• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

guess what? Aspergers is a curse!

jackmt

Dec 10, 2011
Missoula Montana
✟16,271.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I dont care who you think you are! Aspergers is a curse and you know it! It has ruined my life and made me ruin my relationship with my gf. Now she hates me and is dating my room mate! I hate myself and quit putting on your stupid faces on how wonderful Aspergers is! your a fool if you think so!

Having Asperger's is difficult, especially when you don't know what you're dealing with. But for you to say there is nothing good about it tells me you are only recently Dxed and are well aware of your weaknesses but haven't yet discovered your strengths. It is well said that if it weren't for Aspies, we'd all be sitting in caves socializing. Many, if not most, inventors were/are Aspies. Albert Einstein, Thomas Edison, Thomas Jefferson, Bill Gates, and many other greats are Aspies. As are many unsung greats. You are in college I assume. Your Aspieness gives you many great advantages there. Focus on the positive, learn to manage the difficulties. You can have a good life if you work at it.

And losing one's girlfriend to a roommate happens to NTs as well.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dayhiker

Mature veteran
Sep 13, 2006
MA
✟220,077.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Sorry, drag, that you are experiencing so many pains from your AS traits.

One thing you might work on is accepting people for who they are. I'm probably the one who has said most often they are thankful for being AS. If I was the type that took offense from what others said, I'd feel you just called me a liar. But I have spoken from my heart.

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟958,893.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have a Windows XP computer (on dial-up). I might be able to do more with a Windows 7/8 one (on DSL), but I am going to make the most of this one unless & until that changes...

• Agree
Reactions: Beloved Pure
Upvote 0

MoeSzyslak

Sep 1, 2007
✟15,971.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I have a Windows XP computer (on dial-up). I might be able to do more with a Windows 7/8 one (on DSL), but I am going to make the most of this one unless & until that changes...
At first I thought you posted this in the wrong thread. But after a bit I realized you were using computers as an analogy. This darn literal thinking always gets me.
I agree you have to make the best with what you've been given. I frequently get bitter and resentful and have to remind myself of that.

Upvote 0

jackmt

Dec 10, 2011
Missoula Montana
✟16,271.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It's no more or less a curse than any other disorder. Or being an NT, for that matter. I don't think I'd give it up to be "normal." I perceive the world in ways an NT cannot. I just wish I'd known what I was dealing with 20 years ago when the Dx became available in America. How different my life would be now.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

GenetoJean

Veteran
Jun 25, 2012
Delaware
Visit site
✟18,940.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Drag, I agree with you mostly. I dont see anything good about it. I have learned to live with it but it is a lonely existance. It also gets tiring everyone laughing at you. I hope you can find a way to live with yourself. You will definately be in my prayers.

Upvote 0

jackmt

Dec 10, 2011
Missoula Montana
✟16,271.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Has anyone heard of Sheldon Cooper from the Big Bang Theory? I have heard he has Aspergers as well.

His character is based on a real person with Asperger's. They didn't want to say Sheldon has Asperger's because then they would feel a responsibility to portray Asperger's accurately. But several other roles are clearly Asperger's. My favorite is "Bones." House may have it as well, but it's not so clear.

Upvote 0

elevationgirl

Feb 23, 2012
Park City, UT
✟7,660.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I have AS and so does my son.... and yes it sucks. I worry for my son who is only 12, every day is a struggle.

But just so you know, focus on your interests and studies. My father has Asperger's but his special interest was flying, and he became an airline captain for 30 years! He made $130K a month and traveled the world, met my mother and with her help (in the social & organizational world) they are traveling the world together after being married 53 years.

Forget your x girlfriend, she's not good enough for you! It will get easier as you get older. I had a couple of broken hearts.

Yes, AS is a curse, but you can use the positives to make up for the rest.

Stacy

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

fearingdeath

Oct 7, 2012
✟15,209.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I know the pain of discomfort upon discomfort upon discomfort.
If you want someone to talk to I'm here.
When no one is there, Jesus is. He always is there.
Jesus will always be with you, you only forsake yourself.
If you can't get a hold of me, you can get a hold of him.
Cast your anxieties on the LORD as in 1 Peter 5:7 bible.𝐜𝐜/1_peter/5-7.htm

I see a headshrinker. He diagnosed me with Asperger's. He also said schizotypal can be a possibility to which is like the Asperger's of schizophrenia I guess, but not hearing voices. More so paranoia and more so, a personality disorder. Very similar to Asperger's in some respects.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schizotypal_personality_disorder said:
♢ Ideas of reference (excluding delusions of reference)
♢ Odd beliefs or magical thinking that influences behavior and is inconsistent with subcultural norms (e.g. superstition, belief in clairvoyance, telepathy, "sixth sense", or bizarre fantasies or preoccupations)
♢ Unusual perceptual experiences, including bodily illusions
♢ Odd thinking and speech (e.g. vague, circumstantial, metaphorical, or stereotyped speaking)
♢Suspiciousness or paranoid ideation
♢Inappropriate or constricted affect
♢Behavior or appearance that is odd, eccentric or peculiar
♢Lack of close friends or confidants other than first degree relatives
♢Excessive social anxiety that does not diminish with familiarity and tends to be associated with paranoid fears rather than negative judgments about self.

