Dec 8, 2004
South Georgia, USA
Visit site
✟8,096.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
We will be having our first house blessing soon.

Is it O.K. to have guests over for this? I am thinking of inviting over a few neighbors, friends, and family members. With there not being an Orthodox Church nearby (we travel 2 1/2 hours to Church) I thought this would be a way to give the people I know a little exposure to Orthodoxy and a chance to meet and speak with an Orthodox priest.

What do you think?

Spyridon

Dec 8, 2004
South Georgia, USA
Visit site
✟8,096.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I have sent my priest an email and I'm waiting for an answer. I'm just looking for others' thoughts/ experiences. Of course I will do as my priest says.

Has anyone here had guests at their house blessing?

Edit: Just received email from priest telling me to invite whomever we wish, and it will be fun.

Still would like to hear any experiences with nonOrthodox guests at house blessings.

Upvote 0

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Spyridon said:
I have sent my priest an email and I'm waiting for an answer. I'm just looking for others' thoughts/ experiences. Of course I will do as my priest says.

Has anyone here had guests at their house blessing?

Edit: Just received email from priest telling me to invite whomever we wish, and it will be fun.

Still would like to hear any experiences with nonOrthodox guests at house blessings.

I went to several house blessings. Before the Priest arrived we were busy helping to fix the food (hor d'oerves) but none of us ate anything because we were waiting for the priest to bless the food too.

Once the priest arrived, he went into all the rooms while we sang the Troparion of the Epiphany. By the time the priest had blessed the home, we all knew that Troparion by heart.

The priest made the comment that he was glad to see an Icon in every room of the house (except the bathrooms, of course).

Afterwards, Father said the grace before meals and we started nibbling on the hor d'oerves. Then we helped the hostess bring in the hot dishes where we set up a buffet dinner. It was a pot luck dinner and we had a wonderful time.

After the dinner, Father held a question and answer session and we begged him to give a little sermonette, which he did. Yes, there were some non-Orthodox guests and they felt right at home, particularly because Father was very knowledgeable about the Bible. He even asked for a Bible so that he could quote from it. That really helped to break the ice for the non-Orthodox who were devout Christians. They were very impressed.

Reactions: moses916
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.