Park Hills
✟37,601.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I've always let my kids be whatever they wanted to be for Halloween but this year it's different because we are trying to live a more Christian like lifestyle. So I know the Bible tells us that we're not to do anything that involves witchcraft, demons, ect. But this includes even dressing up right? That's what I got out of it. I ask because my oldest son wants to be a vampire . My husband told him it's fine cause it's just Halloween it doesn't really mean anything. My son has special needs and I kind of don't want to tell him this is just something else he can't do. So how bad will it be if he dresses up as a vampire? Will it hurt my relationship with God? Is it wrong?

Drick

Aug 22, 2017
Alabama
✟18,884.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hi, not a parent, but I have handled kids a lot.

Don't be that parent. Despite what a bunch of superstitious, intrusive old control-freaks might tell you, dressing your child up as a vampire or a ghost or a robot, or whatever isn't going to lead them or you to Satan. It's just dressing up your kids funny so people will give them candy, all in good fun, not a big deal.

Now, if Halloween were about teaching your kids how to remove other children's blood with needles, or putting curses on people, or something like that, then you might want to consider abstaining.

Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟335,910.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The part of Halloween that involves bad or scary things -- ghosts, spiders, vampires, etc. -- I see as a way of controlling and laughing at our fears. Is death scary? Sure, and today I'm going to dress up as a skeleton or a ghost and laugh in the face of death. Are vampires and werewolves scary? They would be if they were real, so today we're going to look them in the face and laugh at them. And so on. I think it's a healthy thing to do once in a while.

Upvote 0

WilliamBo

Site Supporter
Nov 2, 2016
East coast USA
✟164,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I was taught early in my Christian walk not to celebrate it. It was started as the holiday where they celebrate beheading saints of God, the jack-o-lanterns are supposed to resemble the heads of the saints. ''Hallow'' comes from the Lords prayer, ''Hallow be thy name.'' Its the satanic high holiday. Read this article about the history of Halloween-

http://www.born-again-christian.info/christian.view.of.halloween.htm

Upvote 0

Drick

Aug 22, 2017
Alabama
✟18,884.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I'd rather my life be pleasing to God than fit in with the world
Okay, that's fine. It's one thing to "please God", and it's another thing to make everyone's life more obnoxious because a holiday we celebrate now used to be something different.

Upvote 0

WilliamBo

Site Supporter
Nov 2, 2016
East coast USA
✟164,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Okay, that's fine. It's one thing to "please God", and it's another thing to make everyone's life more obnoxious because a holiday we celebrate now used to be something different.

I don't want to be ''obnoxious'' to people. Warning Christians about what Halloween really is is done out of love. Most people won't listen, I know that.... because people don't want to hear truth. But for me personally, I will never partake in Halloween activities ever again

Upvote 0

LionL

Believer in God, doubter of religion
Jan 23, 2015
The United Kingdom of Great Britain and N. Ireland
✟37,036.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
It was started as the holiday where they celebrate beheading saints of God,
It is actually a leftover from the ancient harvest festival here in Britain.

the jack-o-lanterns are supposed to resemble the heads of the saints.
They're actually just meant to be frightening faces which scare off evil spirits.

''Hallow'' comes from the Lords prayer, ''Hallow be thy name.''
Hallow means Holy. Halloween means Holy Eve because it's held on the eve of All Saints Day.

Its the satanic high holiday.
I'll take your word for that

Read this article about the history of Halloween
No thanks. If that's where you got your 'facts' then it's a dubious source of information.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
it's another thing to make everyone's life more obnoxious because a holiday we celebrate now used to be something different.
Is it different? To the witches that started it? I don't think so.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

GeorgeJ

<Insert Custom Title Here>
Jul 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟70,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0
Sep 5, 2017
Park Hills
✟37,601.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for your input. Looks like I have 3 do's and 3 don't's. I'm still unsure. I think I will pray and ask for guidance. My kids and I had a long discussion about this both last night and this morning and one of them said they are not going to wear anything scary because of what the Bible says the other one is asking his Christian friends today and my oldest still wants to be a vampire. Thanks again.

Upvote 0

JAM2b

Sep 20, 2014
✟93,117.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
If your husband said it's OK, then I would go with that, especially if he already told your son he could.

The things that most people are doing on halloween are not at all related to what the Bible talks about as witchcraft. The two things aren't related unless you are intentionally making it that way.

I personally don't enjoy scarey stuff. However, I realize that these things are relatively recent fictional fantasy, just pretend stuff. I think it is a non-issue.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Too late for the discussion, but my daughter is going as Toothless the dragon this year.
21687774_10214564246849290_4982683472702074170_n (1).jpg

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums