• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Halloween and "cultural appropriation".

Discussion in 'Ethics & Morality' started by Aldebaran, Oct 26, 2020.

1. Ken-1122

Ken-1122 Newbie

+1,135
    Atheist
    Private
    What culture encourages white people to get into the entertainment industry? Can you give an example of this?
    Can you give an example of this?
    I’m saying if your claim were true, you would see a lot of black people complaining about those actors playing insulting roles. This just is not the case. If you disagree, provide a few examples of people complaining about this.
    As far as people of color, white is just as much of a color as black, or brown.
    As far as your point, black and brown people are not in the same position historically as (so called) people of color either
    No I don’t. Have you ever heard of this happening?
    If I recall correctly, Elizabeth Warren had a tiny fraction of Native American blood in her family, but that didn’t prevent her from claiming she was part Native American while running for President. Did she receive any social consequences for this? No; as a matter of fact Donald Trump received more negative press by calling her “Pocahontas” than she received by making such a ridicules claim while in pursuit of the highest office of the land

2. muichimotsu

muichimotsu I Spit On Perfection

+945
    United States
    Skeptic
    Single
    US-Green
    The same culture that promotes white actors more often than black even when given the opportunity otherwise

Cornrows come immediately to mind, or dreadlocks, as if black people wearing them is, to an extent, seen as somehow negative (I don't know why), while white people doing the same thing is seen as cool, like celebrities who have done it (easy google search)

No, it doesn't have to be a lot to be a complaint, you're expecting everyone to not be hesitant to do so because of a culture that still marginalizes black people while also saying they're accepting out the other side of their mouth

You're really just trying to defend white people more and I don't want to use that term reserved for black people that try to do that. I trust you know what I mean?

So you're trying to say black and brown are not people of color? The use of that is based on the white glorifying attitude where non whites were called "colored". Or have you never heard that as a slur?

I don't think I claimed that absolutely, I said it was a possibility. If anything, people are usually fired for racist rants and such that are on camera, not just doing something like blackface at a Halloween party, that's just shaming by society, which is sufficient

Because that's trivializing Native Americans by referring to her as such and she has recanted that claim, she has the humility to admit she was wrong, Trump has no such attitude about anything, including with the presidential election, to say nothing of a pandemic he handled as well as I'd handle herding ducks (which is terribly)

So yeah, she has received social consequences, because people called her out on it and she admitted she was wrong

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...27df76-2962-11e9-984d-9b8fba003e81_story.html

3. Ken-1122

Ken-1122 Newbie

+1,135
    Atheist
    Private
    And what culture is that?
    I think you’ve got that backwards; I have seen far more hostile directed at white people wearing cornrows and dreadlocks than black people for wearing them. Below are a few examples of hostility directed towards white people with such hair styles.

Can you provide a few examples of hostility towards black people for such styles?
    If what you said were true, there would be a lot of complaints; I bet you couldn’t even provide one example; could ya?
    I personally have a problem with the term “people of color” because the term was born from bigotry. It was originally coined back in the late 1700’s by racist white people to separate themselves from black and brown people, it eventually fell out of fashion till the 1970’s when black and brown bigots brought the term back in an effort to unite themselves against white people. Any term born of hatred and bigotry is a term I have a problem with.
    No; you didn’t use the word “possibility”.
    Again; if what you said were true, she would not have tried to claim to be Native American in the first place because it would have hurt her chances of becoming president. The reason this practically 100% white lady tried to claim another race is because it would have helped her chances of being president, and this white privilege you speak of is not as much of a benefit that you think it is.

4. muichimotsu

+945
    United States
    Skeptic
    Single
    US-Green
    American culture in the historical trend of glorifying white people

I mean, if you want to cherry pick, sure, that's not what I was saying with criticism of black people in wearing it, because a negative view can just suggest an unfair standard of what beauty is, even with the "black is beautiful" movement that was meant to counter those ideas

I don't have to, because you're putting words in my mouth, I never said hostility, a specific form of negativity that I did not entail with the double standard

Again, you're confusing complaints with a biased view that white people still tend to have in regards to particular hairstyles that are common with black people, the kind of white glorification I'm talking about, where black people are still othered.

Pretty sure they called them "colored", not people of color, which seems to ahve origins in French with regards to mixed race people, not in a derogatory manner. But in English, there is a potential overlap, I'll accept, with colored as a racial slur against black people and people of color, which would be intended as a distinction

Interpreting it as racist is not the same as demonstrating that it was used that way. And no, POC is not used in the weaponized fashion you claim it is with no evidence beyond painting a group in that manner. There are objections these days in the consideration of BLM, that it might be a form of black erasure, but that's a separate issue from whether the expression is necessarily racist or bigoted.

When society regards whiteness as the norm and it pretty conclusively did for centuries, that isn't just going to go away with technological advances and society moving forward in some form or fashion, it's still going to be there

The Perils of “People of Color”

If you don't think people are fired because of something very specfic like dressing in black face, fine, I didn't say it was absolutely the case.

