Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
My daughter said she was going to the store and wanted me to email her a grocery list. So I did. I listed alternatives in case they were out of some items. When she stopped by she had only 32 dollars worth of groceries for me. They were out of almost everything! She doesn't like going out because she's sure that she and her family will catch the virus.

When are the Republicans and Democrats going to solve some of these issues?

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My daughter said she was going to the store and wanted me to email her a grocery list. So I did. I listed alternatives in case they were out of some items. When she stopped by she had only 32 dollars worth of groceries for me. They were out of almost everything! She doesn't like going out because she's sure that she and her family will catch the virus.

The government can't stop people being selfish.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,158,778.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Good question! Governors have stepped up to lead, since there is not enough leadership from the federal level. Governors cannot solve all problems as well as the federal government could of course, such as managing distribution of new ventilators, but they can do a very significant amount, and they have stepped up into the leadership vacuum, such as for instance this way:
Governors step up to lead the U.S.

But I think for groceries to have more stock will need better reassurance, much better, on the national level, that the resupply that is always happening is something people can count on and they don't need to buy 3 months of supplies in one day.

Also, it would probably be best for Governors to suggest to groceries to limit number of items that can be taken of one kind, such as key things like cereal, frozen foods, toilet paper, disinfectants, soap, and such, to prevent those panic overbuying, and also stop the individuals that are hoarding in order to sell at 10x or 20x times the price, as a racket.

Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,404,763.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

Look to Lord Jesus.He is the only one who can help in times like these. And live one day at a time thanking God for each new day.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
It’s been like that for a little over a week here. I keep hoping people will decide they have “enough” and stop stocking up.

Smaller local markets may have better stock. Or it’s worth asking when the trucks come in if you can be there first thing in the morning (if the restock overnight). One of the cashiers suggested I order through some kind of online cart that wasn’t actually the store’s online ordering but “shopped” there.

I wish I had better suggestions. I spent almost two days last week visiting MANY stores, getting 1-2 items at each, and finally had most of what I needed (everything except bread and pasta but found flour at one store).

I hope Amazon will deliver it’s regular subscriptions. I got mine this month but they said they are prioritizing necessities from here out. I have a number of grocery, household, and pet items on subscription from there. I don’t know which they consider essential.

Upvote 0

Phil W

Apr 15, 2019
Mesa, Az
✟67,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I think that the hoarders have had their panic alleviated over the last few day, because I went to the Fry's store this morning and got everything I needed.
Hoarders should face fines.

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Friday before last, Trump had a meeting with the major grocery firms where they committed to keeping their stores open ... and their shelves stocked.

Earlier along, the public had been led to believe that they might be stuck in their homes for, perhaps, 3 months. At that point, stores of vital home goods disappeared from store shelves. Now that we know that "shelter at home" provides for trips to the grocery, ... shelves are slowly refilling. Some stores are also restricting purchases so that they won't run out of stock (i.e. one loaf of bread, one jug of water, one package of ground beef, etc.)

I am 60 years old, ... and I have never seen store shelves stripped the way they were a week ago. No bread, no water, no meat, etc.

This weekend, my wife and I were able to find everything we were looking for ... in some form, though we had to visit two or three stores to do so.

P. S. Some stores do better at staying stocked than others. For instance, in our (Midwest) area, ... Meijers does better than WalMart.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Oh if I had to go 3 months we’d be in trouble.

I buy most things for 2-3 weeks (less for fresh things that go bad). So I’m good for a few weeks, though we would have to be creative and do some substituting.

I wouldn’t actually starve though. We get a half dozen or more fresh eggs every day, at least.

Upvote 0

rebornfree

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
May 5, 2007
NW England
✟793,557.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Divorced
We've had panic buying in the UK too and now some supermarkets are limiting certain products to 3 each. They are also opening at special times for over-70s, vulnerable people and NHS workers. One critical care nurse came off a long shift and found the shelves empty of the produce she needed. She recorded a plea for people to stop panic buying and it seems to have raised awareness.

Upvote 0

Richard T

Mar 25, 2018
traveling Asia
✟69,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
If your family is concerned about catching COV-19, have them wear a mask if one is available. I know the USA discourages that because they need them for the hospitals but even a homemade mask offers some protection. Notice how all the Asians have them and masks are part of the reason why transmissions in most of Asia are down.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Friday before last, Trump had a meeting with the major grocery firms where they committed to keeping their stores open ... and their shelves stocked.

Earlier along, the public had been led to believe that they might be stuck in their homes for, perhaps, 3 months. At that point, stores of vital home goods disappeared from store shelves. Now that we know that "shelter at home" provides for trips to the grocery, ... shelves are slowly refilling. Some stores are also restricting purchases so that they won't run out of stock (i.e. one loaf of bread, one jug of water, one package of ground beef, etc.)

I am 60 years old, ... and I have never seen store shelves stripped the way they were a week ago. No bread, no water, no meat, etc.

This weekend, my wife and I were able to find everything we were looking for ... in some form, though we had to visit two or three stores to do so.

P. S. Some stores do better at staying stocked than others. For instance, in our (Midwest) area, ... Meijers does better than WalMart.

Very interesting. I'm in my seventies, so my daughter took my list from her email. She went to Meijers and could barely find anything on my list. Seriously --- $32.00 doesn't buy much. I intended to spend at least $100.

• Prayers
Reactions: rebornfree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I normally buy a week's worth at a time. $32.00 doesn't cover a week. I can't ask my daughter to go more than once a week. If she and her family get seriously ill, I'll be close to devastation.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Look to Lord Jesus.He is the only one who can help in times like these. And live one day at a time thanking God for each new day.

Thank you. I look to Him every day. And I thank God many times a day.

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I normally buy a week's worth at a time. $32.00 doesn't cover a week. I can't ask my daughter to go more than once a week. If she and her family get seriously ill, I'll be close to devastation.
It should get better.

Focus on your basic needs for now ...

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
It should get better.

Focus on your basic needs for now ...

That's what I was trying to do --- enough food for one week --- no extras, no cleaning supplies, no paper products, no pharmacy items.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I’m not sure how it would work but have you tried a grocery pickup service - like the ones you order from the store and drive up to pick them up? Most of the stores around here do it for free.

They normally pull from the shelves, so if they are out it will be no help. But maybe they are shifting how they do things right now. It’s usually a 1-2 day lead time here at Wal mart - linger now. So it might be of help?

Smaller markets if you have them might be the place to go. Supporting local businesses.

• Agree
Reactions: rebornfree
Upvote 0