Greed, lust, addictions, harmful patterns... etcetera..

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,117.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Can God help you to give up these things. It seems very difficult by oneself... Have you had more success with God?

What's your experience, what was different?

✝️

It's been my experience that faith gives you something to focus on. It gives you a reason for wanting to control your desires. You don't feel like you're going through anything alone.

Upvote 0

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,273,104.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
D. All of the above ;)

Ive experienced times where God undoubtedly removed my sinful traits. Other times with a lot of struggle I’ve personally dealt with unwanted behaviors. And last but not least I’ve been assisted by others in one way or another.

Upvote 0

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟733,625.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
I have ALWAYS had more success with God. Briefly, I can say in my personal experience with one of these sins in particular. I have to reveal that until I first, admitted I had a problem and sought help from a spiritually based program. You need support right away from day one and these places will embrace you and show you how to stop. What you find out later after walking the path, studying with a mentor, and making the next right choice, the obsession will be lifted and you obtain freedom. Total freedom as long as you continue in your program and help others. "You can't keep it if you don't give it away."

Going it without God has always been nothing but shame, remorse, and misery. Like my best friend moved away. I would be remorseful about being deprived of my obsession. Total depression and nothing to stand on but my own best thinking which got me there in the first place.

In short. Whatever program you choose, do it 100% and you won't fail. Pick up your flag and climb that mountain with the Lord's good help. But the mind has to be made up.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟721,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Can God help you to give up these things. It seems very difficult by oneself... Have you had more success with God?

✝️

With the Lord's help I am not what I once was ... but am also not all that I can be in this earthly life ... I have had my thinking changed on many things through the Lord .... I also realize my thinking will be continuously changing throughout my earthly life .... not coming to full completion until Jesus returns and become one with Him.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

✝️
I think it’s more about understanding why some behaviours are harmful, and replacing them with other behaviours that aren’t.

Reactions: com7fy8
Upvote 0

Tellyontellyon

Jan 19, 2020
Wales
✟112,799.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Married
Got that - are you in fellowship with other believers ?

I'm a Buddhist, though there is a place in my heart for a Sufi musician and mystic: Hazrat Inayat Khan...

I do go to a chapel quite regularly. They are Unitarian Universalists and very friendly and loving, so I am hearing more about the Bible.

Upvote 0

Tellyontellyon

Jan 19, 2020
Wales
✟112,799.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Married
With the Lord's help I am not what I once was ... but am also not all that I can be in this earthly life ... I have had my thinking changed on many things through the Lord .... I also realize my thinking will be continuously changing throughout my earthly life .... not coming to full completion until Jesus returns and become one with Him.
I find stories like yours gives me a lot of hope.

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,160.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm a Buddhist, though there is a place in my heart for a Sufi musician and mystic: Hazrat Inayat Khan...

I do go to a chapel quite regularly. They are Unitarian Universalists and very friendly and loving, so I am hearing more about the Bible.

I was into eastern philosophy etc. Studied phenomenology of religion got very bound spiritually. Then Jesus picked me up and put me back on the rails - second chance prodigal son. It took 7 years to get spiritually clean, the key was in realising the authority to deal with the spiritual root of my intrusions. I consumed the bible and allowed it to shape my world view. I had bulk prayer and ministry. The Body of Christ has ultimate authority to deal with unwanted addictions God is good - there is hope.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟246,944.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

✝️
Yes we are slaves to sin. We have a natural tendency towards self will. I relate to Paul when he talks about being slaves to sin.

“But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.” Romans 7:23.

For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh) nothing good dwells; for to will is present with me, but how to perform what is good I do not find. Romans 7:18

What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body that is subject to death? Romans 7:24.

So we can't help give up those things you mentioned but only by subjecting to Gods will through Christ that we are born of the spirit and can therefore live by the spirit and not the flesh. But as Paul alludes to its a struggle between the flesh and spirit and a continual fight to being more Christ like.

I speak from personal experience and know that we all face some demons in different ways. Some just hide it better. Some choose to place al their happiness and fulfillment in the things of this world and it can be all consuming. But I think if Christs words are true then true happiness and fulfillment can only be found in God and this world is selling a false promise.

