PollyJetix

Feb 15, 2017
Virginia
✟35,433.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Do you think bibically masculine and feminine exist-people say nurturing and comforting is feminine.

Wouldn't plunging necklines be nudity based on Ezekiel 16:7? That is more than simply being immodest.

Regarding what you said on statements-it reminds me of how demons may not necessarily look the way they are portrayed in Halloween costumes but the fact people are intentionally glorifying it is wrong.
I don't understand how your question (ending with a period) relates to the conversation.
I didn't say nurture and comfort are exclusively feminine traits.
God tells fathers to bring up their children in the nurture and admonition of the Lord.
And the Holy Ghost is God, yet is the Comforter.

As to nudity versus immodesty... Partial nudity, especially of certain areas, is immodesty.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,450,961.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Do you think bibically masculine and feminine exist-people say nurturing and comforting is feminine.

They're wrong. Both males and females "nurture and comfort," but we do it differently.

Wouldn't plunging necklines be nudity based on Ezekiel 16:7? That is more than simply being immodest.

"Modesty" as defined by Paul is non-ostentatious dress, not merely non-sexual dress.

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
They're wrong. Both males and females "nurture and comfort," but we do it differently.

"Modesty" as defined by Paul is non-ostentatious dress, not merely non-sexual dress.

Why do you think spirits in the Bible have exclusively masculine pronouns?

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I don't understand how your question (ending with a period) relates to the conversation.
I didn't say nurture and comfort are exclusively feminine traits.
God tells fathers to bring up their children in the nurture and admonition of the Lord.
And the Holy Ghost is God, yet is the Comforter.

As to nudity versus immodesty... Partial nudity, especially of certain areas, is immodesty.

Would you say clothing being feminine and masculine is just cultural? The traditional clothing in Japan and India I guess some feminine traits by American standards of clothing.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,450,961.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Would you say clothing being feminine and masculine is just cultural? The traditional clothing in Japan and India I guess some feminine traits by American standards of clothing.

There is a gender difference in the clothing of every culture, but the specific differences aren't the same from culture to culture.

Back in 1st century Rome, nobody wore trousers. Everyone wore essentially the same kind of tunic undergarment, and there was very little difference in the tunics and cover-garments worn by poor men and poor women.

But where they had enough money for choices, men wore togas and women wore stolas. The casual modern eye might see no difference between a toga and a stola, but the ancient Romans certainly saw a difference.

And most people in the West can tell the difference between a man's suit and a woman's pants suit. If I saw a man in a woman's pants suit, I'd certainly raise my eyebrow.

In some cases, there are more differences than clothing. In Japan, for instance, there is even a difference in language: There is "male" Japanese and there is "female" Japanese, which they can immediately discern. I have an American friend who learned Japanese from his Japanese wife. When he tried it out on a Japanese man, the man raised his eyebrows and said, "Your Japanese is very good, by why do you speak it like a woman?"

So if a Japanese Christian woman insists on speaking Japanese like a man, is she not in the conflict with the spirit of Paul's injunction as someone would claim for an American woman wearing trousers?

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,450,961.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In what sense? God's word is not to be tampered with-translations that call the devil she seem to be adding to it.

I don't know what you mean. You were talking about pronoun gender.

"Everyone ought to wear sunscreen when he is on the beach."

That is traditional standard English. Traditional standard English defaults to a masculine pronoun when the natural gender of a person is unknown.

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
There is a gender difference in the clothing of every culture, but the specific differences aren't the same from culture to culture.

Back in 1st century Rome, nobody wore trousers. Everyone wore essentially the same kind of tunic undergarment, and there was very little difference in the tunics and cover-garments worn by poor men and poor women.

But where they had enough money for choices, men wore togas and women wore stolas. The casual modern eye might see no difference between a toga and a stola, but the ancient Romans certainly saw a difference.

And most people in the West can tell the difference between a man's suit and a woman's pants suit. If I saw a man in a woman's pants suit, I'd certainly raise my eyebrow.

In some cases, there are more differences than clothing. In Japan, for instance, there is even a difference in language: There is "male" Japanese and there is "female" Japanese, which they can immediately discern. I have an American friend who learned Japanese from his Japanese wife. When he tried it out on a Japanese man, the man raised his eyebrows and said, "Your Japanese is very good, by why do you speak it like a woman?"

So if a Japanese Christian woman insists on speaking Japanese like a man, is she not in the conflict with the spirit of Paul's injunction as someone would claim for an American woman wearing trousers?

The Firebird Costumes

Isn't this more feminine by European standards?

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

That is traditional standard English. Traditional standard English defaults to a masculine pronoun when the natural gender of a person is unknown.

Isn't that due to Adam being created first? Other languages don't use she defacto. Using he defacto is bibical.

Like "let every man examine himself".

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

The Bible is in Hebrew or Greek.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,450,961.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Isn't that due to Adam being created first? Other languages don't use she defacto. Using he defacto is bibical.

Like "let every man examine himself".

Do you think that excludes women? Do women not need to examine themselves?

Let me answer that for you. In the Greek, the word translated to English in that verse is actually anthropos, which is gender neutral. It was an English translator who used the gendered term "man," because that's how English defaults.

• Winner
Reactions: PollyJetix
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,450,961.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
what about the devil being he and not she?

Can you direct me to a specific verse where there is a Greek male-gendered pronoun pointing to diabolos or Satanas? If you know of such a particular instance, let's take a look at it and discuss it.

Reactions: PollyJetix
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,450,961.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0