Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
there is more than enough of the other stuff that makes me think there is something sinister behind it all.

You just brought an irony to mind.

There's all the pseudo-history that links many (especially western) Christian holy days, traditions, etc. to paganism with charges of evil.

But the irony (to me) is that - now having done that, and believed the lie - we intentionally do associate evil with it - and evil is all to willing to take advantage of that association we've bought into, and make it truly evil.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,069.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I remember when I was a kid in the 80's people were OBSESSED with Satanism in rock music. It was hilarious. Some evangelicals spread this cassette tape where supposedly Black Sabbath, Zeppelin, ELO (yes!!! ELO! LOL!!!), the Eagles, Iron Maiden, and a bunch of other bands put backwards Satanic brainwashing messages into their music. The idea was that rock music was secretly the Devil's new mass brainwashing mechanism.

The Eagles?! ELO!? They even went back and claimed the Beatles had messages. I loved the "My Sweet Satan" thing. Hilarious. Supposedly Zeppelin put "my sweet Satan" in "Stairway to Heaven." :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

The same hysterical loons that made up that nutty stuff were going around saying that there were razor blades in the Halloween candy down in Texas. Enough morons believed it and it spread like wild fire.

I grew up on Zeppelin, ELO, the Eagles, Maiden, all that stuff. Still love it today with a passion. And you don't see Gurney drinking the nectar of Shaitan!

• Winner
Reactions: Tutorman
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I remember when I was a kid in the 80's people were OBSESSED with Satanism in rock music. It was hilarious. Some evangelicals spread this cassette tape where supposedly Black Sabbath, Zeppelin, ELO (yes!!! ELO! LOL!!!), the Eagles, Iron Maiden, and a bunch of other bands put backwards Satanic brainwashing messages into their music. The idea was that rock music was secretly the Devil's new mass brainwashing mechanism.

The Eagles?! ELO!? They even went back and claimed the Beatles had messages. I loved the "My Sweet Satan" thing. Hilarious. Supposedly Zeppelin put "my sweet Satan" in "Stairway to Heaven." :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

The same hysterical loons that made up that nutty stuff were going around saying that there were razor blades in the Halloween candy down in Texas. Enough morons believed it and it spread like wild fire.

I grew up on Zeppelin, ELO, the Eagles, Maiden, all that stuff. Still love it today with a passion. And you don't see Gurney drinking the nectar of Shaitan!
I remember that goings on about the music. My grandma had a cassette player that would play backwards and I never heard anything but "mooooo-ahhhhh-ymmmmm-rhhoooiiii"

I remember that Meatloaf and AC/DC had some pretty questionable lyrics but they didn't try to hide it. And Ozzy Osborne cashed in on the paranoia and played to it.

But my best friend and I used to come home from school every day and turn on the long version of "Stairway to Heaven" at full blast - bittersweet memories looking that far back.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,069.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I hear ya. I love me some Led Zeppelin. At some point in each person’s life, we all need to get the Led out..

I remember that goings on about the music. My grandma had a cassette player that would play backwards and I never heard anything but "mooooo-ahhhhh-ymmmmm-rhhoooiiii"

I remember that Meatloaf and AC/DC had some pretty questionable lyrics but they didn't try to hide it. And Ozzy Osborne cashed in on the paranoia and played to it.

But my best friend and I used to come home from school every day and turn on the long version of "Stairway to Heaven" at full blast - bittersweet memories looking that far back.

Upvote 0

JasonV

Nov 2, 2017
USA
Visit site
✟26,455.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private

The question you might ask yourself is this: Would the Saints listen to it? If we are striving for holiness (presumably we are), then should we listen to it?

I am convinced that essentially all music from the Jazz era to present is demonically inspired. Look at how our morals have decayed in just the last 100 years.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,069.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
:rolleyes::p:p:cool: moral decay from jazz??!? Wes Montgomery is truly diabolical! I attribute most of our cultural collapse to Tina Turner, Billy Joel, The Beach Boys, and Hall & Oates! It’s obvious that Satan is trying to convert us with evil songs like “Proud Mary,” “Uptown Girl,” “Surfing Safari,” and “Kissin My List.” Truly dark, demonic stuff!!

The question you might ask yourself is this: Would the Saints listen to it? If we are striving for holiness (presumably we are), then should we listen to it?

I am convinced that essentially all music from the Jazz era to present is demonically inspired. Look at how our morals have decayed in just the last 100 years.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I think it's a hand-in-hand kind of thing. I don't think we can blame music for society's decay. But as morals have become more debased, people begin to enjoy and sing along with themes they might have rejected previously.

I can look back at the music from earlier periods - my grandma sometimes played her music for me when I was a child and I remember themes like a couple being scandalized because they had accidentally broken curfew. Then you had the 50s themes .... going into pretty much a free-for-all by the 80s (if lyrics like "I'm on the highway to hell" could be considered such). I don't know what happened after that period.

