Illinois
✟176,088.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I have formed no opinion on this subject, I have done very little research but I am interested to learn about this issue.

I would like to see where Christians stand on this subject, and share why they are either opposed to citizens owning guns or in support of it.

Freth

Site Supporter
Jul 11, 2020
Midwest, USA
✟379,119.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
My Christian perspective is that it's okay to own guns, as long as you understand the responsibility that comes with owning them.

I grew up with guns. My grandfather owned guns. My father owned guns. I own guns and my brother owns guns. My friends own guns. It's just normal to own guns in my neck of the woods (Ohio).

Why do I own guns? I grew up with them, and I enjoy owning them.

What have I done with guns and what do I do with guns?
  • Recreation - Skeet, target, airsoft, etc.
  • Hunting - Hunting for your own meat saves you money and it's better for you than store bought meat.
  • Security - Home defense and concealed carry on the go.
  • Safety - Learning how to safely own and operate guns, stances, grip, trigger discipline, etc.
  • Simulation/Drills - Learning tactics and methods for the sheer enjoyment of it, which also gives you knowledge of what to do in a situation that you hope will never come.
  • Investment - Guns hold their value over time and are a solid investment.
  • Hobby - It's fun to own guns, clean them, read about them and use them.
Notice... none of these things has me using them in an unlawful manner.

I have a simple opinion on gun control. Look at the evidence. I live in Ohio where a good chunk of the population owns a gun. People aren't killing each other.

I don't obsess over gun control, or owning guns. I simply own guns, because it's something I've been around my whole life and something I see value in for a variety of reasons. Since I came back to Christianity in 2016, the materialistic side of wanting to own more guns went away, but I still own guns as they serve many purposes, none of which include violence against others.

Upvote 0

PsaltiChrysostom

Mar 20, 2018
Virginia
✟69,766.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I now have friends and neighbors needlessly killed or affected by guns. Guess where I stand now.

Friend's son and pregnant daughter in law killed. Newlyweds Talon Rodgers and Alisa Wash found shot dead in Virginia apartment: cops
Former co-worker killed by white supremacist. Winthrop Shooting Victim Ramona Cooper Was 'The Type Of Person To Help Anyone,' Son Says
A friend of ours is filling in for the teacher shot at Richneck Elementary. We only live a couple miles from the school. Investigation into Richneck school shooting complete; case turned over to commonwealth’s attorney

Last edited:
  • Prayers
Reactions: Fantine
Upvote 0

BurningBush84

Feb 27, 2023
Minnesota
✟35,172.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Gang members commit gun violence all the time. Alot of them are felons who are not allowed to possess firearms. They keep re offending because they are not in prison. The reason they are not in prison is because Liberals are soft on crime, especially when the offenders are NOT caucasian . If people really were concerned about gun violence they would stop voting for people who are soft on crime.

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟560,799.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have an AR-15.
I do not like them (guns). I do not hunt, so the only reason we would buy this is for protection of your home and family. I do now know if I could ever shoot someone. I was in the military so I know how to use it. I have not even taken it out of the box or placed the iron site on the rifle.
Just do not like it. I hate that we feel pressured to own one.
From a political POV, I think it should be completely legal to own a weapon for self defense.

Reactions: JacksBratt
Upvote 0

Unqualified

243 God loves me
Site Supporter
Aug 17, 2020
West of Mississippi
✟415,674.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I like to shoot guns at the range or out in the woods. The gov. doesnt enforce the laws we have now. You can’t expect store owner to enforce the laws. We re strict in CA. Crime increases anyway. Some laws are good, but not a perfect deterrent to sell to criminals. Life is not perfect or fair or just. Gun crime is vogue because it’s in the lime light. Gun control will never work.

Upvote 0

BurningBush84

Feb 27, 2023
Minnesota
✟35,172.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Leading cause of death for US children. Auto safety has gone up while gun safety has gone down.

