✟91,578.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I've heard the phrase a lot. So what does it mean to you? I've heard a few explanations and wonder if there's one accepted meaning to the phrase, or if it can be used in a few senses.

For example, I hear it used by some to say exercise caution when entering a relationship, but others use it to mean avoid relationships all together when needed.

Reactions: Sanctified

K9_Trainer

Unusually unusual, absolutely unpredictable
May 31, 2006
✟18,437.00
Faith
Pantheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Idk, thats a bit too of an emotionally toned phrase for me to use.

But I think its the equivalent to me staying detached, not putting full trust in people. If I don't want to fall for somebody, I can prevent it with my mind set. To be honest, its allowing myself to fall for somebody that's the issue because then I have to release that control and I'm not very good at it LOL.

Upvote 0

Brad2009

Feb 10, 2009
USA
✟9,437.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Because the heart is wildly unpredictable and often foolish, but also the core of your being?

Jeremiah 17:5-10
5 This is what the LORD says:

“Cursed is the one who trusts in man,
who draws strength from mere flesh
and whose heart turns away from the LORD.
6 That person will be like a bush in the wastelands;
they will not see prosperity when it comes.
They will dwell in the parched places of the desert,
in a salt land where no one lives.

7 “But blessed is the one who trusts in the LORD,
whose confidence is in him.
8 They will be like a tree planted by the water
that sends out its roots by the stream.
It does not fear when heat comes;
its leaves are always green.
It has no worries in a year of drought
and never fails to bear fruit.”

9 The heart is deceitful above all things
and beyond cure.
Who can understand it?

10 “I the LORD search the heart
and examine the mind,
to reward each person according to their conduct,
according to what their deeds deserve.”

------------------------------

To guard your heart then is to bring it under the control of the Holy Spirit, IMO.

Upvote 0

mina

Brown Eyed girl
Sep 26, 2003
in the South
✟115,511.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
for me, it's meant - don't be so quick to "fall" for a person or idea. Think first. It's easy for anyone to get caught up in their own emotions and go along with something that really isn't all that great for you in the long run. There is a lot of emotionally charged ideas, situations, and persons that drive us, especially when the people around us are caught up in it. think , be in control, and don't allow yourself to chase down every rabbit hole you see or that is offered to you. Know what God wants for you and your life and don't allow yourself to be swayed by everything that comes down the pipeline.

It could be anything , not just relationships (although it can apply-just because someone shows interest in you it doesn't always mean you are "meant" to be together....); investing, friendships, societies influences, singleness or the idea of singleness , etc. if you know something to be right- do it- don't allow someone or something to talk you into compromising yourself.

Last edited:
Reactions: Obzocky
Upvote 0

Im_A

Legend
May 10, 2004
✟35,359.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
In Relationship
I've heard the phrase a lot. So what does it mean to you? I've heard a few explanations and wonder if there's one accepted meaning to the phrase, or if it can be used in a few senses.

For example, I hear it used by some to say exercise caution when entering a relationship, but others use it to mean avoid relationships all together when needed.
Its a horrible mentality if you ask me.

It pre-supposes that someone is going to hurt someone.
It pushes opportunities away.
It makes the individual sound like a confused, commitment lacking individual.
It shows the inability for that individual to deal with conflict, or a breakup.

The only way one should guard their heart...is a healthy lifestyle with food and habits. One should be able to deal with a relationship breaking up without ending their lives or causing too much stress on themselves.

Upvote 0
S

Sunset2009

This idea is probably "wrong," but for me, I go into relationships (and this will sound bad, maybe) with the mindset that, "This is not my husband. I may not marry this man. My husband could be out there right now waiting for me." When I look at it like that, like my husband is out there and it's not this man, or his wife is out there, and I am not his wife, it is easier to guard my heart. Not fall for him to hard, not plan out my whole life and future with him, not do things that would be dishonorable to my husband, etc.

Upvote 0

Wren

Dec 19, 2006
PNW
✟33,144.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I hadn't heard it before CF. Then again, I generally don't hear Christianese offline, even among other Christians.