The key is letting go of self and handing over to God. That seems a paradox in today's world where the 'self' is made out to be god.

As AA and NA first 3 steps mention 1) we have to admit we have a problem and are powerless. That can apply to anything really , substance addiction, lust, greed, controlling behavior, extreme emotions. Step 2 came to believe that a power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity or restore stability out of the chaos. Step 3 handed ourselves over to that higher power. For many that's handing over to Christ.

Its giving in to win which is similar to when someone becomes born again they are coming to the alter and handing over their life to God the higher power.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,160.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
@Tellyontellyon

Renounciation is a key factor in getting free.

This is however only possible with a seat of the authority of the Name of Jesus in you own life. To achieve this you have to renounce all else and receive Jesus alone as your Lord.

Rev 3:20
20 Behold, I stand at the door and knock; if anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and will dine with him, and he with Me.

Renounce in the Greek means to 'speak against' and is not prayer but a proclamation against unwanted spiritual entities.

2 Corinthians 4:2
but we have renounced the things hidden because of shame, not walking in trickery nor distorting the word of God, but by the open proclamation of the truth commending ourselves to every person’s conscience in the sight of God.

Best find a Pastor and work these issues through.

Upvote 0

Tellyontellyon

Jan 19, 2020
Wales
✟112,799.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Married
Yes we are slaves to sin. We have a natural tendency towards self will. I relate to Paul when he talks about being slaves to sin.

“But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.” Romans 7:23.

For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh) nothing good dwells; for to will is present with me, but how to perform what is good I do not find. Romans 7:18

What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body that is subject to death? Romans 7:24.

So we can't help give up those things you mentioned but only by subjecting to Gods will through Christ that we are born of the spirit and can therefore live by the spirit and not the flesh. But as Paul alludes to its a struggle between the flesh and spirit and a continual fight to being more Christ like.

I speak from personal experience and know that we all face some demons in different ways. Some just hide it better. Some choose to place al their happiness and fulfillment in the things of this world and it can be all consuming. But I think if Christs words are true then true happiness and fulfillment can only be found in God and this world is selling a false promise.

The key is letting go of self and handing over to God. That seems a paradox in today's world where the 'self' is made out to be god.

As AA and NA first 3 steps mention 1) we have to admit we have a problem and are powerless. That can apply to anything really , substance addiction, lust, greed, controlling behavior, extreme emotions. Step 2 came to believe that a power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity or restore stability out of the chaos. Step 3 handed ourselves over to that higher power. For many that's handing over to Christ.

Its giving in to win which is similar to when someone becomes born again they are coming to the alter and handing over their life to God the higher power.

That thing of handing yourself over to Christ... Does that really work.
I don't seem to be able to do it by myself

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,160.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

It is an either or not a both and...

You will need to renounce 'Om Mani Peme Hung'

Pray to the Father in the Name of Jesus for help.

Upvote 0

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟246,944.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I don't know you or your situation well enough to understand where you are at in your life. But by simply asking the question whether God can help shows you are seeking. God tells us if we seek Him we will find Him.

From memory I think I had this God awareness in me all my life but never committed to God personally until later in life. So I was living in the world sinning and and calling on God when things got hard but then continuing to do the same.

Eventually it came to a head where I had to admit I needed help. Luckily there are great Christians who care and they pointed me in the right direction. That ended in handing my life over to Christ.

I don't think at least for me that there was this great revelation and conversion in one go and suddenly I was changed. It took many times in handing myself over and I gradually gave over more and more. In fact you have to continually hand yourself over even the greatest Christians.

I think David in the bible is a good example in how he was always slipping into sin but coming to a realization that he messed up and was humbled before God each time. But he gradually became a mighty man of God. Everyone experiences doubt but I think this makes our faith stronger.

You are seeking and if you are seeking God you will find Him. It may seem that He has abandoned you or you are losing faith but sometimes we have to lose something to see its value. Maybe speak to others in the church or group if you have one as others may have similar experiences. Even therapy can help a person see things more clearly.

Last edited:
Upvote 0