(I listened to a bit of C&W after that, then came "the Disney Years" and Babysongs and Kidsongs lol. After that I listened to hymns and contemporary Christian a few years, and for the past several years mostly just sacred music, chant, etc.)

Sorry for the rabbit trail. But I think people's morals and the music that became popular, TV shows, and so on influenced each other.

It's kind of funny (not the ha-ha kind) that I used to watch some tv shows as a kid that didn't seem to impinge on my morality. I've thought of them all these years as rather innocent. But when I go back now and watch them on "oldies" stations, I see a lot of overt sexual posturing and much freer reference to things like same sex attraction than I remember.

It makes me kind of sad for innocence lost. I mean as a society, not me personally. I have had some rough spots personally but I seem to have always had an overriding idealistic mindset that sees things as better than they are. Maybe that comes from being raised largely by grandparents and great-grandparents. In some ways I feel like I am from another time, and so since I've also now seen half a century go past, I really DO see a very great change.

Reactions: “Paisios”
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I hear ya. I love me some Led Zeppelin. At some point in each person’s life, we all need to get the Led out..
You mentioned a few of my favorites but I didn't see Foreigner, Heart, or REO Speedwagon ...

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,069.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Gurneys mainstays are
Yes
Rush
Toto
Steely Dan
The Police
Boz Scaggs
Eagles
Floyd
Zep
Michael McDonald
Queen
Kiss
Did
Ozzy
Beatles

You mentioned a few of my favorites but I didn't see Foreigner, Heart, or REO Speedwagon ...

Upvote 0

JasonV

Nov 2, 2017
USA
Visit site
✟26,455.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
:rolleyes::p:p:cool: moral decay from jazz??!? Wes Montgomery is truly diabolical! I attribute most of our cultural collapse to Tina Turner, Billy Joel, The Beach Boys, and Hall & Oates! It’s obvious that Satan is trying to convert us with evil songs like “Proud Mary,” “Uptown Girl,” “Surfing Safari,” and “Kissin My List.” Truly dark, demonic stuff!!

Does your bishop listen to it? Do the monks? Would the saints? Is this the music sung by angels? If not, why do you?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,069.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well I certainly hope you are living in a monastery up in Alaska in a small cell amidst the bears and eskimos with all the holier-than-thou action you're dropping on me, Jason. I don't call up my bishop when asking what music to listen to.

For being a new member, you sure are sitting on a high pedestal, brother.

Does your bishop listen to it? Do the monks? Would the saints? Is this the music sung by angels? If not, why do you?

Upvote 0

Phronema

Orthodox Christian
Angels Team
Supporter
Dec 2, 2016
Florida Panhandle
✟738,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Well I certainly hope you are living in a monastery up in Alaska in a small cell amidst the bears and eskimos with all the holier-than-thou action you're dropping on me, Jason. I don't call up my bishop when asking what music to listen to.

For being a new member, you sure are sitting on a high pedestal, brother.

I believe he is a part of the Genuine Orthodox Church of America, and also a priest, or deacon.

Only pointing this out as I think it helps to explain the reasoning behind his response a bit better.

To be clearer, as I don't mean to offend Jason, I am only pointing out his church as the GOC-A seems stricter to me on different issues, and so that seems pertinent to the response to gurney.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jesus4Madrid

Orthodox Christian
Jul 21, 2011
✟90,072.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I believe he is a part of the Genuine Orthodox Church of America, and also a priest, or deacon.

Only pointing this out as I think it helps to explain the reasoning behind his response a bit better.

To be clearer, as I don't mean to offend Jason, I am only pointing out his church as the GOC-A seems stricter to me on different issues, and so that seems pertinent to the response to gurney.
And I’m part of the Super Genuine And We Mean It Orthodox Church.

I thought you were joking. But GOC-A exists: Genuine Orthodox Church of America - OrthodoxWiki

That is a schismatic group and non Canonical. If Jason belongs to that group, he is not in communion with Orthodoxy.

• Agree
Reactions: Phronema
Upvote 0

Phronema

Orthodox Christian
Angels Team
Supporter
Dec 2, 2016
Florida Panhandle
✟738,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

I thought you were joking. But GOC-A exists: Genuine Orthodox Church of America - OrthodoxWiki

That is a schismatic group and non Canonical. If Jason belongs to that group, he is not in communion with Orthodoxy.

Understood. As a lurker of 2+ years in TAW I observe quite a bit :) I was just trying to help gurney to understand that Jason isn't part of Orthodoxy, or "world orthodoxy" as Jason has put it.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,455,670.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I think it's a hand-in-hand kind of thing. I don't think we can blame music for society's decay. But as morals have become more debased, people begin to enjoy and sing along with themes they might have rejected previously.

