• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Greenland Temperature soars 40F above normal, and...

Discussion in 'Physical & Life Sciences' started by Halbhh, Jun 18, 2019.

1. Halbhh

Halbhh Everything You say is Life to me Supporter

+4,554
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    I just looked up the June map for the Globe for temperature anomaly (departure from average for June and location).
    Note that the grey is just non-reported, so those would often be about the same color as nearby reported areas. For instance, Northern Siberia would be mostly in the red.

(after page loads, you can click on map at bottom for a larger image)
    Global Temperature and Precipitation Maps | Temperature, Precipitation, and Drought | National Centers for Environmental Information (NCEI)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  2. Halbhh

+4,554
    United States
    Christian
    Married
  3. klutedavid

klutedavid Well-Known Member

+2,462
    Non-Denom
    Single
    The paragraph below from your link.

Melting in Greenland through the end of spring has been significantly higher than the 1981 to 2010 average, with several areas exceeding 10 days of additional melt above the average, and a few regions with more than 20 days. Only the southernmost tip of the island and a region along the southwestern side of the ice sheet are below the average to date.

This is becoming a major concern.

4. Kaon

Kaon Well-Known Member

+1,472
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Celibate
    Humans do not understand how their iniquity disrupts the physical world around us. We run toward degeneracy and call it progress.

You can call this global warming created by humans (anthropogenic), but it isn't. I'm not surprised Christians don't know what this is either; the effects of the object of the 4th Trump.

I know most everyone has drank the AGW kool-aid because of social and psychological pressures. Oh well, like always humans will buy into what gets them to their demise, trusting the very people that exploit them. We never learn, despite how much "math, science and technology" we develop.

5. Kaon

Kaon Well-Known Member

+1,472
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Celibate
    You can't reverse it because it isn't man-made, and it isn't controlled or influenced by man. That is why the joke is on us when we are told to throw money at the situation: Mammon himself can't stop what is happening.

But, what is happening is part of what happens in all earth paradigm shifts. You don't have to wait for academia to tell you what you are seeing; history has left all of the clues we need. 2

6. SkyWriting

SkyWriting The Librarian Supporter

+5,380
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
    Good. Maybe now I'll visit.

7. Halbhh

+4,554
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Siberia, land of amazing mosquitoes?

8. eclipsenow

eclipsenow God cares about his creation as well as us.

+514
    Australia
    Anglican
    Married
    Yes, it used to be green. Nature has had some pretty wild climate changes brought on by a variety of natural events, including long periods of excessive volcanism that increased the CO2 in the atmosphere and cooked the planet. Indeed, many of the big ELE's of the past (Extinction Level Events) happened as a result of natural super greenhouse events. AND these occurred over much longer periods of time, but in some of them life couldn't adapt fast enough because they were so extreme. Now? We're heating the planet 10 times faster than some of these natural cycles did and we've locked many ecosystems behind massive agricultural barriers. Some natural parks are trapped in a sea of farms. The trees and animals can't slowly move and adapt over centuries, because they're locked in, and they don't have centuries.

9. Ophiolite

Ophiolite Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape

+4,916
    United Kingdom
    Agnostic
    Private
    As your link noted Greenland became ice bound about 3 million years ago. I have read that Greenland acquired its name (in Norse) primarily as a marketing exercise to get Icelanders to go there to settle - could just be a neat story.

10. Halbhh

+4,554
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    In related news, June looks to the hottest June ever for Global average temperature in the 140 years we feel we have a sufficiently accurate record of global temperatures.

Yesterday, Paris and many other cities set all-time record high.

11. Nithavela

Nithavela confused

+10,529
    Germany
    Other Religion
    Single
    We go extinct. :p

12. Ophiolite

+4,916
    United Kingdom
    Agnostic
    Private
    If we are doing it in order, I have a list.

13. Nithavela

Nithavela confused

+10,529
    Germany
    Other Religion
    Single
    I hope I'm relatively low, I want to watch the dying for a bit.

14. Ophiolite

+4,916
    United Kingdom
    Agnostic
    Private
    Ringside seat, with meal service!

15. Halbhh

+4,554
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    :p Zero chance of that unless God decides so. :)

16. Nithavela

Nithavela confused

+10,529
    Germany
    Other Religion
    Single
    [​IMG]

17. Halbhh

+4,554
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    There's a warning in Malachi chapter 4 that only if we love our children should we be allowed to continue, but generally humanity mostly loves its children, so therefore I think we are safe on that. Otherwise there will in some era (some think we are close) be an time of increasing troubles coming after people stop loving their neighbors due to increased lawlessness (including of the moral kind), according to prophesy, and a strong acceleration and supremacy of evil for a time, and that will lead to divine intervention, the overthrow of evil, and a general judgement of humankind, where those relying on the law of love -- Christ and his words -- will be rescued basically from those instead relying on evil tendencies like power lust and such, the former given a new better home, the later consigned to oblivion. It's good news for anyone that seeks to follow our best nature, and our best urges -- to love others and treat them as ourselves -- which becomes profoundly more possible when a person believes in Christ and is reborn. Christ Jesus is the one who said, "Love one another, as I have loved you", and told us to love our neighbors as ourselves, and do to others as we would have them do to us, even to those who harm us.

18. Nithavela

Nithavela confused

+10,529
    Germany
    Other Religion
    Single
    I'm sure this is all very soothing to your mind.

19. Halbhh

+4,554
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    So much more than that, I discovered to my surprise

20. eclipsenow

eclipsenow God cares about his creation as well as us.

+514
    Australia
    Anglican
    Married
    Except that the "Last Days" started after Christ rose again and ascended. Check Peter's sermon at Pentecost. So the description of the "Last Days" as a time when people will be lovers of themselves, rude, arrogant, etc... that's basically a description of the human race for the last 2000 years. All we know theologically on this subject is that 1/ The Lord is in control 2/ But he still hands us over to the consequences of our actions (See Romans 1 and 2 for more on that) 3/ Global warming will not wipe out the human race, as there have to be some people left for him to return to, so 4/ we are to love our neighbours (as you said.)
    So if there are no theological versions of Monopoly's "Get out of Jail Free" cards, then I say we have a Christian duty to care about climate change, just as we do about other issues of social injustice and oppression of the poor. It doesn't mean every churchgoer should become a passionate climate activist, as there are LOTS of different church and societal issues to be involved in. But it does mean, I think, that we should have a basic understanding of the issue and vote for people who are going to implement real solutions. And that's why I'm always talking about nuclear power, as we know it works.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List