Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
The article title is so obviously biased, "Gabby Giffords says Americans "overwhelmingly" support expanding background checks" but I do think the majority supported some form of background checks, though it is impossible to say whether they would support the same if the checks resulted in any possible use of a centralized database in the future.

Sure, just as it's impossible to say whether or not the NRA will ever do what the majority of its members want.

-- A2SG, but hey, ya never know, impossible things happen now and then.....

Upvote 0

Jeffwhosoever

Faithful Servant & Seminary Student
Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Sep 21, 2009
Southern US
✟394,089.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

A2SG

Gumby
Jun 17, 2008
Massachusetts
✟98,179.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0

Jeffwhosoever

Faithful Servant & Seminary Student
Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Sep 21, 2009
Southern US
✟394,089.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I've lived in one of the worst parts of Chicago for over 30 years and I've never felt a need for a gun. :wave:
tulc(is just sayn') :)

Not everyone wears seat belts either.

Upvote 0

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟276,738.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Tell you what, you find conflicting data to refute it, and we'll compare sources, mmmkay?

-- A2SG, easy to play the dismissal game, but it's harder to come up with real facts yourself, isn't it?

^_^ The problem that we run into with this (as I am sure you are well aware) is that with "sources", we end up quoting lies, damned lies, and statistics. You quote me poll results from lamestream media, which I don't trust insofar as accuracy goes, and I can quote you statistics from independant pollsters and organizations like the NRA which you will likewise dismiss....which brings us right back to where we are now.

Isn't it fun to live in such a totally polarized society? ;)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
^_^ The problem that we run into with this (as I am sure you are well aware) is that with "sources", we end up quoting lies, damned lies, and statistics. You quote me poll results from lamestream media, which I don't trust insofar as accuracy goes, and I can quote you statistics from independant pollsters and organizations like the NRA which you will likewise dismiss....which brings us right back to where we are now.

You are correct. Gun violence cases are reduced to statistics almost as fast as they occur, and turned into confusion at best and lies at worst. The only way the citizen has any hope of understanding gun violence is to review the actual case histories, or at least summaries of the events. I have done this and determined that there is no problem that new gun laws can solve and few that existing laws prevent.

In fact murder and suicide is just another part of the hard life here on planet earth. We should actually capitulate to science and embrace this full 'natural' evolutionary behavior. ^_^

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

A2SG

Gumby
Jun 17, 2008
Massachusetts
✟98,179.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

Well, you didn't provide those statistics from independent pollsters that say only a minority of people support background checks, so we can't even be sure they exist, can we?

Look, if you want to say you distrust anything the media says out of hand, without bothering to check and see if its true or not, that's your lookout. But that's a far cry from refuting it.

As far as I can tell, from a preponderance of the evidence, most Americans support universal background checks. If you want to say they don't, you'll need more than your knee-jerk distrust of the media to back it up.

-- A2SG, and the media is just as polarized as everyone else, let's not pretend they're more organized than they are....

Upvote 0
Mar 3, 2013
✟15,776.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0