WS
✟278,556.00
Country
Brazil
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I am surprised to discover that Gregorian chant is used for therapeutic purpose.
Dr Alfred Tomatis used Gregorian chant besides Mozart in his therapies. The following is excerpted from the book "The Power of Sound" by J Leeds.

"The active process of listening can be enhanced or refocused by auditory stimulation using musical and vocal sounds rich in high frequencies. This entails the use of filtered and enhanced audiotapes employing the music of Mozart and Gregorian chant. Additionally, Tomatis has invented a device known as the Electronic Ear. One of its functions, accomplished through the effect of electronic gates and filters, is to reestablish the right ear as the dominant ear of hearing."

_____
Tom

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,090,402.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
One of my sons had learning disabilities as a child. He participated in an experimental program, called, at the time, 'the Tomatis program,' during which he wore headphones during different times at school (it was a special program). Initially he listened to music with certain sounds filtered out (Tomatis' theory was that children with auditory learning disabilities needed to be trained to listen to high frequencies.) Then he listened to tapes of my voice with the high frequencies enhanced (and, at times, just the high frequencies of my voice.)

In third grade he went into a gifted program. He became involved in drama in school. He had a weekly radio show in high school. He was the director of his campus radio station. He now does stand up comedy as a hobby (well, he gets paid for it, but it's a hobby). Communication became one of his greatest strengths

He never listened to specially filtered chant, but he did listen to Mozart.

I believe strongly in Dr. Tomatis' work.

A few years ago, I read that the Tomatis Center had begun working with autism and Aspergers. Their theory was that both were connected with 'listening' and 'attending.' To an autistic child, a bee buzzing outside a window might sound like being surrounded and attacked by an entire hive. The child described in the article participated in a listening desensitization program that helped her to 'hear' (i.e. listen) to things as they really were--not as the threatening bombardment she was accustomed to. It was a tremendous success...

I'm not sure if they are still working with autism. At the time my son participated in their program (which came to his school) they were headquartered in Montreal. Our school was in NY.

Upvote 0

ranpleasant

Catholic
Jun 16, 2011
Dallas
✟15,623.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I would love to see Gregorian chants being use in Mass. At the happy clappy kumbaya nice Catholic church I attend there is a loud piano concert with Mass spread out between each song. Mass should end with Amen and thanks to Jesus Christ, instead it ends with claps of applause for the piano player.

Ran

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,090.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I would love to see Gregorian chants being use in Mass. At the happy clappy kumbaya nice Catholic church I attend there is a loud piano concert with Mass spread out between each song. Mass should end with Amen and thanks to Jesus Christ, instead it ends with claps of applause for the piano player.

Ran

I would love to hear Gregorian Chant more often, it has such a brilliant, ethereal feel to it. The parish we've been attending so far doesn't have anything "happy clappy" (thank God) but nevertheless Gregorian Chant would be cool to hear, is that something one would experience in a Latin Mass?

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,090,402.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
With all due respect, I think your answers are off topic. The topic is the therapeutic uses of Gregorian chant. Because Dr. Tomatis' research had such a beneficial effect on my son's life, I hope that the real topic--the therapeutic use of Gregorian Chant, isn't lost in the shuffle here.

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,090.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
With all due respect, I think your answers are off topic. The topic is the therapeutic uses of Gregorian chant. Because Dr. Tomatis' research had such a beneficial effect on my son's life, I hope that the real topic--the therapeutic use of Gregorian Chant, isn't lost in the shuffle here.

Alright then. Well, considering Gregorian Chant was designed to enable meditation, it doesn't surprise me that there are therapeutic applications for it. It's probably something that's underutilized.

Upvote 0