Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So, give me some numbers. How many people last year 2016 thwarted a murderer because they owned a firearm?
It's hard to get accurate figures for anything as new as 2016 but here is one study that may give you higher numbers than you think and from an anti-gun group.

A new paper from the Violence Policy Center states that “for the five-year period 2007 through 2011, the total number of self-protective behaviors involving a firearm by victims of attempted or completed violent crimes or property crimes totaled only 338,700.” That comes to an annual average of 67,740....

The V.P.C. also found that in 2010 “there were only 230 justifiable homicides involving a private citizen using a firearm” reported to the F.B.I.’s Uniform Crime Reporting Program. Compare that with the number of criminal gun homicides in the same year: 8,275.

As the V.P.C. paper states, “guns are rarely used to kill criminals or stop crimes.”

Well, I don't consider 67,740 annually is a nothingberger or a 'rarely' as they say.
And that is only the ones that were reported to the FBI. As the report points out not all law enforcement reports to the FBI, [especially if there was no death or a criminal arrested.]
We don't know how many actual lives were saved or protected from injury by each of those one incidences. Just one rapist stopped, just one criminal with a gun, a knife, a ligature,... stopped....how many lives?

• Agree
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

sdmsanjose

Jun 19, 2006
Arizona
✟23,684.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In 2012 Assault, Texas Gunman Broke Skull of Infant Stepson

Law enforcement at the First Baptist Church in Sutherland Springs, Tex., on Monday. Credit Todd Heisler/The New York Times

NEW BRAUNFELS, Tex. — He beat his wife, cracked his toddler stepson’s skull and was kicked out of the military. He drove away friends, drew attention from the police and abused his dog. Before Devin P. Kelley entered a rural Texas church with a military-style rifle, killing at least 26 people on Sunday, he led a deeply troubled life in which few in his path escaped unscathed.

In 2012, while stationed at Holloman Air Force Base in New Mexico, Mr. Kelley was charged with assault, according to Air Force records, which said he had repeatedly struck, kicked and choked his first wife beginning just months into their marriage, and hit his stepson’s head with what the Air Force described as “a force likely to produce death or grievous bodily harm.”

“He assaulted his stepson severely enough that he fractured his skull,” said Don Christensen, a retired colonel who was the chief prosecutor for the Air Force, adding, “He pled to intentionally doing it.”

Prosecutors withdrew several other charges as part of their plea agreement with Mr. Kelley, including allegations that he repeatedly pointed a loaded gun at his wife.

The authorities in Comal County, which includes Mr. Kelley’s hometown New Braunfels, released records on Monday that showed he had been the subject of an investigation for sexual assault and rape in 2013.

On Monday, the Air Force admitted that it had failed to enter information from Mr. Kelley’s domestic violence court-martial into a federal database that could have blocked him from buying the weapon used in the church attack.

The lawmakers can make laws that put severe penalties on ALL agencies, like the Air Force, that fail to report serious crimes to the proper authorities.

• Agree
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

Zatek

Mar 5, 2015
✟26,958.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
You can pretty much guarantee that sites like this are lying about statistics when they don't cite their sources. For example, it is common for gun control activists to group gun suicides in with gun homicides as if depressed and suicidal people are going to magically give up on killing themselves if they can't get a gun.

You can tell for a fact this is what they are doing to lie about the statistics because you can look at the 2016 FBI statistics and the total murder rate (which is ALL murder, not just gun murder, and also non negligent manslaughter). One state is 11.5, Five states are 8.0-8.8, and all the rest are below 8. How can 40 states have a gun murder rate higher than the rate of 10 per 100k, like they claim, when only one state has a total murder rate over 10 per 100k? Of course that isn't possible, it's because they are liars who have no intellectual honesty and so they include suicides and call it "gun deaths" instead of gun homicides.

2016 FBI Violent Crime Statistics by State: Table 3

California gets an 'A' but has a violent crime rate per 100k of 445, but Texas gets an 'F' and has a rate of 434 per 100k. The worst, by a HUGE margin, is the District of Columbia with 1,206 violent crimes per 100k people. The lowestest was Maine with 124 per 100k, but it gets an 'F' somehow? Vermont, also very low, 158 per 100k, also gets an 'F'?

