The Pacific Northwest
✟73,203.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I've been on another gun forum for 17 years and the last three years, have been getting more active in shooting pistols and evaluating different types and loads.

I've been using my dad's range out at his house which consists of a 14k sq. ft. shop with a room with a door that opens to the outside. In the room is a target shooting bench and spotting scope. You open the door and 25yds away is an old wood fence. He had targets placed on that. Then he also has target stands at 50yds, 100yds, and 300yds.

I shot in a GSSF match a couple of weeks ago and the 25yd target seemed further away than what I was used to at my dad's range.

Today, I went out to test my latest batch of reloads in my new barrel and decided to get the tape out and measure.

The fence was actually 19yds from the bench! I had been shooting and posting results based on 18' less distance. I was mad and embarrassed.

Here I was thinking I was an amazing shot when my Glock regularly shoots 1.5" - 2.5" at supposedly 25yds. I once got a 1" group and was quick to post about it...

I had to post a retraction and come clean with the truth.

I shot today but I hadn't shot the reload recipes before, so I have no idea how far off I am now and have no benchmark for expected accuracy of subsequent recipes and firearms.

Best group today was 2 3/8". I have a match next Saturday so I have to go back out next week and shoot a bunch of recipes to see how good they actually are. I have a general idea of which ones are more accurate, but my goal for a match round is 2" or better with mild recoil and cast bullets in the KKM barrel and the same with jacketed bullets in the stock barrel.

Solomons Porch

Solomon's Porch
Jan 8, 2017
East
✟206,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You are forgiven :cool:
:eyes::gun:

65a2ec991b16349e3e190f288b661ec4.jpg

Reactions: Servant68
Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
The difference in accuracy and performance between 16 and 25 yards is insignificant. If your bullets and/or handloads produce tight groups at the closer distance they will produce almost exactly the same groups at the farther distance. Shooting is shooting my friend. If you're a good shot then distance doesn't matter.

• Agree
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0