Growing up in a 'bi-religious' household- how do you choose?

SweetPeach

"From tiny experiences we build cathedrals."
Dec 9, 2016
Georgia
✟18,048.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I'm the daughter of a Jewish father and a Christian mother, grew up celebrating both religion's holidays while regularly attending Sunday School at the local synagogue and going to a Christian girls camp in the summer. Needless to say, all of these experiences were very dear and important to me during my formative years and continue to be something I look back fondly on now! But the niggling thought keeps coming back to me, that religion is not something I can take two helpings of for my own comfort and enjoyment. At the same time, God is very important to me too and I don't want to turn my back on religion as a whole because of inner indecisiveness.. it's important to mention this isn't a post about 'who's right' in terms of faiths, but rather how to come from such a split background and make a confident and informed choice (also recognizing that maybe choice is the wrong word to use).

Has anyone else tackled this issue in their life? What is the best way to approach it; where can I start?

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
Mormon
My 2 cents:
You have heritage in both faiths. That is a great thing, and you never have to forsake that. Even if you find yourself believing one set of theology to be True and the other not (cause there are conflicts between them), that doesn't mean you have to forget your heritage in the other faith. You also can still honor and admire the good in the other faith.

Upvote 0

Neatz

Dec 8, 2016
United States of America
✟12,885.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I'm the daughter of a Jewish father and a Christian mother, grew up celebrating both religion's holidays while regularly attending Sunday School at the local synagogue and going to a Christian girls camp in the summer. Needless to say, all of these experiences were very dear and important to me during my formative years and continue to be something I look back fondly on now! But the niggling thought keeps coming back to me, that religion is not something I can take two helpings of for my own comfort and enjoyment. At the same time, God is very important to me too and I don't want to turn my back on religion as a whole because of inner indecisiveness.. it's important to mention this isn't a post about 'who's right' in terms of faiths, but rather how to come from such a split background and make a confident and informed choice (also recognizing that maybe choice is the wrong word to use).

Has anyone else tackled this issue in their life? What is the best way to approach it; where can I start?
Hi. :) Try not to let religion get in the way of your coming into a personal relationship with your God and Savior. When all is said and done, it's not about what we can do to reach God, it's about who He IS and what HE did for us by His great love and grace.

Jesus was born and raised in the Jewish faith, and He didn't come to abolish the (Jewish) law and prophets, but to FULFILL them. And He did.

He came to go to the cross to pay our sin debt and take upon Himself the wrath of God in our place, in fulfillment of the Scriptures.
He rose from the grave granting the assurance that the penalty was paid in full and God is satisfied, Mercy and Justice met at the cross, the Temple curtain tore from top to bottom, and the way into the throne of grace, the Holy of Holies, is open to all, Jew and Gentile, by way of believing, through faith in The Lord Jesus Christ.

It is, (HE is) the gift of God, and He said let whosoever will, come and 'drink' of the fountain of the water of life. We are loved with an everlasting love, He said whoever comes to Him (by faith) He will not cast out, and His gift is eternal life with Him in His Kingdom, with love and joy and peace.

You can have that gift now and embark on a personal relationship with God today, no fear or condemnation or worries about 'which religion', as you will be an eternal daughter of the true and living God, no one could ever snatch you out of His hand, and you can never be separated from His love.
God bless you, in Jesus' name, friend and sister. Amen. :)

Upvote 0

crossnote

Berean
Site Supporter
May 16, 2010
So. Cal.
✟250,751.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My adopted dad was atheist, my mom never spoke a word about religion, my best friends and only religious influence we're Jewish...I grew up a mess faith wise until Jesus had mercy, reached down and opened my eyes to to the true reason of His death and resurrection (rescue from sin, death and self).
My greatest struggle was swallowing the fact that God had a Son.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Neatz

Dec 8, 2016
United States of America
✟12,885.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
My adopted dad was atheist, my mom never spoke a word about religion, my best friends and only religious influence we're Jewish...I grew up a mess faith wise until Jesus had mercy, reached down and opened my eyes to to the true reason of His death and resurrection.
Well praise the Lord and God bless you, brother.
And Happy Birthday!

Upvote 0

SweetPeach

Dec 9, 2016
Georgia
✟18,048.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
My 2 cents:
You have heritage in both faiths. That is a great thing, and you never have to forsake that. Even if you find yourself believing one set of theology to be True and the other not (cause there are conflicts between them), that doesn't mean you have to forget your heritage in the other faith. You also can still honor and admire the good in the other faith.

Thank you for this response! It was overwhelmingly positive and definitely quieted some of my worries. One of the fears I've had is that I would have to 'abandon' one half of my upbringing, but you are absolutely right that it does not mean I can't honor the other, no matter what I choose.

Have you heard of Messianic Judasim? You'll get the best of both worlds there!

I haven't heard of that before, no! But I'll be sure to do some research on it now that you've brought it up :relaxed:

Upvote 0

SweetPeach

Dec 9, 2016
Georgia
✟18,048.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
My adopted dad was atheist, my mom never spoke a word about religion, my best friends and only religious influence we're Jewish...I grew up a mess faith wise until Jesus had mercy, reached down and opened my eyes to to the true reason of His death and resurrection (rescue from sin, death and self).