View attachment 329178

. Here's a statement from 3 years ago. "Since 1903, the earliest year of data available, the per capita rate of gun accident deaths has decreased 95 percent, from 3.1 to 0.14 deaths per 100,000 population".

• Informative
Reactions: JacksBratt
Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟314,659.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Citation needed.
  • Since 1903, the earliest year of data available, the per capita rate of gun accident deaths has decreased 95 percent, from 3.1 to 0.14 deaths per 100,000 population. [1]

Interesting that if you click on the reference [1] you get to this.

I think I've discovered pure unfiltered circular logic.

Upvote 0

BurningBush84

Feb 27, 2023
Minnesota
✟35,172.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
yeah, agree, either that quote excludes children, or the number of intentional child killings makes up the balance of accidental killings.
The chart posted by DaisyDay shows exactly what was stated, auto deaths on the decrease while gun deaths continue to rise and are the leading cause of death in US children.

Then again, there are those who are okay sacrificing children on the alter of the NRA.
  • More children ages 1–4 die from drowning than any other cause of death.
  • For children ages 5–14, drowning is the second leading cause of unintentional injury death after motor vehicle crashes.

we better ban swimming and automobiles

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Semper-Fi

Site Supporter
May 26, 2019
Pacific north west
✟404,495.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Joe Biden issued an executive order

"By the authority vested in me as President by the Constitution and
the laws of the United States of America, I hereby order as follows:...."

The Constitution does not grant the executive branch the authority to make
laws and specifically prohibits the legislative branch from making laws
that infringe upon the “right of the people to keep and bear arms.”

Reactions: jas3
Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,096,109.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
MOD HAT ON

241636_9f4a3046555e3431f8a087b68dbce899_thumb.jpg

MOD HAT OFF

Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA/Belize
✟1,748,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
ADVISOR HAT

This thread has had a small clean up as it was moved to a Christian Only forum. As the OP is asking for Christian opinions, the Christian only forums are a better fit.
Reopening.

Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,656.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
My family has been around and used guns since the 1800's. Guns are not a problem. Bad people are the problem.

Let's face it, you are never, in our lifetime, going to gather up and destroy all the guns. So, they are here, like it or not.

First:

Would you like to have all the good people, who get trained, licensed, background checked and use guns for hunting, sport or self defense..
Would you like all of these people to be totally unarmed while, inevitably all the people that have guns are, by logic... then criminals?

Second:

All governing bodies that desire to overpower and control their people.... don't want the people to have any way to defend their freedom.
How did the US break away from Britain? The right to bear arms is so that the people (who are the boss of the governing elect ) can defend themselves and their freedom from a rouge government who desires to take away the freedom of those that they are to be subject to.

Third:

As someone here has stated. The government is soft on crime of all kinds. However, especially on gun crime. Same in Canada.
They know that the answer is harsh and stiff punishment for crimes that involve guns but they refuse to do so.
Why? The simple fact is that gun crime, by criminals that don't obey laws anyway.... is the best way to preach that they need more gun laws.
Then, they can take the guns from those that are not criminals.

Fourth:

If a person is on the street in any city in Canada, just carrying a handgun... they are breaking at least 21 laws... What... in the name of logic... is one or two more laws going to do to change that?

The laws are not doing anything. Make 1, 2 or 3 more laws.... why not 20 more laws... ban talking about them... without consequences... it's a waste of time. You need punishment.

In the end.. The leaders of Canada, the US and other countries are on a path to take away the freedom of the people.. point blank. Break the economy, flood the population with criminals, censor those who speak the truth, create unemployment, increase crime, hamper the supply line and make things scarce, create conflict and divide the people... create racial conflict... create religious conflict....

They want a Venezuela... They want a China... They want a North Korea.... They are students and minions of Klaus Schwab and the WEF.

The few elite with all the money.. want to take all you have. Your home, your freedom.. your religion....