I thought it meant having an emotional distance from the opposite sex, so that you don't rush into anything on an emotional (usually romantic) level. For instance, so many Christians say they want to be friends first and I thought that was part of guarding their hearts.

All I know is that I'm not good at that, and from reading some posts in this thread, maybe I shouldn't be. *shrugs* I don't hold back. If I like someone, I pursue it (not directly asking a guy out, but still) and I don't hold back (emotionally) on dates. Then again, I'm generally an open person. I can't tamper my enthusiasm for someone or something, just because it's the wise thing to do. It's not who I am and I think one of my assets is my enthusiasm and openness. Have I gotten my heart broken in the past? Yes, but I don't think that's necessarily why and I don't want to artificially ('cause is sure doesn't come naturally to me) hold back, out of fear. After all, along with that heart break, I've allowed myself to feel quite a bit of hope and joy. Those are good things. And I still use my brain along with those emotions. Probably more than you were asking for.
:D

Reactions: scraparcs
Upvote 0

Im_A

Legend
May 10, 2004
✟35,359.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
In Relationship
I hadn't heard it before CF. Then again, I generally don't hear Christianese offline, even among other Christians.

I thought it meant having an emotional distance from the opposite sex, so that you don't rush into anything on an emotional (usually romantic) level. For instance, so many Christians say they want to be friends first and I thought that was part of guarding their hearts.

All I know is that I'm not good at that, and from reading some posts in this thread, maybe I shouldn't be. *shrugs* I don't hold back. If I like someone, I pursue it (not directly asking a guy out, but still) and I don't hold back (emotionally) on dates. Then again, I'm generally an open person. I can't tamper my enthusiasm for someone or something, just because it's the wise thing to do. It's not who I am and I think one of my assets is my enthusiasm and openness. Have I gotten my heart broken in the past? Yes, but I don't think that's necessarily why and I don't want to artificially ('cause is sure doesn't come naturally to me) hold back, out of fear. After all, along with that heart break, I've allowed myself to feel quite a bit of hope and joy. Those are good things. And I still use my brain along with those emotions. Probably more than you were asking for.
:D
In my opinion...that is the way one should be.

When you want someone, you jump off the cliff head first and look forward to the flips on the way down.

Go Big or Go Home.

My metaphorical heart and head is resilient. Not because I'm this amazingly strong guy...but because I'm a human being and I like to move on, I like to begin again, I want to find something good for me in this area while I'm alive. This isn't amazing self-help 101 here.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Allen1901

King's Knight
Nov 1, 2008
The Road to Damascus, Virginia U.S.A.
✟73,745.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I've heard the phrase a lot.

I guess we see it a lot on CF because it's from the Bible:

Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life. Prov. 4:23 NIV

We are told how to guard our hearts in Phil. 4:6-7:

Philippians 4:6-7 NIV
6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.
7 And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Upvote 0

Howard Cneal

Oct 26, 2010
✟16,809.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

It means not to just give your dear heart away to the first cutie who walks by you and flashes you a smile. You want to be wise about it. Don't wear your heart on a sleeve. I, myself, have had to learn to be more prudent about not giving away my love to those unworthy of it. I'm gonna go one up and say 'Don't give what is holy (your heart) to the dogs (those who will use and abuse it).' That verse may not be specifically talking about romance, but the advice still applies.

Upvote 0

K9_Trainer

Unusually unusual, absolutely unpredictable
May 31, 2006
✟18,437.00
Faith
Pantheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I understand not wanting to get hurt but if you don't put it all on the line there's no point.

Agreed, but I don't think its wise to put total trust into somebody that you've just met. For me, trust, and putting it all on the line, come with time. Its something that somebody is going to have to earn...Not just members of the opposite sex, but of the same sex as well.

Upvote 0

Stravinsk

Neo Baroque/Rococo Classical Artist
Mar 4, 2009
Australia
✟9,955.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Politics
US-Libertarian
I guess we see it a lot on CF because it's from the Bible:

Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life. Prov. 4:23 NIV

We are told how to guard our hearts in Phil. 4:6-7:

Philippians 4:6-7 NIV
6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.
7 And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

This ^^

One's focus, attitudes, beliefs form the core of what the bible refers to as "the heart". It applies to many things, not just interpersonal relationships among people.

