Rosedale
✟165,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Has anyone experience great grief having a good friend leave the faith and watching them pursue this other life? All of a sudden the deep fellowship and talks about God you use to have, no longer is there?

Its so painful, its been a 1.5 years now, and it havent been as bad as before, but i still find myself in tears at times.

Call me Nic

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2017
✟481,735.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Has anyone experience great grief having a good friend leave the faith and watching them pursue this other life? All of a sudden the deep fellowship and talks about God you use to have, no longer is there?

Its so painful, its been a 1.5 years now, and it havent been as bad as before, but i still find myself in tears at times.
I haven't personally experienced that, but I sympathize with the pain that must bring. I hope that God brings that friend of yours back to the faith expediently.

• Friendly
Reactions: salt-n-light
Upvote 0

EzekielsWheels

Site Supporter
Oct 3, 2018
Southeast
Visit site
✟90,626.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Yes David laments about this in the Psalms but he was also betrayed by this friend. Psalms 55:13-14. They walked away from us because they were not one of us (1 John 2:19). I pray that if possible your friend returns to the faith.

• Useful
Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,132,868.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Yes, one of my best friends essentially tore his life up, as well as that of about 4 ex-wives, by having a roller-coaster of a ride between his faith and his skepticism (both up and down, but mostly it was down). I never could figure out how to help him..............................:|

Upvote 0

salt-n-light

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2017
Rosedale
✟165,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Yes David laments about this in the Psalms but he was also betrayed by this friend. Psalms 55:13-14. They walked away from us because they were not one of us (1 John 2:19). I pray that if possible your friend returns to the faith.

The Psalm was very helpful, I think if anyone understood how it feel to witness people that he love turn away, David knows. And 1 John 2:19 is a hard truth, a tough pill to swallow. Bless you.

Upvote 0

salt-n-light

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2017
Rosedale
✟165,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Yes, one of my best friends essentially tore his life up, as well as that of about 4 ex-wives, by having a roller-coaster of a ride between his faith and his skepticism (both up and down, but mostly it was down). I never could figure out how to help him..............................:|

That how I feel, I don't know how to help my friend either. As I'm reading the Word and watching sermons on Youtube, the most painful thing is the realization that I can't save him, this is a journey that have to be between him and God. I have to step back and let God be God.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,132,868.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That how I feel, I don't know how to help my friend either. As I'm reading the Word and watching sermons on Youtube, the most painful thing is the realization that I can't save him, this is a journey that have to be between him and God. I have to step back and let God be God.

Yes, it is painful, and I'm sorry to hear that you have to face this, but this is how these things go much of the time these days. :( So, pray for him when you think you can and just let him know that if he needs to talk, you're there if he needs to do so.

The other thing you need to do is brace and prepare yourself for the fact that he may become a slightly different person with a slight change in personality, as well as a lesser capacity to maintain a friendship. And as you've already wisely said, you "have to step back and let God be God."

Last edited:
  • Useful
Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Luke 15:11-32
You can pray and hope that he will see the light

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Has anyone experience great grief having a good friend leave the faith
Sorry can't help with that.

All I can do is ask are you still there friend?

You could be the only Active Christian influence in their life.

Upvote 0

justanote

Nov 14, 2018
Viroqua
✟8,154.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm so sorry that your friend has turned their back on their faith. I have experienced people in my life who have decided to go their own way and deny their faith. It's so hard to see someone choose to go down the wrong path. But don't lose heart! You can pray! Lift up your friend to God, believing that He is working behind the scenes. Also, you might ask God to lead you to another friend who you can share your faith with.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

salt-n-light

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2017
Rosedale
✟165,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
At one point, people thought that I had strayed. Really I needed to take a look at my faith from a few more angles. Though we may turn away from it, we are but creatures of the light, and so we shall return again.

Thank you that’s encouraging

Upvote 0