sparkydave

Jan 16, 2012
Ohio
✟10,139.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Tychon was a special needs cat. I think he truly adopted his human; I was walking by the adoptions at Petsmart, and he reached up toward me with his one front leg. He was all black and had 3 legs, but he was very affectionate and he curled up in my lap when they got him out. Even the lady working there told me he picked his human out. He tugged at my heart strings since he had had a rough life and was going to be a hard adoption. That was 4 years ago.

Over the last year his eyesight deteriorated because of his high blood pressure. My wife and I noticed he seemed to have trouble finding his food dish, and the vet confirmed he was probably blind. Didn't stop him though, he was still very affectionate and he could still find his way around.

Sometime last night we think he must have had a stroke. I thought I heard a noise like one of the cats playing with something loud downstairs. We kept him corralled between some baby gates so he wouldn't wander too far from his litter box. I thought it sounded strange, and I found him sprawled in a strange position. He couldn't stand up, and if he tried he just flopped around helplessly, and was obviously distressed as he had tried to get to his litter box. Rushed him to the emergency clinic, and they confirmed there was something very wrong, and probably he'd had a stroke. I had a bad feeling he wouldn't be going home, and they said he would probably not be able to function normally. So, they let me hold him as he went across the rainbow bridge. At least he had calmed down and was purring while his human was petting him.

It's hard. I have to remind myself I gave him a good home, he had a good life despite his disabilities, and there wasn't much else I could do. I have to keep telling myself it was the right decision, but I feel awful that I had to make the call.

vinsight4u

Contributor
Aug 8, 2003
✟21,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
So sorry about your cat that you loved, and he loved you. Tychon was indeed meant to be yours. You took great care of him. I cry with you over him being gone. You did the right and loving thing for him. Sometimes, we just have to let them go, even though we will greatly miss our pets, because they are like family to us. God trusted you to give him the best in life and you can be happy that you did.

Upvote 0

Shadow

Site Supporter
May 29, 2015
✟94,972.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Very Sorry to hear of your loss sparkydave. On the subject of cats adopting their human, my cat Foss "chose" me by sitting on my sandals and licking my feet when he was still a kitten, so naturally we kept him. Affectionate Cats do leave us with some good memories and can be very loving creatures (if only when its meal time anyway). I hope you pull through and send you a Big Hug. :)

Upvote 0

Dave G.

May 22, 2017
Sandiwich
✟324,579.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Ya they become such members of the family, it's tough when they go. We have had to put down several in the last few years and our big Theo died in our kitchen. We still have one old lady left who was always timid but came into her own after the others died. And when my wife came home with two new brother kittens she took right to them as if to say "oh wow I have babies now". Each has their own personality don't they ? You will have more when you are ready !

Upvote 0

elytron

Oct 5, 2008
California
✟290,567.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
How sad I am sorry for your loss. My sister and I have lost a number of cats over the years. Very painful to see them suffer. One had cancer, one was eaten by dogs, two were ran over, and another to old age. Another one even caught an illness. We only have indoor cats now, and I will forever regret leaving them outside.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

HereIStand

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2006
✟317,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
How sad I am sorry for your loss. My sister and I have lost a number of cats over the years. Very painful to see them suffer. One had cancer, one was eaten by dogs, two were ran over, and another to old age. Another one even caught an illness. We only have indoor cats now, and I will forever regret leaving them outside.
We keep our cat in now also. Ever since we so coyotes about. He does go out on the back porch in a cage with shelves. He misses the outside and cries some, but at least he is safe and not getting into fights.

Upvote 0

GodsGrace101

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2018
Tuscany
✟231,507.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Your post made me sad.
I too have always had cats so I know how it feels.

It was very nice of you to adopt him. You made the last few years of his life pleasant and happy and did the right thing at the end.

God bless you for your kindness.

Upvote 0

Dave G.

May 22, 2017
Sandiwich
✟324,579.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Our cats are indoor cats as well. Years ago we lost one or two to the road, another asleep in tall grass got run over by a lawn mower, one taken by a coyote. So that was it, we have three litter boxes in the house and we keep them clean and that's that, been that way for 20 years now.. Really they're big time spoiled brats LOL !

Upvote 0

rhawk

I'm a CAT-HOLIC, proud cat parent & Catholic.
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2015
Montana
✟420,361.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Sparkydave,
I am so sorry and like so many others here, know your pain all too well. You store really hurt for your and it was awful close to the night before I had to let my cat ^Itchy^ go (who was fighting cancer for 18 months).

On my cats website in his bio I tell of that night:
At 1:30am May 12th, less than 6 hours after we got his impressions he suddenly got a lot worse and lost the use of his back legs. He was trying to stand but would fall over and I was in tears and panicking. I stayed up with Itchy all night, telling him how much I love him and how special he is. When he needed to use the litter box I would pick him up and hold him over the box and he went. When he wanted water I would hold him over the fountain he used and he drank. I was crying my eyes out all night. The fight was ending and you could see the flame was leaving his eyes. It was the worst and hardest night of my life, yet I was praying it would never end since I knew what had to be done in the morning. We took him in his covered bed to the vet's and we spend a while with Itchy crying so hard it hurt. At 9:10am on May 12th, the doctor allowed my dear sweet Itchy to leave. Itchy turned his head towards me and looked right in my eyes and he was gone. (just telling the story has caused me to start crying, as it has been over 6 months) A large piece of my soul was ripped from me that cold and sad morning.
That happened in 2004, and that was the first of 3 losses that month. I dislike having to relive the pain, but each cat loss does. Still, call me stupid, smart, loving or all, but I continue to have cats and continue to suffer upon each loss. The only thing I can say to you, as I know nothing I or anyone can say will ever make you feel better right now: Your pain is a diminutive reverse reflection. You experienced far greater joy and love with and due to Tychon than the sorrow you now feel. Oh the pain feels worse right now perhaps, but it would not exist if there was no feeling of love and it is only a percentage of the love.

