• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Guilt and question about a TV show

Aug 6, 2012
✟15,164.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So, on TLC, which is one of my favourite channels to watch on TV, there's a new show airing called 'Long Island Medium'. My younger sis told me more what it was about and I was intrigued with it, so I stuck it on series record. It's not aired yet, but after I told Mom that I put it on record, she told me how God is really against mediums(people who, I suppose, speak for the dead), and then I felt really guilty about even wanting to watch the show and sticking it on record. =( Now, I watch anime and stuff, which isn't always the most christianly of things, but THAT I know it's just all cartoons, none of it's real, and it's purely for entertainment... but this show's with real people and I assume real situations(since mostly everything on TLC is real events), and I just don't know if I should watch it. I feel guilty about wanting to watch it and when I told my mom that after she was telling me she and my dad used to watch stuff like that, she asked me WHY I was guilty and my response was 'Because I'm messed up', but ugh.
I had rather bad anxiety during school today, and it's only the second day. One time was during geometry when I got two things wrong on my work that I shouldn't have gotten wrong(as in, I knew better than to get those wrong) and then during history when I forgot to take notes. Luckily I was able to copy down my friend's notes.

I guess here comes the reassurance seeking part of OCD as I ask: Is all what I'm feeling above: The guilt for wanting to watch that show(and you know, I know the bible's against wizardry, but I watch Harry Potter with no remorse), and the 'this is the end of the world/I'm trash' feeling I got during school towards those two times, is it all just OCD?

(Oh, a random thing, I keep getting intrusive thoughts towards having my throat slit with either a knife or getting a paper cut on my throat. Weird, I know, but it's been going on for a couple days and makes me really uncomfortable to think about because I can almost feel it, or I can imagine what it would feel like and it makes me cringe. *shudder*)

I admit I've been busy and I've been finding a hard time to fit in bible reading(is bible supposed to be capitalised?), but ahg, these last couple days I've really been noticing my obsessions and even compulsions more these last couple days.

gracealone

Apr 5, 2007
Michigan
✟18,349.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hi Fluffy gerbil,
I've watched some fictional type things too which may have ghosts or spirits or whatever in them but like you said I'm wholly aware that they are fictional/fantasy type things. I don't like to make too much of Satan by seeing him in everything... like maybe he's possessed my mailbox or that dressing up like a witch for halloween means your child will be a Satan worshiper - things like that. I think there has to be a balance (a happy medium... sorry :)) where we are aware that Satan is active in this world and warring against the plans of God but not become afraid of or obsessed with his power or influence over us via a fictional/fantasy TV show or anything like that . But having said that I would tend to avoid shows where real folk are dabbling with the unseen spirit world like the one you mentioned. Not that I think Satans gonna pop out of your TV and grab you but we don't need to have an unhealthy curiosity about such things which God has spoken against in His scriptures. I think Satan can be pleased with both extremes.. people who are so afraid of him that they see him in everything and spend all their time worrying about his attacks and people who won't acknowledge that he is doing his level best to tempt us to sin and thereby harm the testimony of Christ in us. Usually when we give into temptation we are pulled into it by our own fleshly nature but we still must acknowledge that Satan enjoys dangling the carrot so to speak. But in the end we are the ones responsible for taking it or not. Personally I wouldn't watch the show and leave it at that but I also wouldn't make a big hairy deal out of the fact that I watched it before I made that choice. Just press on and forget about it. Don't get all hyper sensitive though about seeing Satan in everything or your OCD will have a field day with you.
My two cents for what it's worth.
Take care sweetie.
Mitzi

So, on TLC, which is one of my favourite channels to watch on TV, there's a new show airing called 'Long Island Medium'. My younger sis told me more what it was about and I was intrigued with it, so I stuck it on series record. It's not aired yet, but after I told Mom that I put it on record, she told me how God is really against mediums(people who, I suppose, speak for the dead), and then I felt really guilty about even wanting to watch the show and sticking it on record. =( Now, I watch anime and stuff, which isn't always the most christianly of things, but THAT I know it's just all cartoons, none of it's real, and it's purely for entertainment... but this show's with real people and I assume real situations(since mostly everything on TLC is real events), and I just don't know if I should watch it. I feel guilty about wanting to watch it and when I told my mom that after she was telling me she and my dad used to watch stuff like that, she asked me WHY I was guilty and my response was 'Because I'm messed up', but ugh.
I had rather bad anxiety during school today, and it's only the second day. One time was during geometry when I got two things wrong on my work that I shouldn't have gotten wrong(as in, I knew better than to get those wrong) and then during history when I forgot to take notes. Luckily I was able to copy down my friend's notes.

I guess here comes the reassurance seeking part of OCD as I ask: Is all what I'm feeling above: The guilt for wanting to watch that show(and you know, I know the bible's against wizardry, but I watch Harry Potter with no remorse), and the 'this is the end of the world/I'm trash' feeling I got during school towards those two times, is it all just OCD?

