Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
A week ago or so I got hit with the hamster virus. After a few days my monitor quit and when I turned on my computer it went dead. Neither recovered and if I had a virus cd I couldn't use it with no power in the computer.
I have been reading about it and nothing I have read has seemed as drastic as what happened to my computer and monitor.
It can take over in some respects as it can direct the computer to heat up and then ...
Anyone have any experience with this and offer ideas on how to recoup. I have lost so much losing this computer. I thought of changing the hard drive but it could have disabled anything like even the power box so that is too big a shot in the dark.
I would appreciate any help or suggestions.
Thank you

Taodeching

Oct 29, 2020
Southwest
✟60,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Sounds more like a hardware problem in both cases. I never heard of an virus that can effect a monitor. Sounds like your monitor went out and power supply on your computer apart from a virus but I could be wrong. How old is your monitor and computer, if I may ask?

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Unplug monitor from computer and turn the monitor on, should have some type of ON light, then find a menu button and see if anything appears on the screen. Or borrow a dif computer and plug into the monitor. That should tell you if the monitor is dead or not.

Upvote 0

Petros2015

Jun 23, 2016
undisclosed Bunker
✟289,635.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I can't find any info on the Hamster Virus. But I did see that it is feasible for something to peg your CPU at 100% and basically cripple the cooling. I thought that was a myth, but it seems to be real.

Is there any virus that can cause physical damage?

I guess they call it Hamster because it will be hamster wheeling your cpu until it dies.
I doubt it hit your monitor too, try to see if that is still working on another pc.
How did you identify that you were infected w this thing? Maybe take to Best Buy or similar Geek Squad see if they can do anything for you.

In the meantime, enjoy some WWN. I suspect the hand of BatBoy may be involved here.

upload_2021-3-24_0-22-2.png

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟351,470.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Sounds more like a hardware problem in both cases. I never heard of an virus that can effect a monitor. Sounds like your monitor went out and power supply on your computer apart from a virus but I could be wrong. How old is your monitor and computer, if I may ask?[/Q
I clicked on a game link here and there was the hamster in the middle of the screen all by itself moving slightly, it occurred to me it was loading so I got out of there. The destruction begin the next day. I can't agree with you. I had windows 7 in a computer purchased from my neighbor and he dabbled in inappropriate content which is a common virus associated with inappropriate content according to google. I don't know the computer age but it isn't as old as my other computers, the monitor is probably older as it is wide screen but thin. Since I saw it happen I see no reason to look elsewhere and cause confusion. But thanks

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟351,470.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I clicked on a game link here and there was the hamster in the middle of the screen all by itself moving slightly, it occurred to me it was loading so I got out of there. The destruction begin the next day. I can't agree with you. I had windows 7 in a computer purchased from my neighbor and he dabbled in inappropriate content which is a common virus associated with inappropriate content according to google. I don't know the computer age but it isn't as old as my other computers, the monitor is probably older as it is wide screen but thin. Since I saw it happen I see no reason to look elsewhere and cause confusion. But thanks

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟351,470.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I can't find any info on the Hamster Virus. But I did see that it is feasible for something to peg your CPU at 100% and basically cripple the cooling. I thought that was a myth, but it seems to be real.
I looked closely at the hamster and it had words under it but the best I could read was hamster. Since it was suspect I decided to look on google. It doesn't seem that it has been active of late so I thought maybe it was a trigger to embedded virus from the neighbors inappropriate content us on this computer.

I guess they call it Hamster because it will be hamster wheeling your cpu until it dies.
I doubt it hit your monitor too, try to see if that is still working on another pc.
How did you identify that you were infected w this thing? Maybe take to Best Buy or similar Geek Squad see if they can do anything for you.

In the meantime, enjoy some WWN. I suspect the hand of BatBoy may be involved here.

View attachment 296763
There are many post on google discussing the xhamster and the hamster virus but nothing with that drastic a result. and no out that I could see or saving grace.

Upvote 0

Sophrosyne

Let Your Light Shine.. Matt 5:16
Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟895,522.00
Faith
Christian
Unless it is an older CRT monitor I think before 95 which I think you can try and tinker with modes to possibly damage it I think it is rather unlikely a virus hurt the monitor. Since I don't have but my CPU fan connected to a computer controlled bus and I built the computer for a big overclock and never overclocked it my CPU fan failed on me, locked up and I'm running without one but I have 3 120mm fans one in front one on the side and one in back and a power supply fan and an oversized heatsink that failed fan was on I haven't had any issued even when it was over 90 degrees in the house when we had 115 degree weather for days and the AC could not keep up.

Upvote 0

Petros2015

Jun 23, 2016
undisclosed Bunker
✟289,635.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I clicked on a game link here and there was the hamster in the middle of the screen all by itself moving slightly

Ah, yeah, you only have about 3 seconds to swipe left on that little bugger before he gets you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟351,470.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Ah, yeah, you only have about 3 seconds to swipe left on that little bugger before he gets you.
Wow, so you've been hit by it? What did you do and how much damage?

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟351,470.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

View attachment 296763
Sorry you find humor in it, I sure don't.