The only thing that website proves is that gun control helps prevent suicide by gun, which is virtually worthless because there's any number of ways someone can easily kill themselves if they want to. Gun control does not correlate at all with decreasing violent crime or gun HOMICIDES. There are numerous states on that list with high homicide rates but got an A or B, California (4.9), Maryland (8.0), Delaware (5.9), and even more on the list with low homicide rates but get an F, Idaho (2.9), Vermont (2.2), Wyoming (3.4), Montana (3.5), Maine (1.5), Utah (2.4).

You can come up with all the theories about gun control you want, but if you're giving the states with the lowest murder and crime rates lectures about how they're doing it wrong, then you just look like an idiot. You're like the fat guy at the gym who goes around criticizing the professional lifters with 6-pac abs telling them they're doing it wrong because he read some article online.

Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,686.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Guns.... the big equalizer... well, not so much. It takes extreme measures to kill another person. Accidents are the bigger issue. Or, if you run up against someone who is devoid of conscience.

In Canada, they had us all register our guns.... problem..... criminals don't do this.

So, you knew where all the guns were that were safe and locked up by law abiding people... but still had no idea who else had them..... and would use them.

Finally, they got rid of the registry... it was a huge waste of money.

You will never get rid of guns, from outlaws. Unless you go house to house car by car person by person... and still... that won't happen.

In the end... people kill people. Not guns, not knives, not baseball bats, not broken beer bottles.....

Who writes the letter... the person... or the pencil.

Some even believe that these latest mass killings are staged in order to invoke people to want gun control.

From what I hear... gun sales are way up.....

The problem always boils down to greed, money, poverty and the separation between those that have and those that have not. Throw in the fact that there is so much corruption and so little justice and add a few people with anger management problems, mental illnesses and narcissism.

The world is a broken place. There will always be violence.

I am not totally convinced but country wide right to carry may not be all that bad.

Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It's hard to get accurate figures for anything as new as 2016 but here is one study that may give you higher numbers than you think and from an anti-gun group.

A new paper from the Violence Policy Center states that “for the five-year period 2007 through 2011, the total number of self-protective behaviors involving a firearm by victims of attempted or completed violent crimes or property crimes totaled only 338,700.” That comes to an annual average of 67,740....

The V.P.C. also found that in 2010 “there were only 230 justifiable homicides involving a private citizen using a firearm” reported to the F.B.I.’s Uniform Crime Reporting Program. Compare that with the number of criminal gun homicides in the same year: 8,275.

As the V.P.C. paper states, “guns are rarely used to kill criminals or stop crimes.”

Well, I don't consider 67,740 annually is a nothingberger or a 'rarely' as they say.
And that is only the ones that were reported to the FBI. As the report points out not all law enforcement reports to the FBI, [especially if there was no death or a criminal arrested.]
We don't know how many actual lives were saved or protected from injury by each of those one incidences. Just one rapist stopped, just one criminal with a gun, a knife, a ligature,... stopped....how many lives?

Hi hank,

Thanks for the info. I agree that it's tough to find reliable statistics that make the point. However, even if we allow the numbers to stand as they do, we're looking at 67,000+ against a total number of violent crimes of over 29 million. The statistics are obviously problematic. Many of these 'self-protective' acts could well be a spouse shooting another spouse even when the attacking spouse doesn't have a firearm. Not to say that it's a bad thing to shoot an attacking spouse, but just that it doesn't address the issue of someone owning a firearm stopping someone who does.

Some statistics that I think we can trust are according to this site: https://everytownresearch.org/gun-violence-by-the-numbers/

The U.S. has a 25% higher rate of gun homicides than the average of all such gun deaths of other developed countries. It would seem, based on this statistic, that others carrying firearms to prevent gun deaths doesn't seem to be working very well, although it is readily admitted that it may save a few lives. When I read such a statistic, and there are dozens of studies that confirm similar numbers, I have to ask, 'Why?' Are we just angrier people than the rest of the world? If people in Great Britain were as angry as we are, would they have similar gun death rates?