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jamdoc

Watching and Praying Always
Oct 22, 2019
Helena
✟206,463.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
My Christian perspective is that it's okay to own guns, as long as you understand the responsibility that comes with owning them.

I grew up with guns. My grandfather owned guns. My father owned guns. I own guns and my brother owns guns. My friends own guns. It's just normal to own guns in my neck of the woods (Ohio).

Why do I own guns? I grew up with them, and I enjoy owning them.

What have I done with guns and what do I do with guns?
  • Recreation - Skeet, target, airsoft, etc.
  • Hunting - Hunting for your own meat saves you money and it's better for you than store bought meat.
  • Security - Home defense and concealed carry on the go.
  • Safety - Learning how to safely own and operate guns, stances, grip, trigger discipline, etc.
  • Simulation/Drills - Learning tactics and methods for the sheer enjoyment of it, which also gives you knowledge of what to do in a situation that you hope will never come.
  • Investment - Guns hold their value over time and are a solid investment.
  • Hobby - It's fun to own guns, clean them, read about them and use them.
Notice... none of these things has me using them in an unlawful manner.

I have a simple opinion on gun control. Look at the evidence. I live in Ohio where a good chunk of the population owns a gun. People aren't killing each other.

I don't obsess over gun control, or owning guns. I simply own guns, because it's something I've been around my whole life and something I see value in for a variety of reasons. Since I came back to Christianity in 2016, the materialistic side of wanting to own more guns went away, but I still own guns as they serve many purposes, none of which include violence against others.
All of this but while I support other people hunting, I myself personally do not hunt nor really wish to. I just don't have desire to kill anything if I don't absolutely have to. I like shooting inanimate objects only.

Upvote 0

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟731,354.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
I have formed no opinion on this subject, I have done very little research but I am interested to learn about this issue.

I would like to see where Christians stand on this subject, and share why they are either opposed to citizens owning guns or in support of it.
I see Christians all over the mao when it comes to the topic of owning and using firearms to kill your neighbor.

Some say it is your right and even duty to defend the Christian way of life from the infidels. I think more Christians are pacifists and would rather take a bullet that give one.

Upvote 0

peaceful-forest

Nov 5, 2022
-
✟65,263.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

I support gun ownership. There is nothing wrong with owning a gun as long as it's for the right reasons.

Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,656.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
All of this but while I support other people hunting, I myself personally do not hunt nor really wish to. I just don't have desire to kill anything if I don't absolutely have to. I like shooting inanimate objects only.
Fair enough. I know lots of people that enjoy the use of firearms for such recreation. This is just another use of a very safe non violent device.

Many things on this earth are very useful and a form of tool or recreation for the vast majority of those that use them.

Many things on this earth are used for violent and evil actions... by those that are evil..... that are otherwise devices used daily by the vast majority of people.

Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,656.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I see Christians all over the mao when it comes to the topic of owning and using firearms to kill your neighbor.

Some say it is your right and even duty to defend the Christian way of life from the infidels. I think more Christians are pacifists and would rather take a bullet that give one.
I can't say that I agree with "rights to defend the Christian way of life from infidels"... with a firearm.
I am a long long way from using any of my firearms to kill another human, to defend my religion or freedom.

However, this is why the constitution of the US has this written. To bear arms.

It is to protect your and your loved ones and countrymen and women from those that want to take away your freedoms.

Even though I believe it would have to get far far worse in the US and Canada to get to a point where firearms would be used... I could be wrong.

The turning of those in power can come very rapidly and sudden.

The governments of the US and Canada are not immune to such a downfall. Taking the rights to own a firearm away from the people of a country... is a very necessary step in ensuring that resistance to such a change will be less violent and deadly... They want resistance to be very weak and short lived.

Don't be naive..... the government knows that they have no reason to take firearms from law abiding citizens... They are on a mission to form a one world global system. The great reset.

This is not going to be a good system for the vast majority of the populous of our great countries. They want a defenseless and helpless population.

Upvote 0