possible to include the Old Testament in their studies - not just the New.

The Old Testament is not done away with at ALL! It's just that the laws peculiar to Hebrews found in Exodus - Deuteronomy were for them alone.

9/10 of the Ten Commandments are required by Christians to be in obedience to God. I feel "resting on the 7th day" is a wise idea, but to legalize it and to wrongfully change it to "worship" on the 7th day [it was never about worship, but about rest] - is the wrong thinking.

3/3 of Jesus commandments are required to live as Jesus Christ asked us to live.

• Winner
Reactions: HappyHope
Upvote 0

A. Christian

Sep 21, 2019
Ft. Myers
✟9,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
All of the Law and Prophets. The law and prophets had one very important purpose and that was to point israel (and through Israel the world) to the messiah, their promised savior, the Word made flesh. Jesus both fulfilled the Law and the prophecies regarding the redemption of humanity. (Some prophecies are still in the process of being fulfilled like when Jesus returns).

People would try to direct your attention to the law, but the law never saved anyone. Your attention should always be on Jesus. It is impossible to love God or your neighbor without a relationship with the God who is love. This relationship is only possible because of Jesus sacrificing himself in fulfilling the law and the prophets.

Upvote 0

ChristServant

Aug 23, 2020
South
✟26,634.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
All of the Law and Prophets. The law and prophets had one very important purpose and that was to point israel (and through Israel the world) to the messiah, their promised savior, the Word made flesh. Jesus both fulfilled the Law and the prophecies regarding the redemption of humanity. (Some prophecies are still in the process of being fulfilled like when Jesus returns).

People would try to direct your attention to the law, but the law never saved anyone. Your attention should always be on Jesus. It is impossible to love God or your neighbor without a relationship with the God who is love. This relationship is only possible because of Jesus sacrificing himself in fulfilling the law and the prophets.

We are told to hang all the Law and the Prophets on the two greatest commandments not ignore them, that is why I am asking what is all the law and commandments referring to. I am not asking for doctrines of man.

We no longer look to be served. We look to serve and give our lives for others. No longer fight for privilege, influence and status. We esteem others better than ourselves and put their interests above our own.

Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him

Peace be with all those in the body of Christ

Upvote 0

A. Christian

Sep 21, 2019
Ft. Myers
✟9,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We are told to hang all the Law and the Prophets on the two greatest commandments not ignore them, that is why I am asking what is all the law and commandments referring to. I am not asking for doctrines of man.

We no longer look to be served. We look to serve and give our lives for others. No longer fight for privilege, influence and status. We esteem others better than ourselves and put their interests above our own.

Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him

We are not told to hang anything. It says that all of the law and Prophets are hung on these two. They are just another summarization of the laws the like 10 commandments are. By keeping these two laws you also end up keeping all of the laws, or at least in that culture is was.

It is impossible to keep the laws of God whether there are over 100, 10, or just 2. That is why Jesus came to fulfill those laws and offer us his grace.

Upvote 0

ChristServant

Aug 23, 2020
South
✟26,634.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
We are not told to hang anything. It says that all of the law and Prophets are hung on these two. They are just another summarization of the laws the like 10 commandments are. By keeping these two laws you also end up keeping all of the laws, or at least in that culture is was.

It is impossible to keep the laws of God whether there are over 100, 10, or just 2. That is why Jesus came to fulfill those laws and offer us his grace.

This is the first and great commandment. 39And the second is like it: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ 40On these two commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets.”

What, it states "On these two commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets". What else does this mean, you say "We are not told to hang anything". That is not what scripture says.

Why do people always dismiss this section "On these two commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets" and only quote the two greatest commandments and even try to change what is says, what are you all afraid of?

The only conclusion I can draw from this is you do not understand it or you are just following doctrine taught you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

A. Christian

Sep 21, 2019
Ft. Myers
✟9,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is the first and great commandment. 39And the second is like it: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ 40On these two commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets.”

What, it states "On these two commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets". What else does this mean, you say "We are not told to hang anything". That is not what scripture says.

Why do people always dismiss this section "On these two commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets" and only quote the two greatest commandments and even try to change what is says, what are you all afraid of?

The only conclusion I can draw from this is you do not understand it or you are just following doctrine taught you.

I learned my doctrine alone in prison with just the bible, God, and myself. My beliefs do not come from any denomination.

And your verse does not say "on these two commandments you are to hang all of the Law and Prophets". It only says that all of the law and Prophets are hung on these two commandments. As for the information provided by the scripture God could have hung the law and prophets on these two commandments. In fact comparing his capabilities to our capabilities it is way more likely for God to hang the entirety of the law and Prophets than we are.

