Greetings from the rolling hills of England!

Declan Graves

Jan 19, 2020
Lincolnshire
✟15,374.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Greetings everybody,

It's lovely to meet you.

My name is Declan. I was an atheist for most of my life (until late 2018). God gave me a sign when I needed it the most and I haven't looked back since then. I have recognised that it is much harder being a Christian than originally thought - both personally and socially. As a young Christian, 17 years old, it's hard not to be submerged in the sinful cultures of college and angsty friendships. I have lost many friends due to my faith, but I'm willing to put God above all, even if it leads to me being lonely from time to time.

I quite enjoy politics. Although, living in the United Kingdom, I think I've heard about enough politics to last me many life times... Brexit this, National Health Service that. These are very divisive times, which is why it is critical to look up to the Lord for guidance. I also enjoy reading and discussing philosophy. I have one dog, Milo; very grey and old. He's lovely though. I also have a rather young black and white cat called Pixie. I love her to pieces. She's gotten me through some rather tough times. Very therapeutic.

Right now I'm just re-doing my GCSEs in college, but this September I am hoping to study politics, religious studies and law.

I hope I can engage meaningfully here and form some lasting bonds with you all!

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My name is Declan. I was an atheist for most of my life (until late 2018). God gave me a sign when I needed it the most and I haven't looked back since then. I have recognised that it is much harder being a Christian than originally thought - both personally and socially. As a young Christian, 17 years old, it's hard not to be submerged in the sinful cultures of college and angsty friendships. I have lost many friends due to my faith, but I'm willing to put God above all, even if it leads to me being lonely from time to time.

Consider that Jesus made some enemies, but he attracted a lot of people to make up for the ones that He repelled. So perhaps your demeanor is not what you want it to be?

Reactions: Deade
Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Greetings everybody,

It's lovely to meet you.

I quite enjoy politics. Although, living in the United Kingdom, I think I've heard about enough politics to last me many life times... Brexit this, National Health Service that. These are very divisive times, which is why it is critical to look up to the Lord for guidance. I also enjoy reading and discussing philosophy. I have one dog, Milo; very grey and old. He's lovely though. I also have a rather young black and white cat called Pixie. I love her to pieces. She's gotten me through some rather tough times. Very therapeutic.

Right now I'm just re-doing my GCSEs in college, but this September I am hoping to study politics, religious studies and law.

Welcome Declan. I lived near the Cotswalds for a time and it was the best year of my childhood. I went back briefly in 2016; it's still a beautiful place.

You will find that the Christian life is not just difficult, it is impossible - for us. But we do not have to try to be Christian. We have the Lord Jesus to be our life, if we will allow Him to. We do pay a price for making a stand for Christ, but it is more than worth it. What the world calls friendship is shallow and selfish. Lord Jesus has befriended you. You can choose to make Him your friend. A friend of the Creator of the universe? Yes. It is almost too good to believe, but it is true.

Upvote 0

Unofficial Reverand Alex

Pray in silence...God speaks softly
Site Supporter
Dec 22, 2017
The Mystical Lands of Rural Indiana
Visit site
✟526,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
These are very divisive times, which is why it is critical to look up to the Lord for guidance
The same is true in America, and from what I can glean from the international media, most of the world is in divisive times. We need a unifier like an always-present, all-loving God to get us through.

What's a GCSE?

And loneliness can certainly come with the territory; some great Christians (such as Anthony of the Desert & St. Benedict) were very committed to removing all obstacles to God. Personally, I've been blessed with friends of differing religious beliefs (mainly atheists, agnostics, and Protestant Christians) who still respect mine, so I really haven't had to worry about losing friends to my faith. However, when it comes to dating I've preemptively turned down many opportunities with girls who aren't strong Catholic Christians, because as badly as I want a girlfriend, I know my faith is worth infinitely more. Glad to hear that you're doing the Christian thing well. And if you need a little bit of encouragement from St. James...

"Consider it pure joy, my brothers & sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance." --James 1
I accidentally memorized those verses, as I wrote them on the front of my thing that holds my papers for college. I had to keep reading that verse as I was beginning to become religious in my first semester, while God was leading me through a dramatic major change.

And finally, thanks for sharing your nice story, and we could really use a strong peaceful Christian to help us along on these forums! May God continue to bless us all!:pray:

Upvote 0

mnorian

Oldbie--Eternal Optimist
In Memory Of
Mar 9, 2013
✟980,332.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Greetings everybody,

It's lovely to meet you.

Hi Declan;
welcome to CF; May the Lord Jesus guide you here as well as in the world; and may you find friends and what ever you need from the Lord here.

I do have a question for you; do you like music--Praise & Worship music?

Well we have a new forum here at CF just for P&W music and at the top is a directory of other Christian music threads around CF; come and take a look!:wave:

Praise and Worship Music

images

To The

238348_da04309d434d67254a1115a692df42c4.jpeg

Upvote 0

Monksailor

Adopted child of God.
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2017
Port town on west (tan sands) shore line of MI
Visit site
✟187,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Welcome Declan, To the site and to the family of God. I am an atheist turned agnostic turned Christian. I was a babe in Christ back in the mid 70's, born again in '75. In my opinion, this is a much better site than that one out of London, WOR__Y. I was a regular for a few months there 5-10 yrs ago. The mods were very, very lenient and biased towards a certain group pushing particular a agenda, trolling, and just stonewalling and "team-tag" harassing people over this issue. If you are familiar with that site, rest assured this site is much more fair and unbiased as far as its mods go. As always, there will those agenda pushers but learn well and utilize this site's operating and "how to behave" and "reporting" procedures and you will do well here, I hope.

As a brother please allow me to share something it took me several years in church family to painfully realize. Maybe you are already aware but just in case. This could save you much disillusionment and discouragement as you grow in the Lord. Christians are NOT perfect and may never be till they are in heaven. When we are born again we are babes needing to grow and develop into emulating the qualities and behavior of our Lord and Savior, Jesus the Christ. All Christians are on this quest and as far as I understand God's Word we will never "arrive" at perfection till we are in heaven. That being said, as much as it is desired, needed, and designed to be by our Creator the fact is that practically NO community or even Christian community, virtual or real can deemed a safe haven. We mostly all strive to make it such but the ONLY ONE who you can trust to NEVER leave or forsake you is the Lord, the triune God. Base your security and countenance upon that fact and learn and remember what God says about the condition of the human heart and having trust in man. The ego flaunting/social pecking order, politics, ethnocentrism, and other social behaviors found outside the church and frowned upon by God in His Word are also sadly found in Christian community, but hopefully at a lesser extent, but rest assured they are there and as we are counseled in God's Word, one needs to guard their heart wherever they are.

I am wordy. I apologize. The number of posts/comments I have made would be about 100 times more if mine were the size of the average but I make fewer by number but do try to put more of myself and light unto our Lord in what I do post.

Again, WELCOME, may the Lord bless your time here.

PS: I love many British (BBC) and just UK and beyond productions including MI-5, Shetland, DCI Banks, Father Brown, Hinterland, Miss Fisher's Mysteries, and more.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums