• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Ham and Cheese worry

Kostilaks

Aug 24, 2018
Macedonia
✟72,424.00
Country
Greece
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
One day, in the past, I returned from the super-market and brought some things I like to buy. I saw that I had run out of ham and gouda cheese slices for sandwich. I was like " I am not going to return to the super market just for them" and some thoughts without my will popped up about promise to God and maybe punishment.

I do not remember what was the motive for these thoughts without my will. and I do not remember what words without my will popped up. but I remember that creating a compulsion.

not buy ham and gouda cheese slices the day I run out of them. I must wait for the next day to buy them.

I kept the compulsion. but one day, I wanted to buy them the same day I run out of them. I knew it was just a compulsion. I was able to persuade my ocd to leave me alone with thoughts like

me: they were thoughts without my will. and the ocd covers only that specific day. so the compulsion must be kept only for that day, that I run out of ham and cheese slices, and the thoughts popped up. the compulsion was kept and done perfectly. I am now free to buy ham and cheese whenever I want, even if I run out of them the same day.

I was able to do the compulsion only once or two, and then I was free not to do the compulsion anymore.

when ocd was giving me worries I was telling my ocd that the compulsion should be kept only for the day it was created.

Yesterday, I went to the market and it was a day I had run out of ham and cheese. I was able to buy them the same day, but ocd was giving me worries. I bought ham and cheese, the previous time, on the same day that I run out of them because I was able not to do this compulsion any more. I did it once or twice. and that was enough. but this time, ocd was giving me worries and I bought other products and avoided buying ham and cheese.

I returned home and went for coffee. after coffee, I wanted to visit super market again and buy some other products. I went to the super market and I bought ham and cheese.

today, my ocd started giving me worries

ocd: you made a mistake. maybe you were able not to do the compulsion anymore, and buy ham and cheese whenever you want, even if you run out of them the same day. but maybe this time is different cause you already went once to the super market and returned home. then you went for coffee but you maybe had already decided after coffee to go to the market to buy ham and cheese just because you were stupid enough not to buy them the first time you went there.

me: so?

ocd: so. maybe it seems like you went to the super market and returned home and then you decided to return to the market, after coffee/ just to buy ham and cheese.

me: so???

ocd: that seems like doing a specific action that you were not supposed to do.

me: what do you mean?

ocd: when the compulsion was created which was not to return to the market to buy ham and cheese, you kept the compulsion and did it and you thought it was only valid for that day only and the specific part of the compulsion that you should have kept was not to return for ham and cheese. not to return for home and cheese.

me: the last days I was able to buy ham and cheese without any worries.

ocd: because you were going to the super market for other things too. there is a difference between running out of ham and cheese and buying them along with other products the same day you run out of them, with one supermarket visit and running out of ham and cheese, going to the supermarket the same day, buying other products except ham and cheese, returning home, and then returning to the market to buy ham and cheese. the stop you made to the cafeteria does not count.

me: the compulsion was to be kept only for that day.

ocd: who says so? why you are so sure? maybe you made a promise to God not to return to the supermatket to buy ham and cheese. and maybe that counts forever. maybe it was ok to buy ham and cheese the same day you run out of them, with 1 visit to the supermarket, but you had already made 1 visit and you did not buy them. maybe you should have waited for the next day visit but you returned for a second visit to buy ham and cheese. and maybe you broke maybe a valid promise to God

Darkhorse

just horsing around
Aug 10, 2005
mid-Atlantic
Visit site
✟288,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Pardon me for not being familiar with your situation (I see that you post a lot), but:

Are you getting therapy from a competent professional?
Do they have you on any medications? If so, do you take them as prescribed?

Reactions: Mari17
Upvote 0

fwGod

Dec 19, 2005
✟65,262.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
One day, in the past, I returned from the super-market and brought some things I like to buy. I saw that I had run out of ham and gouda cheese slices for sandwich. I was like " I am not going to return to the super market just for them" and some thoughts without my will popped up about promise to God and maybe punishment.

I do not remember what was the motive for these thoughts without my will. and I do not remember what words without my will popped up. but I remember that creating a compulsion.

not buy ham and gouda cheese slices the day I run out of them. I must wait for the next day to buy them.

I kept the compulsion. but one day, I wanted to buy them the same day I run out of them. I knew it was just a compulsion. I was able to persuade my ocd to leave me alone with thoughts like

me: they were thoughts without my will. and the ocd covers only that specific day. so the compulsion must be kept only for that day, that I run out of ham and cheese slices, and the thoughts popped up. the compulsion was kept and done perfectly. I am now free to buy ham and cheese whenever I want, even if I run out of them the same day.

I was able to do the compulsion only once or two, and then I was free not to do the compulsion anymore.

when ocd was giving me worries I was telling my ocd that the compulsion should be kept only for the day it was created.

Yesterday, I went to the market and it was a day I had run out of ham and cheese. I was able to buy them the same day, but ocd was giving me worries. I bought ham and cheese, the previous time, on the same day that I run out of them because I was able not to do this compulsion any more. I did it once or twice. and that was enough. but this time, ocd was giving me worries and I bought other products and avoided buying ham and cheese.