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟990,110.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
A week ago or so I got hit with the hamster virus. After a few days my monitor quit and when I turned on my computer it went dead. Neither recovered and if I had a virus cd I couldn't use it with no power in the computer.
I have been reading about it and nothing I have read has seemed as drastic as what happened to my computer and monitor.
It can take over in some respects as it can direct the computer to heat up and then ...
Anyone have any experience with this and offer ideas on how to recoup. I have lost so much losing this computer. I thought of changing the hard drive but it could have disabled anything like even the power box so that is too big a shot in the dark.
I would appreciate any help or suggestions.
Thank you

Based on what I've rea,d the Hamster virus is not a virus. It seems that the Xhamster inappropriate content site has a heap of adware for you to click and follow. It looks like many of the 'click and follow' links may include a host of problems like push advertising and general interference with your PC. There is no suggestion that these problems affect your monitor.

The suggested solution is to go to "Uninstall Programs" and delete any programs which look suspicious or unusual. This may sound drastic but if your PC has been crippled by virus' you have nothing to lose.

@ewq1938 's advice to test your monitor separately makes sense. It's highly unlikely that it's directly affected by any virus. The problem (if it exists and is a virus)) is almost certainly in your PC.

Last tip - if you sort things out - get a decent anti virus program.

OB

Upvote 0

elytron

Oct 5, 2008
California
✟290,467.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You probably need to format the drive, then reinstall your Operating System. Malware is difficult to fully remove some times. Going to want to start over with a fresh OS. Sadly your files may be infected as well.

When you first turn on your computer do you see any boot logo? If so you may be able to recover the machine.

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟351,470.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Based on what I've rea,d the Hamster virus is not a virus. It seems that the Xhamster inappropriate content site has a heap of adware for you to click and follow. It looks like many of the 'click and follow' links may include a host of problems like push advertising and general interference with your PC. There is no suggestion that these problems affect your monitor.

The suggested solution is to go to "Uninstall Programs" and delete any programs which look suspicious or unusual. This may sound drastic but if your PC has been crippled by virus' you have nothing to lose.

@ewq1938 's advice to test your monitor separately makes sense. It's highly unlikely that it's directly affected by any virus. The problem (if it exists and is a virus)) is almost certainly in your PC.

Last tip - if you sort things out - get a decent anti virus program.

OB
Your advice is moot since there is no power in the computer.
I don't know why but it seems no one is reading my posts as all of these things everyone is asking and saying are answered in my posts to which I have posted more than once. as you can see but maybe that is the point.
Thanks anyway to all of you except petros who finds it funny.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟990,110.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
Your advice is moot since there is no power in the computer.
I don't know why but it seems no one is reading my posts as all of these things everyone is asking and saying are answered in my posts to which I have posted more than once. as you can see but maybe that is the point.
Thanks anyway to all of you except petros who finds it funny.

Try a different power point :)

OB

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,098,602.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Your problem are much bigger than a virus now. You have hardware problems.

It sounds like your power supply might have blown up. If that happened; it is possible that the surge took out your monitor. If that happened because of a virus; the question that would arise my mind would be "why did it blow up?" "Was it overloaded by the motherboard?" Before I went looking at the motherboard; I would ask this question: Did you smell any smoke?

There is only one problem with this whole line of thinking.

You said your monitor went dead first. Then you said that you turned your computer on; then it went dead. Does this mean that it came on before it went dead? You need to be sure of these details, in order to figure out the source of the problem.

It's unlikely that everything just happened to go wrong at once by chance. It far more likely that one thing led to another. You need to get to the source of the problem; or you could possibly damage replacement components.

If you are sure that stated that order of events correctly; then I would ask this question: Have you tried turning on the computer with the monitor disconnected from it? There is usually a buffer on the motherboard, to protect the motherboard from a failing monitor. However, if the monitor blew up, and surged the buffer; maybe the buffer is short; and it is holding down the power supply.

If the monitor doesn't plug directly into the motherboard, but rather plugs into a video card; try removing the video card, to see if the computer comes on. Make sure that the computer is unplugged before doing this; and try do do this in as close to a static free environment as you can. Stay away from carpet. handle the board by the edges. Don't touch any of the components on the board; and don't touch the connectors. (the part that slides into the card slot.)

You can get a good used computer on Ebay, on the cheap.

If it is your files that you are concerned about, and the HD is still good; you can put that drive in tandem with the drive in another computer. Boot off of the drive that is in the new computer; then go to your start menu and click "computer."

There you will see the drive from the damaged computer. If you click on it; you can view the files. You can then copy and paste those files to the drive of the new computer.

However, as another member stated in this thread; those files could possibly be infected too. You would do well to scan that drive for viruses.

Do any or all of this at your own risk; or leave it to a qualified technician.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: Taodeching
Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟351,470.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Thank you for reading my posts before responding. The order is as I said without a doubt. I have not checked to see how the monitor is attached to the motherboard. I did try both hardware on different sources with the same results. I can not believe that after seeing the hamster and having these two problems that it was a coincidence. It just can't be. If you see a hamster on you screen, the exact colors of a hamster on a orange background and that is all you see except small letters under the hamster, you will make no mistake about what it is from now on. Don't stop to read the words under the hamster, leave. Had I left when I got suspicious i don't think I would be here.
Thanks for your comments. A antivirus will do no good as it stands right now. I see no need for it at the moment.
Have a good night.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Petros2015

Jun 23, 2016
undisclosed Bunker
✟289,635.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
You said your monitor went dead first. Then you said that you turned your computer on; then it went dead. Does this mean that it came on before it went dead? You need to be sure of these details, in order to figure out the source of the problem.

Yes that is weird; I can't believe it could burn out monitor AND computer.
(but I believe it is your experience)
Is your computer using a power supply or just a straight power cable into the wall?
If it has a power supply, I'm suspicious of the power supply.
What happens if you move the computer into another room and plug it in there, any luck?

Upvote 0