Now you first asked for opinions and I gave mine by saving that the law and prophets point to Jesus amd we should focus on him and not the law. So do you disagree with my opinion? Should we focus more on the law than Jesus?

Upvote 0

Jesus is YHWH

my Lord and my God !
Site Supporter
Dec 15, 2011
✟389,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I learned my doctrine alone in prison with just the bible, God, and myself. My beliefs do not come from any denomination.

And your verse does not say "on these two commandments you are to hang all of the Law and Prophets". It only says that all of the law and Prophets are hung on these two commandments. As for the information provided by the scripture God could have hung the law and prophets on these two commandments. In fact comparing his capabilities to our capabilities it is way more likely for God to hang the entirety of the law and Prophets than we are.

Now you first asked for opinions and I gave mine by saving that the law and prophets point to Jesus amd we should focus on him and not the law. So do you disagree with my opinion? Should we focus more on the law than Jesus?

You are right the OT points forward to Christ with the law, types and figures as we read in Hebrews and Romans while the NT looks back on Christ fulfilling the law on our behalf.

As Jesus declared its all about Him from cover to cover.

Luke 24:25-27
And He said to them, "O foolish men and slow of heart to believe in all that the prophets have spoken! 26 " Was it not necessary for the Christ to suffer these things and to enter into His glory?" 27 Then beginning with Moses and with all the prophets, He explained to them the things concerning Himself in all the Scriptures.

John 5:39-40
"You search the Scriptures because you think that in them you have eternal life; it is these that testify about Me; 40 and you are unwilling to come to Me so that you may have life.

Luke 24:44-45
Now He said to them, "These are My words which I spoke to you while I was still with you, that all things which are written about Me in the Law of Moses and the Prophets and the Psalms must be fulfilled." 45 Then He opened their minds to understand the Scriptures,

Jesus said the Holy Spirit will bear witness of HIM

John 15:26
“When the Advocate comes, whom I will send to you from the Father—the Spirit of truth who goes out from the Father—he will testify about me. 27 And you also must testify, for you have been with me from the beginning.

John 16:7-9
But very truly I tell you, it is for your good that I am going away. Unless I go away, the Advocate will not come to you; but if I go, I will send him to you. 8 When he comes, he will prove the world to be in the wrong about sin and righteousness and judgment: 9 about sin, because people do not believe in me

John 16:13-14
But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all the truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come. 14 He will glorify me because it is from me that he will receive what he will make known to you.

Amen!

• Winner
Reactions: Mr. M
Upvote 0

HappyHope

Jul 22, 2019
New Mexico
✟54,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Jesus said to him, “‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.’ 38This is the first and great commandment. 39And the second is like it: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ 40On these two commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets.”

The OT rocks! I wish I had the right words. Of course it points to Jesus but what else? People get hung up on something about it but the underlying truth about God is so there. It is under the surface of the commandments/stories but speaks volumes like a rushing river in force. Most of those nitty gritty surface rules don't apply anymore but essential truths about God and people are there speaking to us practically shouting at times in intensity. Love the OT if you can't tell.

I've read articles where people are rejecting the OT in favor of NT like they are not connected. It's a big loss.

Upvote 0

HappyHope

Jul 22, 2019
New Mexico
✟54,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am an Old Testament lover. My father taught me that. From Genesis to Malachi. I love it. I read it. I teach it at my church and at a local community center.

Never, had anyone "done away with" the Old Testament. Some ignore it. Some say it's out-dated. Here is the truth about that.

God inspired this scripture. All of it, the Old Testament, is profitable for a lot of things - so says the New Testament.

God gave LOTS of laws to his Hebrew people for them and them alone to bear as they were a holy people, a peculiar people, and a people from whom the Messiah would come. They HAD to represent God in a moral manner that was unlike any other people.

There were unusual laws given for them: They HAD to have long, uncut sideburns, they had to have only one crop in a whole field [unlike my grandparents who had multiple vegetables in their fields], they had to have a priest come and declare their homes mold-free as a religious ceremony.

God also gave a 10-piece summary of the moral code. The Ten Commandments.

Jesus Christ gave a 2 [some say three - I do] piece summary of it all.
  • Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, strength, and mind.
  • Love your neighbor as yourself [even your enemies]
  • Love one another [fellow Christians] as He loved us.
It's vital that Christians to understand the biggest picture possible to include the Old Testament in their studies - not just the New.

The Old Testament is not done away with at ALL! It's just that the laws peculiar to Hebrews found in Exodus - Deuteronomy were for them alone.

9/10 of the Ten Commandments are required by Christians to be in obedience to God. I feel "resting on the 7th day" is a wise idea, but to legalize it and to wrongfully change it to "worship" on the 7th day [it was never about worship, but about rest] - is the wrong thinking.