__________________✟✞✟__________________​

Upvote 0

MoeSzyslak

Sep 1, 2007
✟15,971.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I agree with curse.

The talk of this celebrity supposedly had aspergers or this person has aspergers and made a good living offers no consolation to me. I am literally alone. I do not have a single friend. My family growing up was very dysfunctional so we don't communicate anymore (which is also advised by my counselor due to I have PTSD from the whole scenario). There isn't a single church member who would choose to associate with me. This is years of trying across many churches and denominations. I also work alone, often from home. I am literally alone and isolated 24 hours a day 7 days a week. I am 43 years old, don't say I haven't tried. I have spent decades trying. It's only in the past few months that I have given up. It's futile. I actually had more social contacts when I lived in a monastery. How's that for irony. I lived in a monastery for awhile and it increased my social life. (I thought people went to a monstery to get away from it? go figure?)

Even if I made $5 million a year and was the top celebrity, it wouldn't undue the curse. It still wouldn't be worth it. That stuff is no consolation prize.

Upvote 0

Miserere

Feb 5, 2013
✟7,705.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I dont care who you think you are! Aspergers is a curse and you know it! It has ruined my life and made me ruin my relationship with my gf. Now she hates me and is dating my room mate! I hate myself and quit putting on your stupid faces on how wonderful Aspergers is! your a fool if you think so!

It's only a curse if you allow it to be.
Pity parties don't help the situation much, either.

Upvote 0

RCF

Feb 21, 2013
Decatur, AL
✟7,859.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't have AS but my son does. He is 10. I have seen the looks other people give him and me, for that matter. I have been right there with you. There have been days in which I didn't know wether to fall down on my knees and pray, or try to perform some kind of exorcism. Seriously. It can be that bad.

I don't know what to tell you except I love you. I Love every person who has to hold his nose in a normal cafeteria because the smell is so strong that it becomes intolerable. I love every person that loves telling their facts and stories even though others around seceretly laugh and wonder what in the world he's talking so much for. I love every one of you guys that cannot understand why a person has the right to tell you what to do just because of them being older and in a supposed authority position, but not being in enough authority of their own classroom to keep the other kids from driving you crazy( intentionally or unintentionally).

I have had joys with him, too; more than I have time to list. I think that some of the hilltops seemed a lot higher because of some of the valleys we just walked through.

I wish I had more answers.
Please don't give up.

People that aren't familiar with what you are going through need to keep their hurtfull comments to themselves. You don't know what it is like. You can't feel the agony, the injustice, the pain!

I am asking you to fight for yourselves. Fight to find a friend. Fight to help someone that you don't know...me. (not a literal. physical fight, but a more dificult mental fight). Tell me what to do for my son. Find a way to verbalize what he's going through so I can be a better father. I don't even know your name but I am asking you to reach out and give me guidelines.

My son is very smart. He is very verbally advanced. And just when we think things are going along good, we have one of those days. I cannot say some of the things on this board he has said and done. I can see it tearing him up inside when he realozes what has just happened. It is like a switch is flipped and he is a totally diferent kid. The switch goes both ways by the way.

You guys have been there. I've been to some of the lows and highs, but we have a long way to go. I know the bible says do not fear about a million times, but it is dificult often times.

He is enrolled in a homeschool group program that is helping a lot, but none of the teachers have ever had a spectrum disorder. You guys with the ASDs get on here and tell me to do the things that would have helped you. I know every case is different...believe me, I know. But doing something has to be better than just being afraid or angry or disengaged. Right?

Maybe helping others will help you in some way, i don't know. But you guys hold so much information in those atypical minds of yours, you might as well put it to good use.

I had no idea I was going to go this way with this message, but hey, here it is. The good, bad, and the ugly. But I still love you all.

In brotherly, and aspergers fatherly love,
RCF

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟958,893.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
RCF,
Welcome to Christian Forums. :wave:

There are no easy answers to this. I have Aspergers, too, and my Aspie children still confound me on a regular basis. Since I have it, too, I usually understand what sets them off, but I don't always know how to best diffuse those situations.

Though it appears that Aspergers, itself, may not be demonic at its root, we are still susceptible as to demonization as any other fallen humans. When that is the case, we just wear it differently. Deliverance may be in order for some problems. I have received some in years past and am grateful for it. To date, God hasn't put Aspergers itself on the table, though, suggesting it is an intentional feature.

Especially when young, we Aspies tend to be rabid idealists about how things ought to be. Unfortunately, it makes us perfectionistic* and legalistic, too. When our lives don't go the way we think they ought to, it is a source of great frustration. Our response may be to try to fix those "problems," so they won't come back. (That may be why so many of us grow up to be engineers & scientists.) We either fix it, lessen it or have no effect on it whatsoever. Some hardships are just unavoidable.

Your mission is to help your son integrate the imperfections of real life into his world-view so he will start to have more realistic expectations (about how life works) and plan accordingly. That is a tall order for a 10yo. We still remain idealists just with lowered expectations.

As a Christian, I know that we live in a fallen world/universe and that God's thoughts & ways are higher than mine. As long as His direction is clear, I can trust Him, even without understanding Him, if need be.

*See my blog post "Perfectly Mistaken."

Upvote 0