Canada
✟8,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Hello all,

I hope that you are doing well.

My stepfather, who is 80 years old, is from Greece and I count it a blessing to know him and to have him as a second father. He currently does not believe in Jesus but, he believes that God exists.

I bought him a Greek Bible a long time ago only to discover, a few days ago to my dismay, that it was not in the common, everyday Greek of today but in higher Greek, which he had difficulty in reading fluidly.

If there are any Greek believers who read this post or, believers who know of the Holy Scriptures (both old and new testaments) in common everyday Greek and that is an accurate, true and faithful translation for believers whose 1st language is Greek would you kindly recommend and direct me to where I can buy such a translation(s)?

Thank you and God bless.

(Also, I would look forward to communicating with an evangelist who is a native of Greece or, who is from Greece as to how to share the Gospel with my Stepfather. He comes from, of course a Greek mindset and culture; negative experiences with Greek priests, Greek mythology. Although he is eighty he is sharper than many young men of today. Not to mention, that I have a great love for him.)

Mar 9, 2017
Canada
✟8,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Reactions: gzt
Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I think the key is to search for the Bible in "modern Greek". The NT was originally written in kione Greek, which was the common, less-formal Greek of the day. But apparently it's not so common today. Here's a search that brought some good electronic resources.

bible in modern greek – Qwant Search

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,178,449.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Here is a link to where you can download a PDF of the Bible in Modern Greek

Η Αγία Γραφή

There is an online version of the Dimotiki Greek translation of the New Testament below.

www.synaxarion.gr - ΚΑΙΝΗ ΔΙΑΘΗΚΗ

I'll see if I can find a link to the book store in Thessaloniki which sells the Modern Greek translation. It actually has the Koine Greek and Modern Greek side by side as it is not permitted to have the Modern Greek only in Greece.

Found it
Εκκλησιαστικό Βιβλιοπωλείο - ΑΠΟΣΤΟΛΙΚΗ ΔΙΑΚΟΝΙΑ ΤΗΣ ΕΚΚΛΗΣΙΑΣ ΤΗΣ ΕΛΛΑΔΟΣ

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Here is a link to where you can download a PDF of the Bible in Modern Greek

Η Αγία Γραφή

There is an online version of the Dimotiki Greek translation of the New Testament below.

www.synaxarion.gr - ΚΑΙΝΗ ΔΙΑΘΗΚΗ

I'll see if I can find a link to the book store in Thessaloniki which sells the Modern Greek translation. It actually has the Koine Greek and Modern Greek side by side as it is not permitted to have the Modern Greek only in Greece.

Found it
Εκκλησιαστικό Βιβλιοπωλείο - ΑΠΟΣΤΟΛΙΚΗ ΔΙΑΚΟΝΙΑ ΤΗΣ ΕΚΚΛΗΣΙΑΣ ΤΗΣ ΕΛΛΑΔΟΣ
Why Modern Greek only is not allowed?

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,178,449.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I guess because the Koine Greek is the official text of the Church, plus it safeguards against obviously false translation as anyone who can read Modern Greek will still be able to make sense of the Koine.

• Informative
Reactions: Not David
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

buzuxi02

Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
It's illegal in Greece to tamper with the scriptures and give it modern translations. But all approved bibles have the original and a modern rendering side by side

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,463,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
It's illegal in Greece to tamper with the scriptures and give it modern translations. But all approved bibles have the original and a modern rendering side by side

that's interesting

Upvote 0

buzuxi02

Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Reactions: ArmyMatt