Habbukuk - what is your understanding of how the justified (by faith) shall live?

Michael Scaman

Apr 16, 2016
Goshen, NY USA
✟12,404.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Habakkuk is quoted several times in Romans and Galations - the righteous shall live by faith. What does it mean?

I see the statement set in the midst of verses against the proud (who believe in themselves) and also I see the summary statement in 2:13,14 where the nations wear themselves out for nothing (so much work ultimately doesn't help in some sense) God purpose shall stand and the earth will be filled with the knowledge of God as the waters (completely) cover the sea.

Habakkuk: The justified (by faith) shall live

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Jesus did the will of God who sent him (John 6:38). While you may find useful things in the Law and the Prophets, God is greater than these. Finding faith in God is more important than memorizing the Torah and Tanakh.

During the late Roman empire, Christianity was not legal. Christians became known for their works helping the sick, poor and imprisoned. Because of the faithfulness of Christians, Christianity became legalized as described by the historian Eusebius of Caesarea in his early 4th century book, "Ecclesiastical History."

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Habakkuk is quoted several times in Romans and Galations - the righteous shall live by faith. What does it mean?

I see the statement set in the midst of verses against the proud (who believe in themselves) and also I see the summary statement in 2:13,14 where the nations wear themselves out for nothing (so much work ultimately doesn't help in some sense) God purpose shall stand and the earth will be filled with the knowledge of God as the waters (completely) cover the sea.

I think we have to have good definitions. First faith.

Faith comes by HEARING the Word of God and faith without works is dead. To abridge that, we have to hear God and do what He says.

Righteousness is a word that when defined, is eye opening. For example, when we first began to use that word in our translations, it meant "Just; accordant to the divine law." (Webster's 1828) Even the modern online Webster's defines the word as "acting in accord with divine or moral law." OK, they got more liberal since the 1800's but it still carries the same meaning, to walk according to God's laws. Of course, I am not talking about going and making sacrifices, I am talking about not killing, not stealing, not serving other gods or laying with a member of the same sex, etc. A righteous person follows God's commandments.

So, if the righteous live by faith... we know the righteous are those who hear (and read) God and do what He says. God says don't do ____ so we don't... we heard, we did, and thus are conforming to divine law.

Upvote 0

corinth77777

learner
Nov 15, 2013
✟99,135.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Like everything needs the Sun to live or stay alive in their moments of existing on earth.
So we who are in the light [Christ] the resurrected also must walk in the light of life to live ...[to have vibrant, zoe type exestence on earth. Therefore if we set our minds on the things of the spirit we shall live, but the carnal mind is death[seperation]. Another words faith is walking [living, abiding] In the resurrected life of Christ. Jesus was raised for our Justification.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bcbsr

Mar 17, 2003
Visit site
✟201,456.00
Faith
Christian
That verse is mentioned 3 times in the New Testament. Golden opportunity to interpret an Old Testament verse light of its usage in the New Testament

Ro 1:17 For in it the righteousness of God is revealed from faith to faith; as it is written, "The just shall live by faith."

Ga 3:11 But that no one is justified by the law in the sight of God is evident, for "the just shall live by faith."

Heb 10:38 Now the just shall live by faith; But if anyone draws back, My soul has no pleasure in him."

To me the meaning of the verse is clear:

The just shall have eternal life by faith apart from works.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
QUOTE="Michael Scaman, post: 72633672, member: 386403"]I see the statement set in the midst of verses against the proud (who believe in themselves) and also I see the summary statement in 2:13,14 where the nations wear themselves out for nothing (so much work ultimately doesn't help in some sense) God purpose shall stand and the earth will be filled with the knowledge of God as the waters (completely) cover the sea.[/QUOTE
----------------------------------------------------------
Right now, and for the last 20 centuries or so, the earth has been filled with rebellion, wickedness, evil, sin, opposed to God....

When do you think it will be filled with the knowledge of God ?

Upvote 0