Hands Lifted Up

karen_trustlord

May 7, 2004
✟1,046.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Jan 6, 2006
Hands Lifted Up
http://www.biblegateway.com/resources/commentaries/index.php?action=getCommentaryText&cid=19&source=2&seq=i.2.17.2

Exodus 17:8-16
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Exodus%2017:8-16&version=31;
16 "For hands were lifted up to the throne of the LORD."

Recently I was told that praying with raised hands wasn't biblical. : )
This passage of Moses praying with raised hands came to mind.

Exodus 17:11-13 As long as Moses held up his hands, the Israelites were winning, but whenever he lowered his hands, the Amalekites were winning. When Moses' hands grew tired, ... Aaron and Hur held his hands up—one on one side, one on the other ... So Joshua overcame the Amalekite army with the sword.

Israel engaged with Amalek in their own necessary defence. God makes his people able, and calls them to various services for the good of his church. Joshua fights, Moses prays, both minister to Israel. The rod was held up, raised with hands in prayer, as the banner to encourage the soldiers. Also to God, by way of appeal to him. Moses was tired. The strongest arm will fail with being long held out; it is God only whose hand is stretched out still - forever.

Psalm 136:12 with a mighty hand and outstretched arm; His love endures forever.

Isn't it interesting that we do not find that Joshua's hands were heavy in fighting, but Moses' hands were heavy in praying; the more spiritual any service is, the more apt we are to fail and need help. To convince Israel that the hand of Moses, whom they had been chiding, did more for their safety than their own hands, His rod raised with hands publicly in prayer rather than their sword, the success rises and falls as Moses lifts up or lets down his hands. The church's cause is more or less successful, as her friends are more or less strong in faith, and fervent in prayer. The hands of Moses with help, were steady until the going down of the sun. It was great encouragement to the people to see Joshua before them in the field of battle, and Moses praying above them on the hill. Christ is both to us; our Joshua, the Captain of our salvation, who fights our battles, and our Moses, who ever lives, making intercession above, that keeps our faith strong.

Isaiah 54:17 ... No weapon formed against God's people shall prosper ...

Further investigation shows that the traditional stance for prayer at this time was standing or kneeling with hands raised and palms open to heaven.

Is it a coincidence that Moses assumed this traditional stance in public??

Lord, help us always to lift our hands and hearts up to the throne of the Lord, in prayer. Help us also not to be afraid to ask for help.

Breaking Babylon

Who is this King of glory?
Site Supporter
Jan 1, 2006
West Virginia
✟58,374.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
"I will therefore that men pray everywhere, lifting up holy hands, without wrath or doubting" 1st Timothy 2:8.

"Lift up your hands in the sanctuary, and bless the Lord" Psalms 134:2.

Sometimes when I feel the Holy Ghost at work, I can't help but throw up my hands and praise God. I think it's far from wrong to do this - and definitely not 'unbiblical'. :)

Upvote 0