Gun-toting jerks squatting on land that doesn't belong to them (ETA: will speak at GOP convention)

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟827,725.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
August update: LINK

Patricia and Mark McCloskey, the St. Louis homeowners who pointed guns at protestersearlier this summer, are scheduled to speak at the Republican National Convention next week, an aide familiar told CNN on Monday.

A spokesman for Trump Victory and a Republican official confirmed to CNN later Monday that former Covington Catholic student Nick Sandmann, Andrew Pollack, the father of Parkland shooting victim Meadow Pollack, anti-abortion activist Abby Johnson, South Dakota Gov. Kristi Noem and Pennsylvania congressional candidate Sean Parnell will also be among the speakers at the Republican convention. The lineup, which is still being formed, was first reported by Breitbart News.

-----
July story:

The St. Louis couple who made the news for waving their guns around are also involved in a lawsuit against the private neighborhood in which they live.

The Portland Place couple, now known for pulling out a pistol and rifle and pointing them at protesters who walked by their mansion on the way to Mayor Lyda Krewson’s house in the Central West End, said they were scared. They said they were defending their property.

That’s what the two attorneys have been doing in St. Louis Circuit Court since 2017, defending a sliver of property in what they call the “private place” of the toney neighborhood where they live. The defendants in the case are the trustees of Portland Place, who say a triangle of land that the McCloskeys claim as their own actually belongs to the neighborhood.

It’s a battle that is personal to the McCloskeys. So much so that this isn’t the first time one of them has pulled a gun on someone. In fact, the McCloskeys offer that action as evidence that they have owned the section of land near the pedestrian gate on Kingshighway that borders their property.

“Between the time of acquisition of One Portland Place and the construction of the above-referenced ten foot wall, the McCloskeys regularly prohibited all persons, including Portland Place residents, from crossing the Parcel including at least at one point, challenging a resident at gun point who refused to heed the McCloskeys’ warnings to stay off such property,” states an affidavit in the lawsuit.

Such it is in Private St. Louis, where the trustees of Portland Place say the sliver of land belongs to them, as it was described in assessor’s documents more than 116 years ago, and the McCloskeys say the legal concept of “adverse possession” means they own it.

Per Wikipedia: "Adverse possession, sometimes colloquially described as "squatter's rights", is a legal principle under which a person who does not have legal title to a piece of property — usually land — acquires legal ownership based on continuous possession or occupation of the property without the permission of its legal owner."

Last edited:

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟650,580.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I thought this was about the CHOP site based on the title.....my mistake......

Nah! The people there actually had people die while doing what they did. But a couple who were "waving guns around" and simply trying to defend their home when the mob came calling--well, that's supposed to be worse.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,655,781.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Wrong inaccurate title. Nowhere does the SLPD refer to them as “gun toting jerks” and squatting... lol! Where is the wailing and gnashing of teeth??

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,106,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The St. Louis couple who made the news for waving their guns around are also involved in a lawsuit against the private neighborhood in which they live.

The Portland Place couple, now known for pulling out a pistol and rifle and pointing them at protesters who walked by their mansion on the way to Mayor Lyda Krewson’s house in the Central West End, said they were scared. They said they were defending their property.

That’s what the two attorneys have been doing in St. Louis Circuit Court since 2017, defending a sliver of property in what they call the “private place” of the toney neighborhood where they live. The defendants in the case are the trustees of Portland Place, who say a triangle of land that the McCloskeys claim as their own actually belongs to the neighborhood.

It’s a battle that is personal to the McCloskeys. So much so that this isn’t the first time one of them has pulled a gun on someone. In fact, the McCloskeys offer that action as evidence that they have owned the section of land near the pedestrian gate on Kingshighway that borders their property.

“Between the time of acquisition of One Portland Place and the construction of the above-referenced ten foot wall, the McCloskeys regularly prohibited all persons, including Portland Place residents, from crossing the Parcel including at least at one point, challenging a resident at gun point who refused to heed the McCloskeys’ warnings to stay off such property,” states an affidavit in the lawsuit.

Such it is in Private St. Louis, where the trustees of Portland Place say the sliver of land belongs to them, as it was described in assessor’s documents more than 116 years ago, and the McCloskeys say the legal concept of “adverse possession” means they own it.

