Ohio
✟23,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Engaged
I wasn't going to start this topic until next month but considering the fact I got out the Halloween decorations already and I'm listening to Halloween music and I've got my witch's hat on right now,.. I figured that since the stores are already getting Halloween merchandise in and it's next month already we can start talking about it now. I'm just curious but what is everybody's opinion of Halloween?

I realize that there's dark history behind it but I actually LOVE Halloween and it's my second favorite holiday next to Christmas!!! :D I still love dressing up and pretending to be somebody that I'm not for a day a year to help pass out candy. (Although I'm not sure whether or not there will be trick-or-treating this year.)

Point being,.. dressing up,.. carving pumpkins,.. eating candy,.. and watching scary movies,..(and usually having parties and going on hayrides) I don't really see the harm in it all because almost everything about it is fake and just for fun. Still,.. I wanted to know your opinions on it. Me personally, I think if trick-or-treating existed when Jesus was a kid He would have loved dressing up and getting free candy just like any other kid. :)

Oh and this is for all of the other Halloween lovers out there. I've been listening to this radio station every Halloween ever since I was back in high school and they never fail to make me scream. :D (I will be starting more Halloween type topics as it gets closer as well.)

Halloweenradio.net, every Halloween we make you scream!

tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Since I found out it's the devil's holiday, I will no longer celebrate it
That's fine, more candy (well...for those who can eat candy that is) for the rest of us.
tulc(who can't eat candy but does love Halloween anyway) :clap:

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟379,648.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Christmas is a truly holy and spiritual day for Christians. It is much less than that for unbelievers who are not seeking or receptive to the Gospel. Many will celebrate and enjoy it, while missing the spiritual part of it, the best part of it.

Celebrate Halloween like a hardened atheist will celebrate Christmas. The more anyone celebrates Halloween with the emphasis that Christians put on Christmas, the closer to danger they are.

Reactions: Aquatic Waves
Upvote 0

April_Rose

Jul 4, 2020
Ohio
✟23,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Engaged
Christmas is a truly holy and spiritual day for Christians. It is much less than that for unbelievers who are not seeking or receptive to the Gospel. Many will celebrate and enjoy it, while missing the spiritual part of it, the best part of it.

Celebrate Halloween like a hardened atheist will celebrate Christmas. The more anyone celebrates Halloween with the emphasis that Christians put on Christmas, the closer to danger they are.

So,.. is that a no?

Upvote 0

April_Rose

Jul 4, 2020
Ohio
✟23,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Engaged
Oh yeah,.. I forgot to mention how much I used to love go trick-or-treating as a kid,.. now I just buy my own bag of candy. I can't believe that some adults without kids still do it though. (And yes I've seen them before,.. their excuse was they brought their dogs along.) It's fun for kids, but once you reach a certain age then it becomes something else,... begging! :rolleyes:

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟379,648.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
So,.. is that a no?
No, many hardened atheists enjoy the trappings of Christmas - presents, family, lights, certain decorations, etc. They'll want nothing to do with church or Jesus. Certain costumes and decorations are fine. Candy is fine. Getting into occult stuff or celebrating occult stuff is not fine. I'm not going to say that watching a monster movie is anywhere near the same level as what happens when covens get together and practice witchcraft, but be aware. Remember that you are a Christian, born again into God's family, your identity is with Christ, and in Christ. Whatever you do for Halloween, you might ask, "why is a Christian wearing _____ or putting up a ______ for decoration or watching a movie that celebrates ______?" If it doesn't fit, you may need to quit.

Upvote 0

April_Rose

Jul 4, 2020
Ohio
✟23,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Engaged
No, many hardened atheists enjoy the trappings of Christmas - presents, family, lights, certain decorations, etc. They'll want nothing to do with church or Jesus. Certain costumes and decorations are fine. Candy is fine. Getting into occult stuff or celebrating occult stuff is not fine. I'm not going to say that watching a monster movie is anywhere near the same level as what happens when covens get together and practice witchcraft, but be aware. Remember that you are a Christian, born again into God's family, your identity is with Christ, and in Christ. Whatever you do for Halloween, you might ask, "why is a Christian wearing _____ or putting up a ______ for decoration or watching a movie that celebrates ______?" If it doesn't fit, you may need to quit.

download.jpg

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟379,648.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Reactions: April_Rose
Upvote 0

April_Rose

Jul 4, 2020
Ohio
✟23,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Engaged
And I believe it is a healthy and sound one. I'm not completely against it, but I don't believe we should get all the way into it. I celebrated it as a kid, and I haven't gotten into the occult yet.

And neither have I. There's quite a big gap between the occult and carving pumpkins, dressing up, watching movies, and eating candy. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

sunshineforJesus

is so in love with God
Feb 19, 2014
Sterling Ct
✟716,814.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I dont like Halloween at all since I find it creepy all the skeletons,and ghosts and etc.
I do however love the candy and most yrs enjoy helping out at our churches harvest party.

Upvote 0

April_Rose

Jul 4, 2020
Ohio
✟23,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Engaged
I dont like Halloween at all since I find it creepy all the skeletons,and ghosts and etc.
I do however love the candy and most yrs enjoy helping out at our churches harvest party.

Well, who doesn't love the candy? :D

Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟335,132.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
For me, Halloween is partly a fun autumn festival with lots of candy and costumes, and partly the eve of All Saints' Day, in which I reflect on death with a mixture of celebration and melancholy and fierceness.

Alas, trick-or-treating and Halloween parties probably can't happen this year, yet another casualty of this pandemic which has been going on for SO LONG NOW. But we'll put up some decorations, and eat some candy, and remember those who have gone before us. I don't think it'll take much to make us reflect on death; death is in front of us all the time now. But maybe I'll pause to thumb my nose at death, and say "not today".

Upvote 0