I returned home and went for coffee. after coffee, I wanted to visit super market again and buy some other products. I went to the super market and I bought ham and cheese.

ocd: you made a mistake. maybe you were able not to do the compulsion anymore, and buy ham and cheese whenever you want, even if you run out of them the same day. but maybe this time is different cause you already went once to the super market and returned home. then you went for coffee but you maybe had already decided after coffee to go to the market to buy ham and cheese just because you were stupid enough not to buy them the first time you went there.

ocd: so. maybe it seems like you went to the super market and returned home and then you decided to return to the market, after coffee/ just to buy ham and cheese.

ocd: when the compulsion was created which was not to return to the market to buy ham and cheese, you kept the compulsion and did it and you thought it was only valid for that day only and the specific part of the compulsion that you should have kept was not to return for ham and cheese. not to return for home and cheese.

ocd: because you were going to the super market for other things too. there is a difference between running out of ham and cheese and buying them along with other products the same day you run out of them, with one supermarket visit and running out of ham and cheese, going to the supermarket the same day, buying other products except ham and cheese, returning home, and then returning to the market to buy ham and cheese. the stop you made to the cafeteria does not count.

ocd: who says so? why you are so sure? maybe you made a promise to God not to return to the supermatket to buy ham and cheese. and maybe that counts forever. maybe it was ok to buy ham and cheese the same day you run out of them, with 1 visit to the supermarket, but you had already made 1 visit and you did not buy them. maybe you should have waited for the next day visit but you returned for a second visit to buy ham and cheese. and maybe you broke maybe a valid promise to God
It's commendable that you practice to curb your intake of ham and cheese. That is disciplining yourself for the sake of good health.

To practice keeping a valid promise to God is a matter of practice in order to get better at what you promise to do, or not do.

Whatever you start to practice will at first result in lapsing what you promised to do, or not do.

So keep practicing in keeping your promise to God, and trust Him that He will help you to do better with every time that you practice it.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟830,504.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married

Consider this Scripture:
"I will instruct you and teach you the way you should go; I will give you counsel and watch over you. Do not be like the horse or mule, which have no understanding; they must be controlled with bit and bridle to make them come to you. Many are the sorrows of the wicked, but loving devotion surrounds him who trusts in the LORD" (Psalm 32:8-10).

What this means is that if we delight ourselves in the Lord and seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, we will make the right decisions without having to worry about specific "guidance". The Scripture says that those who are led by the Spirit of God are the children of God. This means that as we fellowship with the Lord and seek to live holy lives for His glory, the Holy Spirit will lead us without us having to worry about it. He is leading us all the time, whether we realise it or not.

The Scripture also says, "A person may plan their way, but the Lord guides their steps". This means that we can do our own planning according to our common sense and judgment, but the Lord guides our steps. Therefore we don't have to worry about whether this or that decision or direction is right or not. We carry on and make our own decisions, trusting in the Lord to guide our steps. Often we see God's guidance more clearly when we look back and see how we have been guided, when we didn't know that we were being guided at the time.

I am in the process of selling our home, and buying one in another city. It is being a bit of a mission, with one issue after another to cope with and decide which is best. It seems confusing with the twists and turns of agents, offers, moving, paying bills, insurances, packing, etc. But when I look back over the last three months, I see a distinct process of events as if the events have been ordered in a particular way. This shows me that I am being guided, along with me having to make the wisest decisions I can. I nearly decided on a house, but when I got the builder's report, it showed that there was a serious fault in the sub-floor, and the house could shift right off its piles in a serious earthquake, which is possible in that city, which has had two major earthquakes already. I see that God shut that door, and immediately opened another door to another house which could be much more sound, and suitable for us.

The point I am making is that we live our lives trusting God that He is guiding us in the right way. When things don't go the way we plan or want, we need to trust God that He knows what He is doing. That is the surrendered life. The Scripture says: "Be not anxious for anything, but by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, make your requests to God, and the peace of God that passes all understanding will keep your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus" (Philippians 4:6-7).

We don't have to worry about the decisions we make. We trust God that we will make the right ones, and if we make a mistake, He is able to put things right and bail us out.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Grace1234

Oct 22, 2019
Bangkok
✟14,751.00
Country
Thailand
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I don't know if this could help you. But anyway, I always feel great to know that I'm not alone expereince those ocd. Hope this help. So, I would want to tell you that my ocd always pop up to makes a promise to not do or buy thing I want to in specific day too. Or sometimes I can't remembered what I promise but I think I have. Sometimes I think I might have promise something 2 minutes ago, I would go or do something as similiar as what I have done 2 minutes ago and say nonono no promises in my mind.

Upvote 0

Mari17

Jun 17, 2017
Newport
✟142,902.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

This is a very good example of the way that OCD causes us to overanalyze. Keep standing up to the OCD, and "disobeying" it! (It sounds like you're doing that some already, which is great!)

• Agree
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0