not a nutter
Site Supporter
Sep 15, 2005
✟269,195.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
What does your church fellowship do for Hallowe’en?

We have had the import of “trick or treat” from North America in the last 10-20 years, but the young people have not got the nice message from America, so it’s trick or trick. Depending on when Hallowe’en falls, kids (and thugs) can be out for 3 or 4 nights and there is no fixed start or end time.

We do three things as a congregation - we give everyone printed labels for the treats with a Christian message. We also have a “Light Party” in church, where children can come in costume and do crafts, sing, eat, etc. We send out our young people to give out gifts to households.

Personally, I buy some fun size chocolate bars, but keep the lights off and curtains tightly-drawn, so scoff them myself.

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,273,104.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
We offer trunk or treat at our church not only for our members but to the local neighborhood and suggest to member parents that biblical costumes are preferred over spooky ones.

Reactions: gordonhooker
Upvote 0

gordonhooker

Franciscan tssf
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2012
Wellington Point, QLD
Visit site
✟274,602.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
We offer trunk or treat at our church not only for our members but to the local neighborhood and suggest to member parents that biblical costumes are preferred over spooky ones.

I love your tag line Tigger - a very Franciscan sentiment good on Martin Luther for quoting it..... :)

Reactions: Tigger45
Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,245.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Like Gordon, I'd have to say that Halloween is not really a thing here. I mean, each year stores seem to stock more cheap plastic decorations and stuff, but it's not really part of the culture. The parish doesn't do anything.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Although some secular decorations and parties happen here in South East Queensland it is not really big thing here at all. It is not something that comes up as a Parish event.
That's about the way it is here also, in my experience. But I think the answer really depends on which church we have in mind.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,245.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
In Australia, Albion, I'd say very few churches would do anything, because it's not something that's a big deal in general, so we're not trying to match secular events or compete with them.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I have gotten that impression (about Australia), but here it is a big deal. Every year it seems, more people decorate their homes, buy more and better costumes, plan gatherings, and so on. The movies shown on TV for two weeks prior are overwhelmingly oriented towards the day. Merchants make the most of the opportunity, etc. That's about society in general.

But as for the churches...the liturgical ones don't do much, certainly not inside the church itself, and I think that the Catholic and Anglican ones do not want to detract from All Saints, while the Lutherans have Reformation Sunday to point towards and celebrate.

The only church that I remember from personal contact making a big deal of the occasion was, strangely enough, a very, very Evangelical one that thought it had to actively combat Halloween by hosting its own celebration of sorts, appropriately substituting something Biblical for every custom that is normally associated with Halloween!

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,245.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I'd be open to doing something liturgical - prayer vigil for the Eve of All Saints or something - and it could be really interesting to make something of it. But I just don't see any demand, and I doubt many people would come.

Upvote 0

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,273,104.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
We’ll have our typical Wednesday evening service the 31st. Not sure if the theme will be in accordance with the Eve of All Saints. I know that following Sunday service is dedicated to those who have passed on this previous year.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I'd be open to doing something liturgical - prayer vigil for the Eve of All Saints or something - and it could be really interesting to make something of it. But I just don't see any demand, and I doubt many people would come.

Oh dear. I gave the wrong impression, but I see now that I was visualizing what I was remembering but not explaining the images in my head very well.

When I said that that church felt it had to have a special occasion in order to counter Halloween, I meant that they would frown on a kid getting dressed up as Eeyore (from Winnie-the-pooh) or engaging in such as bobbing for apples on Halloween...

...but at their own church party, you would see Balaam's Ass bobbing for ”pomegranates.” That sort of thing. Naturally, you could also play ”Pin the Bible verse” on (something or other)….

• Friendly
Upvote 0

Shane R

Priest
Site Supporter
Jan 18, 2012
Southeast Ohio
✟566,860.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
In my area, a Halloween celebration is the type of thing one would expect the mega church crowd and the smaller Baptist and Nazarene groups that ape them to put on. That said, I suspect the organist would be more amenable to the parish putting on Halloween than a commemoration of a saint's day or one of the Marian festivals (Dormition is on my Ordo Kalendar).

Upvote 0

Naomi4Christ

not a nutter
Site Supporter
Sep 15, 2005
✟269,195.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
We have a real thing going on the the U.K. right now about “plastic”. Every small use of plastic is judged, such as drinking straws and dental floss.

OTOH, I made a rare foray into town today and there was so much plastic tat for Hallowe’en. The shops that sold this stuff were really busy.

I know this has nothing to do with church, but just something I observed.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

gordonhooker

Franciscan tssf
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2012
Wellington Point, QLD
Visit site
✟274,602.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
We have a real thing going on the the U.K. right now about “plastic”. Every small use of plastic is judged, such as drinking straws and dental floss.

OTOH, I made a rare foray into town today and there was so much plastic tat for Hallowe’en. The shops that sold this stuff were really busy.

I know this has nothing to do with church, but just something I observed.

There is a huge against single use plastic here in Australia at the moment. I am pleased about it actually there is so much wastage and plastic pollution in the environment it does need to be cleaned up.

Upvote 0