(Oh, a random thing, I keep getting intrusive thoughts towards having my throat slit with either a knife or getting a paper cut on my throat. Weird, I know, but it's been going on for a couple days and makes me really uncomfortable to think about because I can almost feel it, or I can imagine what it would feel like and it makes me cringe. *shudder*)

I admit I've been busy and I've been finding a hard time to fit in bible reading(is bible supposed to be capitalised?), but ahg, these last couple days I've really been noticing my obsessions and even compulsions more these last couple days.

Upvote 0
K

kaykay9.0

Sometimes OCD can make us overly sensitive to a lot of things but in THIS case, I don't think you should watch the show. I don't consider that's OCD since the Bible is so clear about avoiding occultic practices.

Sometimes we are tempted by curiosity or our flesh or whatever to watch things we know are not good to watch. Even Christians who have walked with the Lord for many years. I remember having a conversation one time with my teen-age son and admitting to him that I have some attraction to watching scary (horror type) movies but I KNOW as a Christian this is decidedly not the kind of stuff we need to be putting into our minds. We just have to say "no" to those desires even though we have some deire to watch. Does that make sense?

Upvote 0

raven1

Jun 6, 2011
Richmond, Va.
✟2,403.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I love ghost stuff . I watch ghost stuff all the time but I don't ghost hunt even though it would be awesome. Two really good friends and I go the psychic fair every year. While they buy crystals and sage I buy crosses etc. and while they get there readings I walk around. I actually bought a ghost box ad used it once for like two minutes then freaked I would hear a ghost. My best friend is a Wiccan Christian. It's bizarre. She knows I have some trouble with it.

Its all in how it makes you feel I guess.

Upvote 0
K

kaykay9.0

Thanks for the replies-- yeah, I decided I wouldn't watch the show. =) And I'm glad with my decision, too.
Again, thanks for reading and taking the time to reply. <3

I think you made a wise decision, Fluffpuff. Chapter 18 of Deuteronomy and other passages in the bible make it so clear that that this kind of stuff is demonic and displeasing to God. So I just can't think that it's healthy or wise for a Christian to
subject themselves to it any way. And no, I don't believe that's OCD talking!;)

Upvote 0
K

kaykay9.0

I love ghost stuff . I watch ghost stuff all the time but I don't ghost hunt even though it would be awesome. Two really good friends and I go the psychic fair every year. While they buy crystals and sage I buy crosses etc. and while they get there readings I walk around. I actually bought a ghost box ad used it once for like two minutes then freaked I would hear a ghost. My best friend is a Wiccan Christian. It's bizarre. She knows I have some trouble with it.

Wow, raven, I do not see Christianity as being compatible with wicca at all!

Upvote 0

Murmur

Thought Criminal
Sep 20, 2004
Albany, OR
✟16,922.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

See, I'm the one that buys the crystals and does pendulum readings. Be VERY careful with the Spirit Box! Give it to your friend... she'll know what to do with it. Almost as bad as a Ouija board, in my opinion... I love ghost stuff too, and have had my share of experiences with the spirit world. You're more than welcome to PM me if you have questions... I'm glad your friend understands. :)

Upvote 0

gracealone

Apr 5, 2007
Michigan
✟18,349.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Good choice! Glad to hear that.
Mitzi
Thanks for the replies-- yeah, I decided I wouldn't watch the show. =) And I'm glad with my decision, too.
Again, thanks for reading and taking the time to reply. <3

Upvote 0

gracealone

Apr 5, 2007
Michigan
✟18,349.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I have no idea what a Wiccan Christian would be... seems like an oxymoron to me. What do the things of the devil have to do with the things of God?
Also, God does forbid the dabbling in these kind of things. Remember how Saul angered God by visiting the witch of Endor. He did it sneakily too because it knew it would displease God.
I'd steer completely clear of all those things Raven. Don't steer clear of your friend but don't participate in those things which displease God. Just be kind and loving to her.
Mitzi

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

raven1

Jun 6, 2011
Richmond, Va.
✟2,403.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
She believes in God. She doesn't have a doubt in her mind. She just dies spells with candles etc. nothing bad. She is a white witch. All her spells are for good things. She never does harm spells. She does get readings though which I have been tempted to get myself and have twice.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
K

kaykay9.0

I have no idea what a Wiccan Christian would be... seems like an oxymoron to me. What do the things of the devil have to do with the things of God?
Also, God does forbid the dabbling in these kind of things. Remember how Saul angered God by visiting the witch of Endor. He did it sneakily too because it knew it would displease God.
I'd steer completely clear of all those things Raven. Don't steer clear of your friend but don't participate in those things which displease God. Just be kind and loving to her.
Mitzi

A big amen to what Mitzi has said here!:amen: Deuteronomy 18 makes it pretty clear that God's people are to avoid such. (including fortune tellers and those who would give readings.)

Upvote 0