✟5,426.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Just wanting some advice.

So I'm 19 and ever since I was 10 I've always been money hungry. I've always wanted to be rich and live in a big house and have more money then I know what to do with. I feel like if I were super wealthy I could finally be someone. Like the past couple years I've been kind of miserable because I'm not wealthy yet I already had a business but I ran out of money so I had to stop. I don't necessarily want to be like this and I've prayed continuously for gods help but nothing happens. Truth be I'm at the point where I'd pretty much do anything to become wealthy and I'm kind of ashamed to feel like that.

mukk_in

Yankees Fan
Site Supporter
Oct 13, 2009
Vellore, India
✟664,706.00
Country
India
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate

So I'm 19 and ever since I was 10 I've always been money hungry. I've always wanted to be rich and live in a big house and have more money then I know what to do with. I feel like if I were super wealthy I could finally be someone. Like the past couple years I've been kind of miserable because I'm not wealthy yet I already had a business but I ran out of money so I had to stop. I don't necessarily want to be like this and I've prayed continuously for gods help but nothing happens. Truth be I'm at the point where I'd pretty much do anything to become wealthy and I'm kind of ashamed to feel like that.
Seek first the kingdom of God and His righteouness and He'll add all these things to you. Don't be eager to get rich because it'll not end well. God bless :).

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,720.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single

Read the Bible books from Matthew to John. The answer you're looking for about is in those books.

In there, you'll find that loving money is equivalent to hating God (Luke 16:13). Because the concept/nature of procurement of wealth is the opposite of God's nature.... God gave us everything for free. Everything used to be free in the beginning, before man sinned. It was man who put price tag on on everything including land.

Hypocrites in the Bible also tend to be very greedy and lovers of money. So greed is not just a sin, but also a symptom of other underlying behaviors that seek to defy God's nature like pride and arrogance.

You need to learn how to be content in any situation as Christian and one good way to learn is to live among the poor.

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Reactions: Someone5u8
Upvote 0

Rubiks

proud libtard
Aug 14, 2012
United States
✟137,866.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think its a good thing to find happiness and fulfillment in God rather than money. God will never leave you or forsake you. He is everlasting. He cares for you.

Don't take this to the extreme and become an ascetic, which the bible also condemns. Read the pastorals in the New Testament or Ecclesiastes in the Old Testament . God is the source of both the physical and the spiritual, but many tend to gravitate towards one or the other.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Hello and welcome to CF!

It can take some time to begin to change our very thoughts and ways of being, because the enemy has been successfully tempting us in that way for a very long time. Most people have such kinds of issues, but sometimes they are not so easy to identify. Love of money or continual listing tend to be easy things for us to see in ourselves. Pride is quite common too, but can be subtle and hide so that many, many people have this as a root sin but don't even recognize it. So it's something to be thankful for that you easily know what to deal with in yourself.

Two things I could suggest (aside from the obvious ones of praying, seeking God's help, and reading Scripture.

They both have to do with cultivating a sense of thankfulness for what you DO have.

The first is to try praying like this. Once a day, pray and thank God for everything as if whatever you thank God for will be the only things you will have tomorrow. Thank God for everything you do not wish to lose. That means not only material things - do you have a home? Transportation? Food, clothing? Whatever you use to access the Internet, your phone, any treasured possessions, anything you have that is beautiful, convenience items, heat, air conditioning, running clean water, nice towels, a toothbrush, games or movies or tv you enjoy, a job, any money you have in the bank, etc, etc, etc - whatever things you appreciate. And not only that but relationships - people you care about, family, friends, pets, relationships from your past. People who have helped you in any way. Their health and safety, that God has watched out for them. And all the other things necessary to life - air, water, any aspects in which you are strong or healthy, health care, etc. Spiritual benefits - that you know God, for God's grace, the sacrifice of Christ, that God created you, that you have the privilege of being heard by God, for His love and care and faithfulness, that you have access to the Scriptures, anyone who has prayed for you or helped or advised you, that you are free to worship, your Church if you go, the help of any teachers you might have read and benefited from, etc.

Remember to try to think of EVERYTHING - the exercise is that if you forget to thank God for it, it won't exist tomorrow. Of course that isn't true, but the idea is to make yourself aware of everything you have to be thankful for. Do this for at least several days ... I would keep doing it until your thinking starts to change, which I think will not take long (less than a couple of weeks), and then continue to thank God every day by at least mentioning general categories of these things, and remember to be mindful and think of things you are thankful for, for the rest of your life.

