Earth
✟1,466,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Also, as exaggerated as Exorcism and demonic possession is in that movie (I don't even think a Catholic would argue against that point), the moral message of the movie is very Christian.

The entire film is about how in an increasingly secular society, religion needs to have a place in society and is even necessary for people.

The entire film involves atheistic characters - the Priest, who has "lost his faith" and is skeptical with anything supernatural, who struggles with the guilt of his mother's death, while the mother whose daughter is possessed is a divorced single mom, a Hollywood star, who clearly isn't religious in the slightest.

While struggling with problems that they try to solve without resorting to religion, whether it's through "science and medicine" or through self-argumentation, they are unable to find peace, and then, in resorting to religion, find the peace they desire, where the "demons" are banished.

yep, not a movie I would recommend, but still there was an idea that good triumphs over evil.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,234.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
:rolleyes::p:p:cool: moral decay from jazz??!? Wes Montgomery is truly diabolical! I attribute most of our cultural collapse to Tina Turner, Billy Joel, The Beach Boys, and Hall & Oates! It’s obvious that Satan is trying to convert us with evil songs like “Proud Mary,” “Uptown Girl,” “Surfing Safari,” and “Kissin My List.” Truly dark, demonic stuff!!

I guess Satan isn't what he used to be.

Upvote 0

AMM

A Beggar
Site Supporter
May 2, 2017
Virginia
✟329,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
If we want REAL Satanic horrors, look no further than your local "Gay Pride" parade....or your local abortion clinic, or the divorce marathon across our nation. Look at the greed. I would say the guy driving up into the parking lot at church driving a $90,000 Tesla has more of the diabolical in him than the kid dressed as Freddy Krueger walking down the street looking for chocolate.
I think greed is a really prominent issue in our society today, and it's one of those sins that we tend to hide under the rug and ignore since it's just so common. I mean, I'm guilty of it too -- I have so many more things than I need, I don't give money to homeless people, I hardly give to charity, etc. But it's also hard to see other people do it especially when there are parishes (like mine) that are so poor and don't have our own building or anything.

It's not limited to the laity either... I heard a sermon a few months ago where the priest was complaining about how in black baptist churches, the "pastor is treated right" because the parishioners pay them enough to drive a nice car, but in Orthodoxy, priests (and this priest in particular) can't afford nice cars.

Upvote 0

JasonV

Nov 2, 2017
USA
Visit site
✟26,455.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Well I certainly hope you are living in a monastery up in Alaska in a small cell amidst the bears and eskimos with all the holier-than-thou action you're dropping on me, Jason. I don't call up my bishop when asking what music to listen to.

For being a new member, you sure are sitting on a high pedestal, brother.

I apologize if my posts came across as "holier-than-thou". My comments reflect my own personal experience and understanding. I have been asked by many individuals to bless their homes because of alleged "bad spirits". In the process of cleansing the home, I generally request a purge of the home of questionable materials: music, books, posters, videos, and even lurid games. Afterward things always seem to be at peace. What other conclusion should I draw from this?

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I think when it comes to rock music, discernment is needed. something like Skynyrd's Free Bird isn't so bad, but George Harrison's My Sweet Lord, which he admits was designed to trick people into doing a mantra to Krishna, is worse in my opinion than Marilyn Manson because it comes in a harmless package.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I agree. I have read the book a couple of times. William Peter Blatty did an amazing job with the novel, and the film is largely true to the book. The book was a variation on real-life exorcisms that Blatty, then a Georgetown guy, investigated with priests. It has a strong message as well as strong and vulgar language. I don't recommend it to fifth graders. LOL. But it is a solid film for adults. Satan isn't a clean-mouthed guy. I always cracked up at people who are offended and shocked by the vulgarity....as if Satan is Captain Kangaroo or Barney.

Also, as exaggerated as Exorcism and demonic possession is in that movie (I don't even think a Catholic would argue against that point), the moral message of the movie is very Christian.

The entire film is about how in an increasingly secular society, religion needs to have a place in society and is even necessary for people.

The entire film involves atheistic characters - the Priest, who has "lost his faith" and is skeptical with anything supernatural, who struggles with the guilt of his mother's death, while the mother whose daughter is possessed is a divorced single mom, a Hollywood star, who clearly isn't religious in the slightest.

While struggling with problems that they try to solve without resorting to religion, whether it's through "science and medicine" or through self-argumentation, they are unable to find peace, and then, in resorting to religion, find the peace they desire, where the "demons" are banished.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That is helpful. Thank you!

I believe he is a part of the Genuine Orthodox Church of America, and also a priest, or deacon.

Only pointing this out as I think it helps to explain the reasoning behind his response a bit better.

To be clearer, as I don't mean to offend Jason, I am only pointing out his church as the GOC-A seems stricter to me on different issues, and so that seems pertinent to the response to gurney.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I was told in my parish years ago that I should send my sons and daughter to public school complete with vulgarity, sex talk, bullying, filth, humanism, and garbage or else homeschool them.....NO PRIVATE PROTESTANT SCHOOLS! Well, I'm a bit of a rebel at times. I followed my prayers. I sent them to a Lutheran school. My kids have also heard my rock music and my oldest son loves progressive rock. They've seen some PG-13 movies, my oldest has seen a few R-rated flicks with me that had some rough lingo.

In my house there are plenty of R-rated movies, some heavy metal CD's, tons of rock CD's. And yet guess what? Go to my parish church on Sunday morning and look for the 3 best-behaved, polite, loving kids in the whole room? You'll see they're my kids. And look at the hardest-working teacher on my campus---you'll see me. Everyone comments on how much integrity, honesty, passion, and goodness my wife and I put into our jobs as nurses and teachers, and we have random strangers regularly come up to us in various restaurants saying, "excuse me, but I just wanted to say to you that it's wonderful how you all pray as a family, and you have the most well-behaved, sweet, thoughtful kids! We can tell that just by looking at you! Good job!"

Yep, I have the movie "Alien" in my DVD collection. I'm a John Carpenter fan. I love my horror and sci-fi movies! But guess what? We're doin' ok! :):):) I don't think Robert Plant and Jimmy Page have turned my kids into serial killers yet....

I apologize if my posts came across as "holier-than-thou". My comments reflect my own personal experience and understanding. I have been asked by many individuals to bless their homes because of alleged "bad spirits". In the process of cleansing the home, I generally request a purge of the home of questionable materials: music, books, posters, videos, and even lurid games. Afterward things always seem to be at peace. What other conclusion should I draw from this?

Reactions: Lukaris
Upvote 0

TheLostCoin

A Lonesome Coin
Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2016
Ohio
✟234,420.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I agree. I have read the book a couple of times. William Peter Blatty did an amazing job with the novel, and the film is largely true to the book. The book was a variation on real-life exorcisms that Blatty, then a Georgetown guy, investigated with priests. It has a strong message as well as strong and vulgar language. I don't recommend it to fifth graders. LOL. But it is a solid film for adults. Satan isn't a clean-mouthed guy. I always cracked up at people who are offended and shocked by the vulgarity....as if Satan is Captain Kangaroo or Barney.

While I think that the way the possessed girl acts is a bit when she's throwing tantrums is a bit - much - I think that the way the demon interacts with the people is well done.

I still really like the dream sequence, where the demon taunts the Priest in his dream of the guilt he feels over his mother, suggesting that "she's in hell now with us" and "you weren't there for her."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RobNJ

So Long, And Thanks For All The Fish!
Aug 22, 2004
✟166,532.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think when it comes to rock music, discernment is needed. something like Skynyrd's Free Bird isn't so bad, but George Harrison's My Sweet Lord, which he admits was designed to trick people into doing a mantra to Krishna, is worse in my opinion than Marilyn Manson because it comes in a harmless package.

Not to mention, conning the court, into believing that Harrsion ripping off the tune of "He's So Fine" was "unintentional".

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That dream sequence struck me, too. The guilt Satan continues to use over and over throughout is amazing. Love that movie, but it still freaks me out. I have to really be in a tough mindset to watch it....

While I think that the way the possessed girl acts is a bit when she's throwing tantrums is a bit - much - I think that the way the demon interacts with the people is well done.

I still really like the dream sequence, where the demon taunts the Priest in his dream of the guilt he feels over his mother, suggesting that "she's in hell now with us" and "you weren't there for her."

