Guys and Girls I don't know where to start on here!

OpenBibleVerse

Christian
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
✟15,123.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi guys/girls,
I was just browsing the community and there seems to be so many sections/categories and I don't know where to start.. Everything seems so cluttered but can someone let me know what I should do, I'm new. Also, I'm Christian but it seems like there are many types of Christians.. How do I figure out what am I?

GrayAngel

Sep 11, 2006
USA
✟21,292.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
This subforum is actually meant for non-Christians who want to learn more ("Explore") about Christianity. We have "Christian Advice" for Christians seeking advice from other Christians. We have "Philosophy" for free talk discussion between Christians and non-Christians (here, we're only supposed to respond to the OP).

As for what you are concerning denomination, I can't tell you. Do you go to church? If so, what is your church's denomination? This is a pretty good sign for what you believe yourself.

Upvote 0

elman

elman
Dec 19, 2003
Texas
✟39,197.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Hi guys/girls,
I was just browsing the community and there seems to be so many sections/categories and I don't know where to start.. Everything seems so cluttered but can someone let me know what I should do, I'm new. Also, I'm Christian but it seems like there are many types of Christians.. How do I figure out what am I?
Keep asking questions and never accept what someone else tells you is truth simply because they are a preacher or have some authority in a church even if they seem to be able to quote scripture to prove what they say. If you ever figure our what you are, you are not through. Keep maturing in Christ because until you die, you should continue to change for the better. The most important Christian one can be is a compassionate caring person.

Upvote 0

GrayAngel

Sep 11, 2006
USA
✟21,292.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I haven't gone to Church in a bit but I do believe in God and still pray. Do I have to go to Church to be a Christian?

God is our father and the church is our mother. It is highly recommended that Christians have fellowship together, serve together, and grow together.

Some church organizations are better than others, but none of them are perfect. I recommend finding one that teaches good accurate doctrine, not just what sounds good or feels right to you. Compare their teachings to scripture and keep an open mind with a healthy dose of skepticism. It's also important that they serve in their community and abroad. Teaching without action is useless. And lastly, make sure their church promotes spiritual growth, not just with their words but with how they treat one another.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,308.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
For someone who is starting, it doesn't usually make sense to try and figure out all the different Christians group. Most people choose a church that's near them, because their friends go there, or because they have good programs for their kids, or because the pastor's sermons seem helpful.

The main differences that matter a lot are the three major groups:
* Catholics
* Liberal Protestants
* Conservative Protestants
I'm guessing you're not Catholic, so the questions whether you want a church that accepts evolution, and maybe considers that parts of the Bible (mostly the Old Testament) don't reflect God perfectly. If so, you should find a liberal church. Otherwise a conservative one. Churches aren't labelled that way, so you'll probably need to get a sense of it from what they say.

You don't need to participate in the denominational sections of this site. There are plenty of generic Christian sections.

Upvote 0