Hopefully I may have that 'epiphany' moment as well soon.. and happy birthday, like Neatz said!! :partypooper:

Upvote 0

crossnote

Berean
Site Supporter
May 16, 2010
So. Cal.
✟250,751.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Have you heard of Messianic Judasim? You'll get the best of both worlds there!
Really and truly. There should be no tension between the Jewish faith and the Christian faith....after all, all the apostles and Jesus was Jewish and at it's core, the Christian faith is truly Jewish!...Completed Jewishness if you will :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

crossnote

Berean
Site Supporter
May 16, 2010
So. Cal.
✟250,751.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think remarks like “Completed Jews” might contribute something to the tension between Christianity and Judaism.
Why? Jews who have come to know Yeshua love the term. Maybe Rabbinical Judaism has a problem with it, but then again they have a problem with Yeshua being their Messiah. :sigh:

Upvote 0

Aryeh Jay

Gone and hopefully forgotten.
Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟520,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Why? Jews who have come to know Yeshua love the term. Maybe Rabbinical Judaism has a problem with it, but then again they have a problem with Yeshua being their Messiah. :sigh:

Oh goodness no. Rabbinic Jews are just fine with others telling us how inferior we are and what we should believe.

Upvote 0

crossnote

Berean
Site Supporter
May 16, 2010
So. Cal.
✟250,751.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Oh goodness no. Rabbinic Jews are just fine with others telling us how inferior we are and what we should believe.
oh, kinda like hinting to me what to believe by saying that the term '“Completed Jews” might contribute something to the tension between Christianity and Judaism.' ? Got it.

• Winner
Reactions: Aryeh Jay
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,422.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single

Hello,

I would also support looking into Messianic Judaism. According to Acts 6:13, Stephen was falsely accused of teaching Jews against God's law and according to Acts 21:20-24, Paul was going to take steps at the direction of James to disprove false rumors that he was teaching Jews against obeying God's law and to show that he continued to live in obedience to it. So if no one in leadership was teaching Jews against obeying God's law, then that means that for roughly the first 7-15 years after Messiah's ascension up until the inclusion of Gentiles in Acts 10, all Christians were Torah observant Jews, and this is how I think Christianity has always been meant to be followed, but with the inclusion of Gentiles.

Messiah did not come to start a new religion, but was born a Jew, raised a Jew, became a Jewish rabbi, had Jewish disciples, fulfilled Jewish prophecy, is the Jewish Messiah, will return as the Lion of Judah, and came to bring fullness to Judaism. There originally was no distinction between Judaism and Christianity, but over time they became more distinct, with Jews following the Torah, but not their Messiah, with Christians following the Messiah, but not the Torah, and with both only following half the truth. The Torah is the way (Jeremiah 6:16-19, Psalms 119:1), the truth (Psalms 119:142), and the life (Deuteronomy 30:15-20, Matthew 19:17, Proverbs 13:14), Messiah is the way, the truth, and the life (John 14:6), the Torah is God's Word, and Messiah is God's Word made flesh. Messiah set a perfect example of how to walk in obedience to the Torah and we are told to follow his example (1 Peter 2:21-22) and to walk in the same way that he walked (1 John 2:3-6).

If you have any questions, I would be happy to answer them. I recommend many of the articles and studies found at this site, especially the one on Finding the Messiah in the Torah:

Genesis- Messianic audio Torah teaching by Rabbi Stan Farr

We also have excellent studies about the Sabbath, the Feasts, the Temple, the People of God, and on Matthew, Romans, and Galatians.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Other scholars got to me before you did!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

SweetPeach, while I can't speak as a person of Jewish ethnicity, I can say that there are Jewish people who have been persuaded to see Jesus as the fulfillment of the Torah, the Prophets, and the Writings rather than as a representative of a purely "other" religion. With this view, to gain Christian faith doesn't mean you have to jettison Judaism in full, especially since Christianity is an understanding about God which emerges out of the Torah, the Prophets, and the Writings.

By the way, have you had the opportunity to read the Torah, Prophets and Writings in full? If not, that would be a good place to start ...

Peace,
2PhiloVoid

Upvote 0

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
.. it's important to mention this isn't a post about 'who's right' in terms of faiths, but rather how to come from such a split background and make a confident and informed choice (also recognizing that maybe choice is the wrong word to use).

Stop focusing on religion and focus on God. God is real and alive and loves you. He is not a collection of traditions or even a belief system. In other words, He is not a religion. He is your creator who desires what is best for you, and is responsible for every Good thing you have (and not responsible for anything evil). Seek to know God through study and talking to him (sometimes known as prayer). Ask him to make sure you find the truth about him.

Reactions: Neatz
Upvote 0

Neatz

Dec 8, 2016
United States of America
✟12,885.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Stop focusing on religion and focus on God. God is real and alive and loves you. He is not a collection of traditions or even a belief system. In other words, He is not a religion. He is your creator who desires what is best for you, and is responsible for every Good thing you have (and not responsible for anything evil). Seek to know God through study and talking to him (sometimes known as prayer). Ask him to make sure you find the truth about him.
Exactly. Well said!!!

I found it just a bit curious that, while the OPer raises an interesting question, the posts that seemed to bring the most positive responses tended to lean towards the 'what must I do?' viewpoint, but those that point to 'what Jesus has done' seem overlooked. (a bit, maybe? but I apologize if I'm wrong)

Since Jesus, (but really, always), the message isn't 'Look into the Torah, find out about feasts and temples and religionism' but it's about God the Father saying come to Jesus, ... If you don't have the Son, you have neither the Father Nor the Son, iow, you don't have God.

It's about Jesus saying, 'Come to me...' and He receives us, whoever comes to Him by faith He will not cast out, and whoever receives HIM, they are the children of God.

Man's tendency often seems to be 'what religion should I join?' , but the answer Jesus gave to the question, 'What must we do to work the works of God?' is 'This is the work of God...That you believe on Him who He has sent.' ... Jesus.

Sometimes we all need a refresher into the foundation, a reminder, if you will, and the book of Galatians, especially chapters 1 and 2, can be a good place.

Another good post, Greg J.
I hope the OP SweetPeach checked it out, it should be a good encouragement to her. :oldthumbsup:

Upvote 0