Washington
✟17,804.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
Proxies are inaccurate and sometimes contradictory because there really aren't any that can tell us just exactly how hot it was at any one particular time in history.

They are a lot more detailed than that. I take it you've never sat in on an isotope geochemistry class, right? You can even identify which side of a long-gone mountain chain was the "rainshadow" from oxygen isotopes in some of the rock!

And, again, as noted earlier, it isn't the absolute temperature they are interested in. You should read more in climate studies...it's some interesting stuff.

And most gases that can be studied are trapped in ice which won't tell us the amount of "greenhouse gases" during the warmer periods. Tree rings are only good for 1-2K years at best, and you can't go back and determine what track ocean currents took or it's salinity, the Jetstream, so forth and so on.

There's speleothems. Paleoclimatology: Speleothems

It's all a crap shoot at best so until they figure out a way to determine all of these factors "accurately" (which I doubt will be anytime soon) doing something just to do something is useless (especially when you let all the worst offenders like China off scott free).

You do realize that America and western Europe are responsible for MOST of the excess CO2 in the atmosphere over the last 150 years, right? That while China is a bad actor they are pretty new to the party.

Also: what kind of morality is it to say "I am only going to behave as good as the worst actor I can currently find?"

Upvote 0