• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.

Hail Mary: What is it?

Discussion in 'One Bread, One Body - Catholic' started by Hoonbaba, Apr 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hoonbaba

Hoonbaba Catholic Preterist

+54
    Catholic
    Hi everyone,

I'm just curious to know about "Hail Mary": What exactly is it?

There's one protestant sister I know who left the Catholic church because of "Hail Mary". I don't know what she meant by it but she didn't like any of it. In fact she was somewhat traumatized by the church, especially with confession and how many Catholics wouldn't go to Christ, rather they would sound like the priest is the mediator. I guess there was some misconception. And I'm guessing some Catholics could be misinformed. That tends to happen almost all the time with anything.

So anyway, what is "Hail Mary"?

-Jason

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. KC Catholic

KC Catholic Everybody's gone surfin'...Surfin' U.S.A

+76
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    The "Hail Mary" is meditation on the birth, life, death and resurrection of Christ. It is made up several prayers and its designed to focus on the mysteries: joyful, sorrowful and gloryious.

The rosary has been prayed since the thirteenth century. While meditating on the life of Jesus, one recites the prayers that brings one closer to Him and to His Mother, Mary.

Here is a link demonstrating how to pray the Hail Mary.

http://www.ewtn.com/Devotionals/prayers/rosary2.htm

3. jukesk9

jukesk9 Dixie Whistlin' Papist

+82
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Republican
    Also, in a simpler form, the Hail Mary is a request that Mary pray for us:

Hail Mary, full of grace. The Lord is with thee. Blessed art thou amongst women and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death. Amen.

The first three lines are from the Gospel of Luke. It is merely us saluting Mary as the Angel Gabriel did and as Elizabeth did. The last line is our request for her to pray for us.

I'm not sure why this would make a Catholic uncomfortable as one of the basic tenets of our Faith is the Communion of Saints where the faithful on earth, the souls in purgatory and the saints in heaven unite in prayer and pray for us.

4. jukesk9

+82
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Republican
    I don't want to upstage KC but here's another link to the rosary. This site is quite awesome and impressive:

www.theholyrosary.org

5. KC Catholic

KC Catholic Everybody's gone surfin'...Surfin' U.S.A

+76
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    Jukes - its all good!

6. jukesk9

+82
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Republican
    Right on!

7. isshinwhat

isshinwhat Pro Deo et Patria

+605
    Eastern Orthodox
    Amen! It's all from the Scriptures!

Luke 1
    28 And he came to her and said, "Hail, full of grace, the Lord is with you!"

Luke 1
    42 and she exclaimed with a loud cry, "Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb!

1 Corinthians 7:34
    and his interests are divided. And the unmarried woman or virgin is anxious about the affairs of the Lord, how to be holy in body and spirit;

Luke 1
    43 And why is this granted me, that the mother of my Lord should come to me?

1 Timothy 2:1
    First of all, then, I urge that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgivings be made for all men,

2 Timothy 1
    16 May the Lord grant mercy to the household of Onesiph'orus, for he often refreshed me; he was not ashamed of my chains,...18 may the Lord grant him to find mercy from the Lord on that Day...

I had a link with these or similar passages listed, but I lost it. I hope this helps.

Neal

8. Hoonbaba

+54
    Catholic
    Hi Neal,

Thanks for sharing =)

I was already aware of Luke 1:42-43, Luke 1:48, but the other ones are great too!!

By the way, did I mention Eph 3:15 and it's reference to God's family both in heaven and earth?

I forgot too easily =)

God bless!

-Jason

9. isshinwhat

isshinwhat Pro Deo et Patria

+605
    Eastern Orthodox
    Ephesians...Great!!! One more to my list. This stuff really helps me understand who I am. Thanks for the help, Jason.

Neal

10. Hoonbaba

+54
    Catholic
    Whoa....I just re-read all of Ephesians and I came across something fascinating:

Eph 1:15 speaks about the Ephesians loved all the saints and, the same thing appears in Colossians 1:4 and Philemon 1:5.

St. Paul prayed that the Ephesians would have power 'together with all the saints, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ' (Eph 3:18)

But contextually they may be referring to saints who were on earth. I could be wrong =)

-Jason

11. VOW

VOW Moderator

+15
    Catholic
    Married
    To Jason:

"Saints" is pretty encompassing! The non-Catholics who like to argue about 'praying to the dead' often interpret these verses to mean living saints, but when taken all together, it doesn't seem as limiting as what they want to believe.

In Interfaith Discussion, there was a pretty rowdy thread about the Rosary, and someone slapped the Catholics in the face with Jesus's admonition against "vain and repetitious prayer." The point was made that yes, some prayers ARE repetitious, but Jesus didn't single them out!

Repetitious prayer has a very, very useful function. The human brain is a quite unruly organ, and it often rebels against order. You encounter this when you're trying to study for a final, and your brain entertains ideas of movies, friends, ice cream cones, and the beach. It's HARD to ditch that extraneous stuff and force your mind to focus.

If you've ever been in a very dark part of your life, where worry seems to consume you, and horrible thoughts keep intruding (say a very beloved relative is having surgery, and you are waiting outside the operating room for results!), it's almost impossible to keep from climbing the walls. The repetitious prayer of the Rosary is an indescribable comfort. You can keep bringing your mind back from its forays with the next bead. Your mind isn't swamped with worry, instead you are infused with peace.

Peace be with you,
    ~VOW

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.