Per Wikipedia: "Adverse possession, sometimes colloquially described as "squatter's rights", is a legal principle under which a person who does not have legal title to a piece of property — usually land — acquires legal ownership based on continuous possession or occupation of the property without the permission of its legal owner."
I think squatter's rights would depend on how long the first owner had control of the land and if it wasn't long enough to have squatter's rights then that time period would start over with each consecutive owner. ?

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟431,984.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I thought this was about the CHOP site based on the title.....my mistake......
I almost feel sorry for online people that the CHOP is going away. People Looove them some CHOP to get get indignant about, derail to, etc. Condolences.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,655,781.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I dunno, 'gun toting jerks' 'squatting on land'.....I mean there seems to be a connection there, right?
But that’s not what the real title said. Nor was it mentioned in the article. Therefore must be untrue and irresponsible. ;) *joking* Just jumping on the finger wagging bandwagon. I catch it all the time and I don’t even make up titles. Just wondered what it felt like, now I know. ;) Everyone keep us the good work. Just poking fun.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟865,782.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
So they were involved in a lawsuit. Right now I'm using the world's most powerful electron microscope, and I still can't see the relevance of that to anything.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,655,781.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So they were involved in a lawsuit. Right now I'm using the world's most powerful electron microscope, and I still can't see the relevance of that to anything.
Just the usual neighborhood fussing and fighting that is so common everywhere.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟827,725.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)

#1 It is not the first time they have used guns to intimidate people
#2 They have an expansive view of what 'their property' is

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟865,782.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
#1 It is not the first time they have used guns to intimidate people
Intimidation is the whole point of self-defense, and not against "protesters who walked by their mansion", as your lying article put it, but against a mob seeking to do you violence.
#2 They have an expansive view of what 'their property' is
Which probably describes every plaintiff and every defendant in every property suit since the beginning of time.

Upvote 0

civilwarbuff

Site Supporter
May 28, 2015
✟611,873.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Intimidation is the whole point of self-defense, and not against "protesters who walked by their mansion", as your lying article put it, but against a mob seeking to do you violence.

Which probably describes every plaintiff and every defendant in every property suit since the beginning of time.
Hammer meet the Nail Head........

• Agree
Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟650,580.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
  • Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟875,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,204,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Just so I understand the intent of the thread (and know which points I need to provide a rebuttal for)...is the intent of the thread to:

A) Make a statement about gun ownership?
B) Claim that they were racists who just pointed a gun at innocent people who were peacefully protesting?
or
C) The finer points of the binding contracts and property laws regarding HOA agreements?

• Winner
Reactions: HannahT
Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,204,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Fun fact, you can't access the Mayor's home cutting through that particular gated community.
(that was covered in a CNN interview McCloskey did with Chris Cuomo)

2:47 mark of this video...straight from the CNN youtube page.

Local news outlets confirmed that as well.
What was the protest about?

The roughly 300 protesters were marching down Portland Place to Mayor Lyda Krewson’s house and calling for her resignation. Although Krewson does not live on Portland Place but a few blocks away.

Did they not know that? Or were the following the march organizer's message of "you have to break laws and make people feel uncomfortable"?

I'd have to assume that at least one person in the group of 300 had a phone with a GPS app, right?

I'm leaning toward the theory that hitting up a gated community of "rich people...to make them uncomfortable" was likely a pitstop/detour on their way to the mayor's, separate, development (a half mile away) in order to make some sort of statement.

upload_2020-7-6_20-41-1.png

upload_2020-7-6_20-41-45.png

If the mayor lived in the same gated community as them, I'd be willing to entertain the idea that "they were just passing those homes on the way to the mayors house"...but that's not what happened...unless their plan was to climb this brick wall in someone's back yard in order to get out of that neighborhood and continue on to the mayor's house?

upload_2020-7-6_20-46-12.png

(Google maps in the information age is a wonderful thing)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,153.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Just so I understand the intent of the thread (and know which points I need to provide a rebuttal for)...is the intent of the thread to:

A) Make a statement about gun ownership?
B) Claim that they were racists who just pointed a gun at innocent people who were peacefully protesting?
or
C) The finer points of the binding contracts and property laws regarding HOA agreements?
Perhaps, and this is just off the top of my head after reading the OP, that it's an attempt to portray them as general contrarians based on all three of your points.

Upvote 0