Feb 9, 2014
✟905,075.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Some people here think Greta Thunberg is a joke, or should be treated like such. I don’t get it. Why do some people here find her worthy of ridicule?

Because she talks about a world that affects what the majority of us take for granted. A lot of folks are supportive of things that don't affect them directly or indirectly. Conversely, it's why a lot of the world's problems exist. The world stood still after the Boston Bombings and yet that's a regular occurrence for many people around the world, but when it's on our doorstep and can't be ignored, people start taking note.

• Winner
Reactions: Cimorene
Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Is anyone expecting her to solve the problem by her lonesome?
I don't expect any of the protestors do have a solution. They are contributing to the problem by holding up traffic, so creating more pollution. They are also annoying the people that they need to persuade. Not that clever. Even if the world responds and makes grand statements about reducing CO2 emissions, who will enforce it? And how? Who will make China cut back their emissions? Not a 16 year old girl, that's for sure.

Upvote 0

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
I doubt many here are interested in your or my Buddhist philosophy - at least not in this thread. So lets focus on the topic. Climate change and the teen activist and leader, Greta Thunberg.

So is it that you are against activism demanding operationalising policy that addresses climate change?
No, the topic is not about "climate change", "activism" or "policy". It's about why some believe "Greta is a joke".

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,181,089.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Strange thing to say for someone who believes a backwoods itinerant carpenter changed the world.
Who happened to also be God. No comparison.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,300.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Some people here think Greta Thunberg is a joke, or should be treated like such. I don’t get it. Why do some people here find her worthy of ridicule?

I suppose it's because she's a child chastising adults for things she doesn't really understand.

Reactions: ananda
Upvote 0

Emmylouwho

Sep 5, 2019
New York
✟16,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Widowed
I suppose it's because she's a child chastising adults for things she doesn't really understand.
Sure. The truth hurts, no matter where it comes from. “Out of the mouths of babes”... who said that?

• Winner
Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,300.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Sure. The truth hurts, no matter where it comes from. “Out of the mouths of babes”... who said that?

I don't know...but they probably never had any kids.

She fundamentally doesn't seem to understand why use of fossil fuels only increases. She also doesn't seem to understand the point of protesting.

I agree that she's harmless though...people shouldn't make fun of her.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Strange thing to say for someone who believes a backwoods itinerant carpenter changed the world.
An itinerant carpenter who raised the dead, healed the sick, opened blind eyes and deaf ears - that is someone with real power to change lives. Oh, Jesus did not come to change the world. He came to offer people the opportunity to leave the world system and come into God's kingdom. The world is no different now than it was in Roman times. It just has better technology with which to self destruct.

• Agree
Reactions: Tigger45
Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
No, the topic is not about "climate change", "activism" or "policy". It's about why some believe "Greta is a joke".
No - its not - The topic is Greta Thunberg.
That you chose the negative path of abuse towards here was your choice.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Tinker Grey

Wanderer
Site Supporter
Feb 6, 2002
Erewhon
Visit site
✟932,333.00
Faith
Atheist
An itinerant carpenter who raised the dead, healed the sick, opened blind eyes and deaf ears - that is someone with real power to change lives. Oh, Jesus did not come to change the world. He came to offer people the opportunity to leave the world system and come into God's kingdom. The world is no different now than it was in Roman times. It just has better technology with which to self destruct.
That you believe this proves my point.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Thera

Sep 21, 2019
Montreal
✟52,709.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Her actions spoke louder than her words, for me.
Good article. All the more reason to leave science to the experts, and let the children enjoy their childhood. That some would entertain her as some sort of environmental messiah speaks volumes about the decline in the ability of many to engage in critical thinking.

Reactions: ananda
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
No - its not - The topic is Greta Thunberg.
That you chose the negative path of abuse towards here was your choice.
Re-read the first post. It asks "Some people here think Greta Thunberg is a joke ... Why do some people here find her worthy of ridicule?" It clearly focuses on the question of why some perceive her in a negative light. Point out hypocrisy is not abuse.

"By developing what habit, what conduct, what actions may man be correctly established in and arrive at the highest goal? ... giving up ... hypocrisy ..." Sn 2.9

Reactions: Thera
Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟432,811.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Good article. All the more reason to leave science to the experts, and let the children enjoy their childhood. That some would entertain her as some sort of environmental messiah speaks volumes about the decline in the ability of many to engage in critical thinking.
Its wrong to think that she's doing science. Basically she's just protesting for international action on climate change without even getting super specific on how that should work. She's reacting to strongly established science, and kind of shaming the world leaders who'd sit on their hands.

Good for her!

Upvote 0

Robban

-----------
Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2009
✟651,324.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Divorced
Its wrong to think that she's doing science. Basically she's just protesting for international action on climate change without even getting super specific on how that should work. She's reacting to strongly established science, and kind of shaming the world leaders who'd sit on their hands.

Good for her!
Taking care of the enviroment is everyones respnsebility.

Turning things around is not done in a coffee break.

Much has been done and is under progress, but it takes time.

If we are to avoid more laws being imposed and higher prices.

It is not so good an idea to block trafic in a city,
better to do something constructive.

Or why not,
"Fix yourself first before trying to fix others."

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟432,811.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Taking care of the enviroment is everyones respnsebility.

Turning things around is not done in a coffee break.

Much has been done and is under progress, but it takes time.

If we are to avoid more laws being imposed and higher prices.

It is not so good an idea to block trafic in a city,
better to do something constructive.

Or why not,
"Fix yourself first before trying to fix others."
Fixing your self is a neverending project, and no excuse for ignoring problems that are essentially collective in nature.

I think higher prices for some activities are inevitable, as many forms of pollution and environmental degradation currently have no cost associated with them them can get factored into the price of a product.

CO2 emissions are the current classic case. But in older days it was other things like toxic waste dumping. Today anywhere worth living enforces some kind of proper disposal, the cost of which gets added to the price of products produced there.... and rightly so.

Reactions: Zoii
Upvote 0

Robban

-----------
Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2009
✟651,324.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Divorced
Fixing your self is a neverending project, and no excuse for ignoring problems that are essentially collective in nature.

I think higher prices for some activities are inevitable, as many forms of pollution and environmental degradation currently have no cost associated with them them can get factored into the price of a product.

CO2 emissions are the current classic case. But in older days it was other things like toxic waste dumping. Today anywhere worth living enforces some kind of proper disposal, the cost of which gets added to the price of products produced there.... and rightly so.

I can go to the recycle station and get rid of what I want to get rid of, it costs me nothing.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.