That's dishonestly assuming she did that purely for that reason and not because she genuinely believed she was and was making an attempt at solidarity. You're ascribing malicious intent here instead of accepting that it was out of ignorance.

No one's 100% white, I'm pretty sure any white person will find what is DNA that has markers indicative of African descent, given that, if I'm not mistaken, all humans can trace their ancestry, or certainly most of us, to African ancestors

Actually it is a benefit, because there is the benefit of the doubt, white people aren't treated the same for the same issues where people of color would do the same thing. Rachel Dolezal is another good example, it was seemingly years before anyone called her out on that because she was a white person claiming she was black

5. NBB

NBB Well-Known Member Supporter

+1,017
    Uruguay
    Christian
    Single
    This cultural appopriation thing is stupid and i don't know why people give credit to the people who believes in this.
    It would seem that if there is enough outrage from some wackos everything can become offensive.

6. Ken-1122

Ken-1122 Newbie

+1,135
    Atheist
    Private
    Oh! I don’t know if you’ve noticed, but that culture doesn’t exist anymore, it died a long time ago. There might be a few individuals lingering around with those attitudes, but as far as anything that could be called an american culture like that; no more.
    There is no single American standard; everybody has their own individual standard for what is beautiful.
    Ahh so you can provide no examples to support your claim. Now why am I not surprised???
    No, I’m confusing you making a claim with your ability to support said claim with something other than your word. I know; I should know better by now; right?
    No I’m not ascribing malicious intent. I personally believe she actually thought she was as she claimed to be. But if what you said were true, her family would not have started that false rumor that they were anything other than white, and she would not have let anybody know she was of mixed heritage because she would have thought it would have ruined her chances of being President.

7. muichimotsu

+945
    United States
    Skeptic
    Single
    US-Green
    Methinks you're confusing what I mean by glorifying white people. I'm not saying white supremacy, I'm saying an implicit systemic aspect that isn't possessing of agency that creates biases in people's perspective that will push them to favor white perspectives over people of color

I didn't reduce it to a purely cultural standard, but you can't claim it is purely nature and there is no nurture aspect to a person's standards of beauty

No, because I'm not buying into your leading question that wasn't what I claimed to begin with. Try again

If you're only taking my claims, then you're not doing your part of the discussion and *gasp* researching to try and show a counterpoint. It's like you're just relying on a strawman you keep formulating of my positions to tear down and take no responsibility yourself, because you don't regard this as a dialogue

Again, you're suggesting malicious intent and agency behind this from someone instead of it just being a mistake on her part, overcomplicating the whole scenario. Her chances of being nominated were based on various factors, reducing it to race is disingenuous and intentionally muddying the waters

8. Ken-1122

Ken-1122 Newbie

+1,135
    Atheist
    Private
    No need to repeat, I understand what you are saying. I telling you that culture does not exist anymore.
    And you can’t claim there is more negativity directed at black people wearing cornrows and dreadlocks, than when white people wear them; which is what I was objecting to.
    No, you just keep making empty claims, and sometimes I cannot prove them wrong, so I ask you to support your claim with an outside source. Why do you have a problem with that?

9. muichimotsu

+945
    United States
    Skeptic
    Single
    US-Green
    You can keep saying it, that doesn't make it so. Can you substantiate this universal negative?

You're assuming negativity = hostility, when it doesn't, the latter is a variation of the former
    When this is about a culture that, by your own admission, marginalized black people and other minorities for centuries, why is it so impossible for you to consider that systemically, this is something that will affect people even if it isn't something that possesses agency?

10. Ken-1122

Ken-1122 Newbie

+1,135
    Atheist
    Private
    No, but if it did exist, I'm sure you would have pointed it out by now.
    No I am not.
    The culture has changed over the years.

11. muichimotsu

+945
    United States
    Skeptic
    Single
    US-Green
    And we're back to you assuming all racism has to be explicit, which is patently absurd and goalpost shifting on its face

Then you'd understand my claim is not that there is hostility, but a double standard in regards to black people wearing certain hairstyles versus white people doing the same thing and it being normalized differently

That doesn't work in the way you appear to think it does, the changes are superficial at best, people just acting like the progress we have in certain areas means that the culture itself has changed rather than cultural regard based on legislation, etc, which is like expecting white nationalists to just up and disappear once civil rights were given to black people in the 60s, rather than them just trying to rebrand themselves like Richard Spencer and the like, claiming black people should be grateful to white supremacy.

12. Ken-1122

Ken-1122 Newbie

+1,135
    Atheist
    Private
    I am suggesting your claim is upside down and backwards (as wrong as you could possibly get) I’m saying not only is there a double standard against whites having dreadlocks vs blacks having them (considered normal for blacks to have them, but abnormal for whites), but there is ALSO a hostility against white people having them; and I provided outside sources to support my case. Thus far you’ve provided nothing, so you will have to excuse me if I neglect to take your claim seriously.
    No, I agree much of the change in today’s culture is the result of legislation imposed upon previous cultures.