I can look back at the music from earlier periods - my grandma sometimes played her music for me when I was a child and I remember themes like a couple being scandalized because they had accidentally broken curfew. Then you had the 50s themes .... going into pretty much a free-for-all by the 80s (if lyrics like "I'm on the highway to hell" could be considered such). I don't know what happened after that period.

(I listened to a bit of C&W after that, then came "the Disney Years" and Babysongs and Kidsongs lol. After that I listened to hymns and contemporary Christian a few years, and for the past several years mostly just sacred music, chant, etc.)

Sorry for the rabbit trail. But I think people's morals and the music that became popular, TV shows, and so on influenced each other.

It's kind of funny (not the ha-ha kind) that I used to watch some tv shows as a kid that didn't seem to impinge on my morality. I've thought of them all these years as rather innocent. But when I go back now and watch them on "oldies" stations, I see a lot of overt sexual posturing and much freer reference to things like same sex attraction than I remember.

It makes me kind of sad for innocence lost. I mean as a society, not me personally. I have had some rough spots personally but I seem to have always had an overriding idealistic mindset that sees things as better than they are. Maybe that comes from being raised largely by grandparents and great-grandparents. In some ways I feel like I am from another time, and so since I've also now seen half a century go past, I really DO see a very great change.

I think this is very true. to piggyback on this, even if you look at the horror movie genre, it's changed for the worse.

The Exorcist was the most demonic movie of all time, but even in that film, good wins in the end. sacrifice and repentance are what beat the demon in that movie. look at horror movies now, and almost always nowadays, evil wins in the end.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

RobNJ

So Long, And Thanks For All The Fish!
Aug 22, 2004
✟166,532.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Well, since these Otherdox schismatic groups are just "protestants in Orthodox clothing".. Maybe they want to emulate their fundagelical counterparts by promoting 4th rate imitations of popular music, that kvetches about "world orthodoxy".

Reactions: Kristos
Upvote 0

John Bowen

Supporter
Aug 16, 2018
dueba
✟48,940.00
Country
Fiji
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
People would never think of surfing the Internet without some kind of virus protection or firewall , but leave their minds open to anything .Halloween is a perfect example of how dark forces have managed to create inroads into people's minds under the guise of a innocent fun that centers around children taking in dark images and being scared for fun and anything fun can't be bad or can it ? Just as a computer eventually crashes from a virus people crash also , but we call it suicide. And suicides are usually up during the end of the year during the darkest days when people can't get into the Christmas spirit that celebrates the Light Of the World coming in because of being effected by the darkness of Halloween I never knew this as a kid going trick or treating cause no one told me , but I know better now .Same with rock music I never knew most rock musicians follow some form of satanism some as open Satan worshipers look up how many where influenced by Alister Crowley . The rock beat forces your attention down from your heart and the higher things of life to your groin that's why it feels good add openly negative suggestive lyrics another inroad . Both Halloween and rock music have nothing to do with God and his light therefore they are of the darkness and of Satan . The old saying garbage in garbage out never more true

Last edited:
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I think this is very true. to piggyback on this, even if you look at the horror movie genre, it's changed for the worse.

The Exorcist was the most demonic movie of all time, but even in that film, good wins in the end. sacrifice and repentance are what beat the demon in that movie. look at horror movies now, and almost always nowadays, evil wins in the end.
I actually didn't realize that - I don't watch horror movies. I was surprised over the past couple of years to see a couple of sci-fi/action films that ended with the aliens winning and earth is doomed ...

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,455,670.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I actually didn't realize that - I don't watch horror movies. I was surprised over the past couple of years to see a couple of sci-fi/action films that ended with the aliens winning and earth is doomed ...

I don't either really, but I would check the plot when buddies would want to go when I was enlisted.

Reactions: ~Anastasia~
Upvote 0

TheLostCoin

A Lonesome Coin
Supporter
Sep 29, 2016
Ohio
✟234,420.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

Also, as exaggerated as Exorcism and demonic possession is in that movie (I don't even think a Catholic would argue against that point), the moral message of the movie is very Christian.

The entire film is about how in an increasingly secular society, religion needs to have a place in society and is even necessary for people.

The entire film involves atheistic characters - the Priest, who has "lost his faith" and is skeptical with anything supernatural, who struggles with the guilt of his mother's death, while the mother whose daughter is possessed is a divorced single mom, a Hollywood star, who clearly isn't religious in the slightest.

While struggling with problems that they try to solve without resorting to religion, whether it's through "science and medicine" or through self-argumentation, they are unable to find peace, and then, in resorting to religion, find the peace they desire, where the "demons" are banished.

• Agree
Reactions: ArmyMatt
Upvote 0