The second is to change who you are comparing yourself to. If you live in the US, especially, we are continually tempted to compare ourselves to an affluent American ideal. There are in fact many poor people in this country, by American standards, but try comparing to the larger world population. Look into the lives, read stories and see images, of how desperately poor so many people in the world are. People who live in boxes, or makeshift houses made of gathered trash. People with no access to clean water. People without food to eat. Children losing parents due to disease and having to fend for themselves. Parents watching their children starve with nothing to feed them. People forced into slavery or an organized crime scam, or who sell their children, and so on. Educate yourself about what the AVERAGE standard of living in the world is now, not what you compare yourself to on TV. And while you're at it, if you watch shows like Extreme Pools or mansions or whatever - do yourself a favor and stop. In fact, advertising is designed to make you feel exactly as you describe, so as much as you can cut yourself off from that, the better.

Those two things should give you a more reasonable handle on what you have, and what you need, and how blessed you already are.

If there is an underlying issue of your worth, that can be worked on too. You need to learn to see how God values you, and why. Not because of anything at all you possess, but the true value is in your soul, your being a person, created in His image. That makes YOU worth more than all the wealth that ever was. The material things are all so much distraction and "stuff" that God can easily create and destroy. You yourself are the true treasure, your soul, and the soul of every person.

And I suspect it is the thoughts that come into your mind that you need to learn to recognize for what they are - a temptation to think this way, and simply let them go, without allowing yourself to interact with them. Sometimes people in our Church say - you can't stop birds from flying in the air around you, but you can keep them from building a nest in your hair. I will post a link to a podcast that might start to help - phone dying so I need to hit "post reply" now quickly, but I'll edit it in.

Here it is: Our Thoughts, Feelings, and Memories - Speaking the Truth in Love | Ancient Faith Ministries

There are many others that can help as well. :) It is something Christians have dealt with since the beginning. :)

I hope this is a beginning. It may be a lifelong struggle, or if you overcome this one, you may find a new one. That is the Christian life, to identify and root out such things in an attempt to cooperate with God as He transforms us by His grace to be more like Christ.

Again, welcome to CF!

• Friendly
Upvote 0

lastofall

Aug 6, 2016
Germany
✟30,996.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
[for me anyway] As you already know that loving money is sin, and we must repent of our known sin. As for what else...

"..having food and raiment let us be therewith content." (1 Timothy 6:8)

we must repent of "supposing that gain [getting advantage] is godliness" (1 Timothy 6:5)

Instead.."godliness with contentment is great gain." (1 Timothy 6:6)

As for why your prayer is not regarded.."Ye ask, and receive not, because ye ask amiss, that ye may consume it upon your lusts." (James 4:3)

Altogether if we are to actually believe in the true and living God, then we must repent of trusting in riches, otherwise we shall remain in unbelief, and our sins shall remain untouched.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

Hieronymus

Jan 12, 2016
the Hague NL
✟69,862.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

It seems you are human. ;)

• Friendly
Upvote 0

Kit Sigmon

May 18, 2016
USA
✟76,189.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship

The Bible reveals this about greed/and or being greedy:
Proverbs 1:10 My son, if sinners entice thee, consent thou not.
11 If they say, Come with us, let us lay wait for blood,
let us lurk privily for the innocent without cause:
12 let us swallow them up alive as the grave;
and whole, as those that go down into the pit:
13 we shall find all precious substance,
we shall fill our houses with spoil:
14 cast in thy lot among us;
let us all have one purse:
15 my son, walk not thou in the way with them;
refrain thy foot from their path:
16 for their feet run to evil, and make haste to shed blood.
17 Surely in vain the net is spread in the sight of any bird.
18 And they lay wait for their own blood; they lurk privily for their own lives.
19 So are the ways of every one that is greedy of gain; which taketh away the
life of the owners thereof.

Greed be a mark of a life separated from God.
Today be a good day to repent.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So I'm 19 and ever since I was 10 I've always been money hungry. I've always wanted to be rich and live in a big house and have more money then I know what to do with.

1 Timothy 6:10 says: "For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs."

I feel like if I were super wealthy I could finally be someone. Like the past couple years I've been kind of miserable because I'm not wealthy yet

And that's the first grief right there. If you need billions of $$$ to feel good about yourself, there will never be enough.

I've prayed continuously for gods help but nothing happens

Praying that God will change your sense of priorities, so that you will rejoice in Him. :prayer:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

akaDaScribe

Site Supporter
Mar 27, 2018
Boston Area
✟97,444.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Be someone to who?
What does it mean to be someone?

Upvote 0