On average, there are more than 12,000 gun homicides in the U.S. every year. Erin Grinshteyn, an assistant professor at the School of Community Health Science at the University of Nevada-Reno, writes, "These results are consistent with the hypothesis that our firearms are killing us rather than protecting us," in a journal news release. That's pretty much how I feel about the issue.

We can decry that our right to own a firearm is a protected constitutional right and I would not deny that. But, the question, as I see it, is whether we should be satisfied that the protection of such right is going to mean that a lot of people die? While surely some gun deaths are within criminal enterprises where a bad guy kills another bad guy is likely pretty acceptable by many of us, what about those who are innocent. Children out playing in their yards who are caught in some criminal crossfire. People just enjoying a movie. People just sitting in their places of worship wanting nothing more than to worship God. A crowd of people gathered to enjoy an evening concert. A couple out for the evening who have the misfortune of meeting some thief with a gun who decides to shoot.

Why is it that we're ok with all this unnecessary death and violence just to be able to crow about our right to bear arms?

Obviously, you and I have a different take on the goodness or our individual right to bear arms. That's ok and I'm often in discussion with such folks. As I said before, I'm often in the minority on this subject. However, I just can't help looking at nations that have much stricter gun laws than we do enjoying much more secure lives as regards being killed for just being out and about. For me, and yes, I've heard the argument that it's just a cultural thing, I can't help looking at the nation of Japan. They enjoy a fairly free life under their government. The Japanese government for many, many years has never been charged with abuse of their citizens because their citizens don't have firearms. Their citizens get to work at jobs and many of them make decent incomes and there is an organized criminal element within the nation of Japan. Yet, here's a nation with 1/3 the number of people that we have, living in a land mass that is much, much, much smaller than ours and so one would have to think that they can get pretty [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse]ed at one another from time to time, but their death count by guns is generally less than 50 people a year. For many, many, many years their gun death total could be counted on one's fingers. Yes, they have suicides and yes they have homicides, but it's really kind of hard to kill 20 or 30 people waving a sword.

But even if we allow for all forms of killing someone, in 2014 Japan reported 395 violent deaths vs. the U.S., in the same year, over 15,000. Some 12,000 of those U.S. deaths were by guns.

Here's another site that, I believe, is worth a look: America’s unique gun violence problem, explained in 17 maps and charts

I'm sure that you and I will not likely come to agreement on how best to resolve this issue. Heck, you may not even feel that it needs to be resolved. Perhaps you're ok, in order to preserve your right to own a gun, that 12,000 people die every year. I'm not. In 20 years we can revisit the issue.

God bless you,
In Christ, ted

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟820,148.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
If you're going to claim "gun laws save lives," you should compare gun laws against total homicide rates.
Did you check the site? You can find the gun law rating and the gun death rate per 100,000 people.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Did you check the site? You can find the gun law rating and the gun death rate per 100,000 people.

And I'm saying that its not gun killings that are important, but total killings.

A life is saved if someone does not get killed. A life is not saved if somebody gets killed by a knife instead.

Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟820,148.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
And I'm saying that its not gun killings that are important, but total killings.

A life is saved if someone does not get killed. A life is not saved if somebody gets killed by a knife instead.
The thread is about gun laws and their effect on gun deaths. The site provided showed a direct correlation. If you can find some stats for total murders in those States then provide them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RadiantGrace

Jul 18, 2017
Russian Federal Subject of America
✟23,705.00
Country
Russian Federation
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Gun control laws are pointless without gun registration. You can have all kinds of laws to prevent certain people from getting arms, but when people are able to sell them to whomever they wish without documentation, the effort is pointless.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The thread is about gun laws and their effect on gun deaths. The site provided showed a direct correlation. If you can find some stats for total murders in those States then provide them.

And I'm saying that laws have to reduce the total number of deaths to be at all useful.

Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And I'm saying that laws have to reduce the total number of deaths to be at all useful.

Hi radagast,

And according to this site: List of countries by intentional homicide rate - Wikipedia

We don't see knives and machetes and sticks and stones taking the place of guns. Psychologists will tell you that there's a certain 'distancing' with firearm murder that, for most people who commit murder, gives them greater courage to commit such a crime. It's a bit different when you can stand 10 feet away or more and just start pulling a little sliver of metal to kill someone than when you have to stand next to them to stab or slash or beat them.