3/3 of Jesus commandments are required to live as Jesus Christ asked us to live.

I love this. I would love to attend your class at church. I like how you mentioned the need for people to look at the OT in the big picture view. I agree. People are easily offended by the OT maybe? Whatever the case, I'm with you. The OT is no done away with at all...just the inflexible rule system. Salvation was always based on faith any way. Even then. The OT is not completely obsolete.

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟283,922.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single

All of the Law and the Prophets hang on the greatest two commandments because they are all examples of what it looks like to love God and our neighbor, so they are all connected to each other. For example, obedience to the command to help the poor is an example of what it looks like to obey the command to love our neighbor, so the command to love does not replace the other commandments, but rather it is the essence of them. If someone's obedience to the greatest two commandments doesn't look like obedience to all of the other commandments, then they are not treating the greatest two as being the fulfillment of the other commandments, so the other commandments can't be done away with without also doing away with the greatest two commandments. Instructions for how to act in accordance with God's nature can't be done away with without first doing away with God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

plain jayne

Aug 11, 2020
Louisiana
✟58,891.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I love this. I would love to attend your class at church. I like how you mentioned the need for people to look at the OT in the big picture view. I agree. People are easily offended by the OT maybe? Whatever the case, I'm with you. The OT is no done away with at all...just the inflexible rule system. Salvation was always based on faith any way. Even then. The OT is not completely obsolete.
Thank you.

People DO find it offensive sometimes as if God is a different God in the Old Testament. Others find it boring. But it's God's Word. We need to read it.

• Agree
Reactions: HappyHope
Upvote 0

A. Christian

Sep 21, 2019
Ft. Myers
✟9,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thank you.

People DO find it offensive sometimes as if God is a different God in the Old Testament. Others find it boring. But it's God's Word. We need to read it.
I love reading through the old testament and suddenly seeing God in a new light. What once appeared to vengeful and angry suddenly shows a God with the deepest love. Though it would be impossible for me to see this without the revelation of the new testament. But the old testament has incredible stories like hosea's.

Sadly many people also try to interpret the new with the old. The Old Testament points to Jesus and looks forward to the new testament. But some still want to live in the old. All I will say on that matter right now is that I through the law am dead to the law, that I might live unto God. I am crucified with Christ, nevertheless I live. Yet not I, but Christ lives within me.

• Agree
Reactions: plain jayne
Upvote 0

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟38,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate

Yeshua instructed His disciples.
Matthew 7:12. Therefore, whatever you want men to do to you, do also to them, for this is
the Law and the Prophets.

To a devious lawyer.
Matthew 22:
But when the Pharisees heard that He had silenced the Sadducees, they gathered together.
35 Then one of them, a lawyer, asked Him a question, testing Him, and saying,
36 “Teacher, which is the great commandment in the law?”

The lawyer testing Him is looking for one answer: THE great commandment.
Of course any good lawyer would proclaim the Shema even as he would no doubt claim
to be one that is a lover of YHWH. But then Yeshua adds a second that is "like unto the first."

37 Jesus said to him, “‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul,
and with all your mind.’
38 This is the first and great commandment.
39 And the second is like it: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’
40 On these two commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets.

Yeshua came so close to passing the bar exam, but then he added this "love thy neighbor" caveat.
Would the lawyer have expected this addition to his one great commandment in the Law?
Is this raising love thy neighbor to a level of proving love of God? Is that the Gospel message?
What did Yeshua teach His disciples?

Matthew 7:12. Therefore, whatever you want men to do to you, do also to them, for this is

Where was the Shema at the sermon on the mount?
The lawyers proclaimed the Shema, while "devouring widows houses".

The Lord rejects them as vanity.

Isaiah 29:
13 Therefore the Lord said:

Inasmuch as these people draw near with their mouths
And honor Me with their lips,
But have removed their hearts far from Me,
And their fear toward Me is taught by the commandment of men,
14 Therefore, behold, I will again do a marvelous work
Among this people, a marvelous work and a wonder;
For the wisdom of their wise men shall perish,
And the understanding of their prudent men shall be hidden.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jesus is YHWH
Upvote 0

HappyHope

Jul 22, 2019
New Mexico
✟54,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thank you.

I have a theory I'm working on. Other than the OT rules being set for a specific people during a specific time, maybe the rules were like symbolic training wheels teaching the rules of love that have since been removed allowing us greater freedom to lovingly fly down the path set before us...or something like that. It's a work in progress. Blessings!

• Friendly
Reactions: Mr. M
Upvote 0

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟38,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Doesn't this require:
Matthew 6:
14 For if you forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you.
15 But if you do not forgive men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive
your trespasses.

Upvote 0