You are in my thoughts and prayers and I hope that you know just how special you are for adopting a special needs cat. You gave him a good life.

Sincerely,

David

Upvote 0

rhawk

I'm a CAT-HOLIC, proud cat parent & Catholic.
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2015
Montana
✟420,361.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
We keep our cat in now also. Ever since we so coyotes about. He does go out on the back porch in a cage with shelves. He misses the outside and cries some, but at least he is safe and not getting into fights.
I am glad you keep him where he is safe. I am in an area that is not good to have pets roam in myself. Our neighbor has lost a dog (unknown what happened), 2 cats (one to coyotes and the other is unknown). We know people who lost small dogs and cats to eagles and hawks and some who lost dogs to mountain lion. Our cats are all indoor only, I would not risk them being outside. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
:heart: Oh how precious that you and your wife gave Tychon a loving, warm, welcoming, and safe home. And how precious that He chose YOU. Nearly all of my cats did the same with me. It must be comforting to at least know that precious Tychon is in a GOOD place now, and with his Creator Who created Tychon in the first place, because He loves ALL of His creatures. Prayers and hugs to you and your wife at this most difficult time of loss and grief. (((hug)))

Upvote 0

sparkydave

Jan 16, 2012
Ohio
✟10,139.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Thank you all, I appreciate it. Still getting used to feeding two cats instead of 3, and the other 2 seem to be looking for their brother. I think the vet will miss one of her favorite patients; she was always excited to see the 3 legged cat and all the techs gave him lots of attention. He was probably the most well-behaved cat I ever had to take to the vet; he'd be soaking up all the attention and purring like it's no big deal. Hopefully he's chasing laser pointers again in heaven, he used to love chasing the dot when he could see it. He'd hop along and keep up with his 4 legged siblings chasing it.

Reactions: cutehound
Upvote 0

cutehound

Jun 2, 2018
Manchester
✟8,093.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Sparkydave, I'm so sorry for your loss. Your story made me feel so sad that you have lost your little family member, yet happy that he had such a good and loving home. If only every owner was as good as you! It never stops hurting when they are gone but it gets easier with time. I still miss the pets I grew up with as a little girl and remember them like it was yesterday.

Upvote 0

Blom&Smile

Jul 23, 2018
Los Angeles
✟15,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Tychon was a special needs cat. I think he truly adopted his human; I was walking by the adoptions at Petsmart, and he reached up toward me with his one front leg. He was all black and had 3 legs, but he was very affectionate and he curled up in my lap when they got him out. Even the lady working there told me he picked his human out. He tugged at my heart strings since he had had a rough life and was going to be a hard adoption. That was 4 years ago.

Over the last year his eyesight deteriorated because of his high blood pressure. My wife and I noticed he seemed to have trouble finding his food dish, and the vet confirmed he was probably blind. Didn't stop him though, he was still very affectionate and he could still find his way around.

Sometime last night we think he must have had a stroke. I thought I heard a noise like one of the cats playing with something loud downstairs. We kept him corralled between some baby gates so he wouldn't wander too far from his litter box. I thought it sounded strange, and I found him sprawled in a strange position. He couldn't stand up, and if he tried he just flopped around helplessly, and was obviously distressed as he had tried to get to his litter box. Rushed him to the emergency clinic, and they confirmed there was something very wrong, and probably he'd had a stroke. I had a bad feeling he wouldn't be going home, and they said he would probably not be able to function normally. So, they let me hold him as he went across the rainbow bridge. At least he had calmed down and was purring while his human was petting him.

It's hard. I have to remind myself I gave him a good home, he had a good life despite his disabilities, and there wasn't much else I could do. I have to keep telling myself it was the right decision, but I feel awful that I had to make the call.

I can’t imagine how difficult it was. Sending prayers.

Upvote 0

The Gryphon

Sep 26, 2018
Canyon Country
✟23,870.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I am sorry for your loss!

Being 68, 69 next month, and being an animal lover I have had both dogs and cats. I once had a "Guard Cat" she was truly one of a kind. She adorned me because I was the one that fed her and gave her the majority of the affection growing up. There was a German Shepard two houses down that bit several neighbors and kept trying to bite me. She was about 15 ponds but very muscled and fast. She would not tolerate that dog in our yard. We had many smaller pine trees in our front yard she would use to stalk that German Shepard leap on his back reach up to his neck and rake her claws down his neck then leap up on one of the pines and be gone before the dog new what hit him. He figure out not to come in my yard very quickly or the Ninja cat would get him.

Some of us really get attached to our animals because we form deep emotional bonds with them. I am one of those people and feel the loss of my animal friends deeply because they are friends not just a pet.

Upvote 0