13. muichimotsu

+945
    United States
    Skeptic
    Single
    US-Green
    If you think you have anything that substantial to support the double standard you claim exists (which might be a variable based on relative socioeconomic position, a more affluent white person able to get away with it, or someone that's a celebrity two examples that come to mind)

You provided anecdotal evidence at best, your perspective and those of others is not necessarily justified and isn't indicative of society at large because, as I already noted, it's an anecdotal claim, not representing anything substantive for statistical significance.

Here's a few links for a counter example, even if I'll admit this isnt' going to be absolutely representative, as you seemed to imply with 3 examples that are reflective of a particular attitude that the hairstyle is necessarily an ethnic thing versus a racial thing, since those are 2 different qualities

Amandla Stenberg Tackles "Double Standard" of Beauty for Black vs. White Women - E! Online

Six non-black women on why they wear box braids despite the controversy

When Non-Black Minorities Wear Cornrows And Locs, Is It Appropriation?

At the core is a form of cultural appropriation that's severed from the ethnic aspects that may have come about and is, if nothing else, demeaning to black people in the same way Orientalism is demeaning to Southeast Asians, even if both are meant to be "positive" in intent

That doesn't erase the prior cultural norms at all, they just become more recalcitrant (see Confederate sympathizers and apologists for just one example in terms of the South almost 150 years after the Civil War ended)

14. Ken-1122

Ken-1122 Newbie

+1,135
    Atheist
    Private
    None of your links supported your claim that white people wearing dreads is considered acceptable and black people wearing dreads are seen as unacceptable. Care to try again?

Actually it does. History has shown time and time again that when the legal system requires oppressed people to be treated equally, this has an effect on how society will begin to see those previously oppressed people.

15. coffee4u

coffee4u Well-Known Member

+1,649
    Australia
    Christian
    Married
    I am part of the gaming community and even there if someone places dreads on a white character there will be backlash and these are pixels

16. Ken-1122

Ken-1122 Newbie

+1,135
    Atheist
    Private
    Yeah; try telling that to Muichimotsu.
    It doesn’t matter what type of hair you have, if you refrain from combing or brushing it, the hair will naturally turn into dreadlocks (free forming dreads). This happens with black hair, white hair, any type of hair. For a black person to tell a white person that it is okay for blacks to allow a natural occurrence to happen to their hair, but it is not okay for the white person to allow the same natural occurrence to happen to theirs, is absurd and should not be taken seriously

Last edited: Dec 5, 2020
  17. Strathos

Strathos No one important

+5,280
    Christian
    Single
    US-Democrat
    Never happened to me.

18. muichimotsu

+945
    United States
    Skeptic
    Single
    US-Green
    The problem is appropriation of that idea in a way that doesn't give fair acknowledgement to black women in regards to dreads as something that, while not necessarily exclusive to African cultures, may be more common, yet it is now being utilized in a way that tokenizes and others black people as exotic, in the same way as doing so with Southeast Asian things through Orientalism.

An effect is not the same as something that is marked enough to reflect anything more than superficial lipservice to the idea: people's hearts are not going to change, their social biases are not going to change, only particular behaviors and expressions will change, like how people don't call black people the n word so much (though apparently it's still done even as recently as this year or even before Trump was elected), they prefer to just saying they're thugs or other ideas that don't seem racist at first glance, but are, in the same vein as ghetto.

19. muichimotsu

+945
    United States
    Skeptic
    Single
    US-Green
    You seem to think all hair works the same, but I'm pretty sure that's not the case given the variations that exist for the quality of hair as straight, curly, wavy, oily, dry, etc.

You assume it's done naturally when that's not all the instances to begin with, I brought up box braids in my links, did you forget that?

20. Ken-1122

Ken-1122 Newbie

+1,135
    Atheist
    Private
    Nobody needs to give acknowledgment to black women in regards to dreads; because black women have no right to claim dreads as their own. You seem to have this idea that Africa is one country with one culture; it is not. Africa is a continent consisting of 54 separate nations; each nation with different cultures and though some of those nations have a culture of dreadlocks, most don’t. For a black man/woman born in the USA to wear dreadlocks is cultural appropriating to the same extent as a white man/woman born in the USA wearing dreadlocks. If you are not from any of those specific African nations where dreadlocks is a historic part of their culture, using your logic; you are cultural appropriating regardless of your skin color. It is the ultimate of ignorance and hypocrisy for an African American with dreadlocks to point the finger at a white person with dreadlocks and cry foul
    Many people do change and for those who don’t, their children will change. We see this in how attitudes towards blacks, women, gays, etc. have changed from one generation to the next.