Hakeem Jeffries, Pelosi's likely replacement, supports commission to study slavery reparations

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟276,129.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Reactions: SashaMaria

tz620q

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2007
Carmel, IN
✟573,616.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It seems strange that he wraps this bill that he co-authored with the justification that it would start an open dialogue on slavery in the U.S. That seems a worthy discussion; but starting with "You owe me money!" is such a misguided approach. Where has the wisdom of people like Martin Luther King gone?

Upvote 0

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟276,129.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It seems strange that he wraps this bill that he co-authored with the justification that it would start an open dialogue on slavery in the U.S. That seems a worthy discussion; but starting with "You owe me money!" is such a misguided approach. Where has the wisdom of people like Martin Luther King gone?
I remember a time when there was something pretty darned close to racial equality in America; the riots and all that stuff from the 1960s were all over with, and integration was fairly well achieved; non-discrimination laws were in place, and anybody, from any race, could achieve whatever level of success they wanted, with a little bit of integrity and determination. Sure, it wasn't perfect, but it was pretty close.

And then Obama was elected president. I'm not saying he was the cause, or that he was at fault; all I know is that racial relations in this country have all been downhill ever since 2008.

Upvote 0