• Agree
Reactions: SashaMaria
Upvote 0

JasonV

Nov 2, 2017
USA
Visit site
✟26,455.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
However, the insanely talented slide guitar talent George had coupled with "While My Guitar Gently Weeps," "Cheer Down," "Dream Away," "Something," "Taxman," and his Traveling Wilbury's tunes all redeem him of ANY musical sins!

George is my favorite Beatle...period! Pair him with my hero, Jeff Lynn, and we have the musical equivalent of a peanut butter cup!

Not to mention, conning the court, into believing that Harrsion ripping off the tune of "He's So Fine" was "unintentional".

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Best Skynyrd songs---"Saturday Night Special" and "Swamp Music." The first is a touch violent LOL

Reactions: ArmyMatt
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JasonV

Nov 2, 2017
USA
Visit site
✟26,455.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I was told in my parish years ago that I should send my sons and daughter to public school complete with vulgarity, sex talk, bullying, filth, humanism, and garbage or else homeschool them.....NO PRIVATE PROTESTANT SCHOOLS! Well, I'm a bit of a rebel at times. I followed my prayers. I sent them to a Lutheran school. My kids have also heard my rock music and my oldest son loves progressive rock. They've seen some PG-13 movies, my oldest has seen a few R-rated flicks with me that had some rough lingo.

In my house there are plenty of R-rated movies, some heavy metal CD's, tons of rock CD's. And yet guess what? Go to my parish church on Sunday morning and look for the 3 best-behaved, polite, loving kids in the whole room? You'll see they're my kids. And look at the hardest-working teacher on my campus---you'll see me. Everyone comments on how much integrity, honesty, passion, and goodness my wife and I put into our jobs as nurses and teachers, and we have random strangers regularly come up to us in various restaurants saying, "excuse me, but I just wanted to say to you that it's wonderful how you all pray as a family, and you have the most well-behaved, sweet, thoughtful kids! We can tell that just by looking at you! Good job!"

Yep, I have the movie "Alien" in my DVD collection. I'm a John Carpenter fan. I love my horror and sci-fi movies! But guess what? We're doin' ok! :):):) I don't think Robert Plant and Jimmy Page have turned my kids into serial killers yet....

How blessed you are to have such compliments. I struggle daily for holiness. Pray for me, a sinner.

Upvote 0

Jesus4Madrid

Orthodox Christian
Jul 21, 2011
✟90,072.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I'm not in Archbishop Gregory's church. If you want to know, the link is in my bio.
So you belong to another schismatic sect: index.html

You have espoused a number of views here that are not Orthodox. That’s ok, of course. Non Orthodox are welcome here. But you are not in communion with the Orthodox Church, by your own admission.

This is an Orthodox forum and I admonish you to be respectful, as a guest here, since you are not in communion with the Orthodox faith. I should hope that your calling yourself “Orthodox” would not cause confusion.

Upvote 0

JasonV

Nov 2, 2017
USA
Visit site
✟26,455.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
So you belong to another schismatic sect: index.html

You have espoused a number of views here that are not Orthodox. That’s ok, of course. Non Orthodox are welcome here. But you are not in communion with the Orthodox Church, by your own admission.

This is an Orthodox forum and I admonish you to be respectful, as a guest here, since you are not in communion with the Orthodox faith. I should hope that your calling yourself “Orthodox” would not cause confusion.

The definition of "orthodoxy" for the purposes of TAW necessarily excludes me. However I am most definitely Orthodox, and take offense at your insinuation.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The definition of "orthodoxy" for the purposes of TAW necessarily excludes me. However I am most definitely Orthodox, and take offense at your insinuation.

you shouldn't take offense, it's just honesty. like Rome ain't Catholic no matter what they say, and the non-Chalcedonians aren't Orthodox either.

Upvote 0

Jesus4Madrid

Orthodox Christian
Jul 21, 2011
✟90,072.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Why take offence? You don’t consider us Orthodox. We are following a false religion, according to the link you provided. We think we are Orthodox; you think you are.

This is a forum for canonical Eastern Orthodox, with which you do not commune. You have expressed your grave differences with our Church in numerous threads. You are welcome here, but please do not pose as a canonical Eastern Orthodox poster, because you are not. That is fine, God bless you. But let’s just be honest.

Last edited:
Upvote 0