• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Greetings

Discussion in 'The Ancient Way - Eastern Orthodox' started by xristos.anesti, Jul 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xristos.anesti

xristos.anesti Veteran

+209
    Atheist
    Single
    I was wondering about something.

You will notice that Nestoj - will greet you with words:

God helps

That is direct translation of Serbian Orthodox salute:

Помаже Бог

That is - a person would come up, walk up or whatever else and greet another person (or a group) with these words. The proper replay is:

Бог ти помог'о (Бог ти помогао)

Which directly translated means :

God help you

Now, I was wondering how do other Orthodox salute others and whether you have some nice and catchy salutes - if not I guess we will let you use this one ;)

(Of course, we also use Christ is risen! - In truth He is risen! or Христос воскресе - Ваистину воскресе! and other greetings and replies when the time is proper and right).

Thanks a bunch.

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. RobNJ

RobNJ So Long, And Thanks For All The Fish!

+3,255
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    There's the one for the rest of the year (not during Pascha)

"Glory to Jesus Christ"

"Glory Forever"

3. Dorothea

Dorothea One of God's handmaidens

+2,325
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Divorced
    US-Others
    How about "Christ is in our midst." And answer with "Indeed He is." ??

4. nestoj

nestoj Senior Member

+265
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    We use that one when there is more formal (and larger in numbers of people) gathering - like a slava (especially on slava), someone going to serve the army, wedding...

"God helps" is used when approaching anyone - like hello in English or ola in Spanish...

nestoj
    God helps

5. SeraphimSarov

SeraphimSarov Пресвятая Богородица, спаси нас...

+560
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Celibate
    The one we use during "normal time" (I don't know if that term is used in Orthodoxy, forgive me) is, "Christ is in our midst!" to which we respond, "He is and ever shall be!"

6. Monica child of God 1

Monica child of God 1 strives to live eschatologically

+670
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    I wish "God save you" had never left common English use. It is just so theologically correct :)

M.

7. ma2000

ma2000 Veteran

+159
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    Doamne ajuta!

8. Dorothea

Dorothea One of God's handmaidens

+2,325
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Divorced
    US-Others
    I see. That's really neat. I like that.

9. Shubunkin

Shubunkin Antiochian Orthodox Christian

+593
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    All very interesting. :)

Hey, I voted for you for a mod position. ;)

10. ma2000

ma2000 Veteran

+159
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    I probably missed something, but where can people vote for mods?

11. nikolayalexandroff

nikolayalexandroff Senior Member

+20
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    In Russian - nearly as well in Serbian:
    Бог в помощь! - May God help you!
    Спаси Бог! (Спаси Христос!) - God save you!

12. nestoj

nestoj Senior Member

+265
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    What this means ma (forgive me)?

13. nestoj

nestoj Senior Member

+265
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    Who’s running for mod? And where (and can I at all) do we vote for him?

nestoj
    God helps

14. ma2000

ma2000 Veteran

+159
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    "Doamne, ajuta" means God, help / May God help you / God bless / God, help us
    We use it also as a greeting, just like in Serbian :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.