Further, you want to see that a law does reduce death? Consider that it would have been impossible for the Las Vegas shooter to have killed over 50 people from the upstairs floors of a hotel with a set of steak knives. That church shooter might have gotten to slash out a couple of people before being overpowered if he were holding a machete. Anyone could have just taken off their jacket to try and wrap around the weapon to stop him and a lot of folks could have called 911 before he stabbed 26 people. He couldn't have just stood in one place while he picked off his victims and many more of them could have fled, thereby saving their lives, as he took the time to stab one after the other.

I don't think you'd find many people who are upset with some driver that cut them off, jumping out of their car with a butcher knife. Children playing wouldn't be in much danger of wildly thrown knives killing them as they play. Multiple stabbings are fairly rare. In Austin, TX in May there was a man who killed one and injured three with a machete type weapon.

So, I understand and have discussed with people before this seemingly ridiculous idea that if we attempt to control firearms that people will just kill by some other means. I agree that, yes, there may be more stabbings, but that death by stabbing would ever reach the number of people we are now currently losing to firearms is, to me, just a ludicrous idea.

However, again, I readily admit that what is being argued here in America is what many, many people see as an abridgment of a right that our government wants us to have. So be it. It just means that these senseless killings will just continue on.

God bless,
In Christ, ted

Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi zatek,

I was just rereading some of the posts and came across yours where you ask how states can be rated with poor grades but have lower numbers of gun deaths:
California gets an 'A' but has a violent crime rate per 100k of 445, but Texas gets an 'F' and has a rate of 434 per 100k. The worst, by a HUGE margin, is the District of Columbia with 1,206 violent crimes per 100k people. The lowestest was Maine with 124 per 100k, but it gets an 'F' somehow? Vermont, also very low, 158 per 100k, also gets an 'F'?

I can offer you an answer for that. This particular site is rating states on their gun laws, not their state's count of gun deaths. So, there are states that have, what are considered by this site as lax gun laws, but also have lower per capita gun deaths. Now, the 'You'll have to take my gun from cold dead hand' group will tell you that this proves that gun laws don't matter because these states that have lower gun deaths also have lax gun laws. To a point, that's fine, but consider that even in the state of Maine, that lower rate still means that some 1,600 people are dead. They are dead because some person with free access to a firearm thought they should be. Although, I imagine that a few of these deaths in Maine might be accidental shootings by hunters, but not knowing all of the methodology of the numbers, I can't be sure.

God bless you,
In Christ, ted

Upvote 0

expos4ever

Oct 22, 2008
Montreal, Quebec
✟250,877.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
If someone is serious about suicide they will find a way, not having access to a gun is not going to stop them.

Seems reasonable, but what data there is suggests otherwise. A gun in the house increases suicide risk, period - they, in fact, often only kill themselves if they have a gun.

I can provide the citation on request.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

David Kent

Continuing Historicist
Aug 24, 2017
Ashford Kent
✟116,777.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Conservative
Switzerland is a good example of gun laws....The law requires each adult to be armed...They have the lowest crime rate and lowest rate of violence on the planet....Unless I've misunderstood that last stat.

Perhaps you have
But have you been to Switzerland and seen their driving on windy mountain roads? Their criminals have probably died on the roads.

We have gun control and gun crimes, includes all crimes including just carrying a gun are about 6000 a year and falling. They were over 9000 10 years ago. We currently have a gun amnesty where anyone can take a firearm to the police without fear of arrest, but the guns will be checked to see if they have been involved in criminal acts.

Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟820,148.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
So, if those gun laws keep some 10 year old boy from being shot by his brother because his parents leave their weapons laying around, they are not useful unless the total number of deaths are dropped? Not much logic in your position.

Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟820,148.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Gun control laws are pointless without gun registration. You can have all kinds of laws to prevent certain people from getting arms, but when people are able to sell them to whomever they wish without documentation, the effort is pointless.
How many states with gun laws don't have registration?

Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
So, if those gun laws keep some 10 year old boy from being shot by his brother because his parents leave their weapons laying around, they are not useful unless the total number of deaths are dropped? Not much logic in your position.

A reduction of 1 is still reduction from the total.

Upvote 0