Gunman Aboard a Tram Kills at Least 3 in Utrecht, the Netherlands

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Gunman Aboard a Tram Kills at Least 3 in Utrecht, the Netherlands
Three people died and five were injured on Monday in a shooting on a tram in the Dutch city of Utrecht, which the authorities called a possible terrorist attack, and a manhunt was underway for a gunman who escaped the scene.

The Netherlands' main counterterrorism agency raised its assessment of the threat in Utrecht province, just southeast of Amsterdam, to the highest level, and said it had activated a crisis team. The Dutch paramilitary police increased security at airports and other vital infrastructure points.

anna ~ grace

Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am hoping this is not a tit-for-tat war of extremist elements. We need to confront these extremists and eliminate them.
I get the strong feeling that there will be a *lot* of reprisal killings in response to the Christchurch New Zealand massacre. A lot. This is very sad. No one wins.

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟426,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
And so it continues...

Lord have mercy! Let's pray for the victims, the shooter, the authorities trying to figure this out, and all the people who will be gripped in fear by what surely will not be the last cowardly terrorist act of its kind (though it should be; what has already happened is already way too much).

Again, Lord have mercy.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,249,090.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
I get the strong feeling that there will be a *lot* of reprisal killings in response to the Christchurch New Zealand massacre. A lot. This is very sad. No one wins.

The Dutch are another people that I wonder "Why?" Very peaceful people in my experience, tolerant... what exactly is there to hate? The only thing I can think of is that it's truely something demonic, because it would taken the demonic to hate things like tolerance and peace.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The only thing I can think of is that it's truely something demonic, because it would taken the demonic to hate things like tolerance and peace.
And if it is demonic (which I also think it is) there is little anyone in secular society will be able to do to stop it.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,249,090.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
And if it is demonic (which I also think it is) there is little anyone in secular society will be able to do to stop it.

I do believe God uses government to restrain evil, even if something is demonic that doesn't mean government can do nothing about it.

• Useful
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,249,090.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
From what I have heard, the far right is growing in the Netherlands and terrorist attacks could put pressure on the public and government.

Pastor preached a good sermon on fear yesterday that was very timely, and well done. It wasn't overtly political but it did note the fear that these attacks are trying to incite, and the responses such as anger and hate that are engendered by fear (he actually made a Star Wars reference, which is ool in my book. He actually managed to redeem The Phantom Menace, which is something that I think is miraculous in itself).

Upvote 0

JosephZ

Mar 25, 2017
Davao City
Visit site
✟226,465.00
Country
Philippines
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I am hoping this is not a tit-for-tat war of extremist elements. We need to confront these extremists and eliminate them.
This may turn out to be related to a domestic dispute rather than an act of terrorism.

A suspected shooter in the Netherlands fired upon a relative in a tram due to a family dispute, as well as others trying to intercede to defuse the situation, relatives of the shooter said Monday.

Police told local media they were focusing on non-terror motives and that the attack may have happened due to a family dispute.
Netherlands: Shooter fires on relative, bystanders

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
This may turn out to be related to a domestic dispute rather than an act of terrorism.

A suspected shooter in the Netherlands fired upon a relative in a tram due to a family dispute, as well as others trying to intercede to defuse the situation, relatives of the shooter said Monday.

Police told local media they were focusing on non-terror motives and that the attack may have happened due to a family dispute.
Netherlands: Shooter fires on relative, bystanders
Thanks for the extra info, we'll see how this story develops.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Silverback

Feb 13, 2019
South East
✟66,756.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
The Dutch are another people that I wonder "Why?" Very peaceful people in my experience, tolerant... what exactly is there to hate? The only thing I can think of is that it's truely something demonic, because it would taken the demonic to hate things like tolerance and peace.

May not be terrorism

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JosephZ

Mar 25, 2017
Davao City
Visit site
✟226,465.00
Country
Philippines
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I was able to find this local article that goes a little more into the shooter's background.

Gezochte Gökmen Tanis stond eerder terecht voor schieten in Kanaleneiland en verkrachting | RTV Utrecht

This guy sounds like a typical violent criminal to me. He apparently has a long criminal background which includes attempted manslaughter, possible rape, insulting a woman, insulting and threatening a cop, driving under the influence, bicycle theft, burglary and peeing in a police cell.

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Aug 27, 2014
✟426,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Thank you for the new information, JosephZ. I'm sorry to everyone that I jumped to the accusation of terrorism when there may be more local/familial factors at play. That doesn't make it any 'better', of course (there are no 'terrorist' vs. 'non-terrorist' bullets,; they all kill and destroy equally), but it does show that people (including me) are primed to consider terrorism first, which is a sign of the kind of world we live in now. I'm saddened and ashamed, to be frank about it.

Anyway, still we should offer prayers to the victims, the shooter, and everyone. Lord have mercy.

Upvote 0

JosephZ

Mar 25, 2017
Davao City
Visit site
✟226,465.00
Country
Philippines
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Thank you for the new information, JosephZ. I'm sorry to everyone that I jumped to the accusation of terrorism when there may be more local/familial factors at play. That doesn't make it any 'better', of course (there are no 'terrorist' vs. 'non-terrorist' bullets,; they all kill and destroy equally), but it does show that people (including me) are primed to consider terrorism first, which is a sign of the kind of world we live in now. I'm saddened and ashamed, to be frank about it.

Anyway, still we should offer prayers to the victims, the shooter, and everyone. Lord have mercy.
The investigation is still ongoing so it could still turn out to be an act of terrorism, but since the shooter has a history of violence and the initial shooting victim is a relative with most of the other victims appearing to have been people coming to the aid of the relative, a domestic dispute that escalated into a mass shooting looks to be the most likely scenario at this point.

• Agree
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic

I only tagged this story as terrorism because the authorities were treating it that way at the outset, which is understandable considering the attack last week. As with any story, more investigation is always needed.

Upvote 0

Lost4words

Jesus I Trust In You
Supporter
May 19, 2018
Neath
✟1,002,191.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
There are a lot more terror attacks by so called "Muslims" than any other religion. Look at where Christians are being persecuted in Egypt and other strongly muslim countries!

The world has gone mad. Its sickening....

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Aug 27, 2014
✟426,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I know you mean well, but can I ask as a member of the Egyptian Church that other Christians please stop using the example of the Copts to talk about terrorist events in anything less than an absolutely condemnatory way? We don't want to see this stuff happen to people. When you know the sharp end of terrorism, as the Copts in Egypt, Libya, and Sudan (and elsewhere) definitely do, you don't want to see it happen to others! Our Lord tells us to not repay evil with evil, but overcome evil with good.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟827,033.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Being a passionate tram enthusiast having some great adventures riding on Wellington NZ trams when I was young on holiday, I think it is the greatest insult doing that sort of violence on a tram!

Upvote 0