Reactions: Allen1901
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Im_A

Legend
May 10, 2004
✟35,359.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Agreed, but I don't think its wise to put total trust into somebody that you've just met. For me, trust, and putting it all on the line, come with time. Its something that somebody is going to have to earn...Not just members of the opposite sex, but of the same sex as well.
When one becomes so cautious...then they are the ones to be cautious over if you ask me.

Upvote 0

Miles

Student of Life
Mar 6, 2005
USA
✟381,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
There's something to be said for guarding one's heart. Those that don't guard their hearts are at a greater risk for falling prey to propaganda, cults, Nigerian scams, individuals who just want to use them for money/sex/power etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: mina
Upvote 0

Im_A

Legend
May 10, 2004
✟35,359.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
In Relationship
There's something to be said for guarding one's heart. Those that don't guard their hearts are at a greater risk for being preyed upon by propaganda, advertisements, cults, Nigerian scams, individuals who just want to use them for money/sex/power etc.
I didn't know making wise choices is the same as 'guarding one's heart'...care to explain more because in my opinion:
Staying from financial scams is not a sign of guarding one's heart to me, it is making a wise financial choice. The same thing can be said by a member of a religion that is anti-yours...choose any ole cult to use an example. Propaganda...we're all byproducts of propaganda. Those of us that live in the democratic west, are byproducts of the propaganda that we consider 'truth' or 'the norm'. American democracy is propaganda. The American Military War Machine is propaganda. The propaganda of modern/post-modern culture. The list goes on and on.

So if we're talking about the same thing...I suppose its all a matter debating semantics I suppose.

Upvote 0

Miles

Student of Life
Mar 6, 2005
USA
✟381,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I didn't know making wise choices is the same as 'guarding one's heart'...care to explain more because in my opinion:
Staying from financial scams is not a sign of guarding one's heart to me, it is making a wise financial choice. The same thing can be said by a member of a religion that is anti-yours...choose any ole cult to use an example. Propaganda...we're all byproducts of propaganda. Those of us that live in the democratic west, are byproducts of the propaganda that we consider 'truth' or 'the norm'. American democracy is propaganda. The American Military War Machine is propaganda. The propaganda of modern/post-modern culture. The list goes on and on.

So if we're talking about the same thing...I suppose its all a matter debating semantics I suppose.

Scams often rely on appeals to one's emotions, as in a confidence trick.

I would say that guarding the heart is helpful when trying to make wise decisions, but this is just one way in which an individual can act wisely. It's not a good idea to rely on emotions alone. Emotions aren't inherently bad, but they're easily manipulated.

I agree that we shouldn't stop trusting, or to stop taking risks, but that's not what I think it means to guard one's heart. It's more of a warning to avoid being taken advantage of.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Wren

Dec 19, 2006
PNW
✟33,144.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
There's something to be said for guarding one's heart. Those that don't guard their hearts are at a greater risk for falling prey to propaganda, cults, Nigerian scams, individuals who just want to use them for money/sex/power etc.

Hmmm. I guess that's not what I thought of with "guarding your heart." I'm very good at seeing propaganda for what it is (including US government propaganda) and Nigerian scams definitely would be something I'd spot a mile away (and have recently enough had a family friend show me a check to find out if it was a scam or not-it was). Heck, I don't even like ASPCA ads because I think they're emotionally manipulative in order to get money.

My understanding, and it's strictly limited to CF, was that guarding your heart was just about relationships (and potential relationships) with members of the opposite sex. When I say that I'm not good at guarding my heart, I mean that I don't believe in being friends first to be absolutely sure that I want to date the person or not. If I want to date the person, I think about it and then date (or not date) the person. I don't act reserved with members of the opposite sex and keep them at a distance, so that I don't become emotionally invested too early. If I like them, I show it. To do otherwise feels like game playing to me or just being fearful. I also don't date just any boy/man that smiles at me, nor am I led around by my emotions and make use of my brain. Maybe I do guard my heart then. Who knows, I guess I don't really understand this whole concept. I think I'll just avoid the phrase altogether in the future.

Last edited:
Upvote 0