✟432,680.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
John 14:12
“Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever believes in me will also do the works that I do; and greater works than these will he do, because I am going to the Father."

What does that mean? It cant mean that the typical Christian believer is right now doing greater works than Jesus did..... or can it?

lesliedellow

Sep 20, 2010
United Kingdom
Visit site
✟104,175.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
John 14:12
“Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever believes in me will also do the works that I do; and greater works than these will he do, because I am going to the Father."

What does that mean? It cant mean that the typical Christian believer is right now doing greater works than Jesus did..... or can it?

It means, in essence, that his disciples will go on to win converts in far greater numbers than he did during his life time.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟432,680.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Perhaps I should have provided just a little more context....

8 Philip said to him, “Lord, show us the Father, and it is enough for us.” 9 Jesus said to him, “Have I been with you so long, and you still do not know me, Philip? Whoever has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, ‘Show us the Father’? 10 Do you not believe that I am in the Father and the Father is in me? The words that I say to you I do not speak on my own authority, but the Father who dwells in me does his works. 11 Believe me that I am in the Father and the Father is in me, or else believe on account of the works themselves.

12 “Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever believes in me will also do the works that I do; and greater works than these will he do, because I am going to the Father. 13 Whatever you ask in my name, this I will do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. 14 If you ask me[e] anything in my name, I will do it.

So if the works are spreading the word, does that imply the first bolded part means "...or else believe on account of the conversions youve already seen"?

Upvote 0

lesliedellow

Sep 20, 2010
United Kingdom
Visit site
✟104,175.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Perhaps I should have provided just a little more context....

8 Philip said to him, “Lord, show us the Father, and it is enough for us.” 9 Jesus said to him, “Have I been with you so long, and you still do not know me, Philip? Whoever has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, ‘Show us the Father’? 10 Do you not believe that I am in the Father and the Father is in me? The words that I say to you I do not speak on my own authority, but the Father who dwells in me does his works. 11 Believe me that I am in the Father and the Father is in me, or else believe on account of the works themselves.

12 “Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever believes in me will also do the works that I do; and greater works than these will he do, because I am going to the Father. 13 Whatever you ask in my name, this I will do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. 14 If you ask me[e] anything in my name, I will do it.

So if the works are spreading the word, does that imply the first bolded part means "...or else believe on account of the conversions youve already seen"?

It means whatever the disciples had previously witnessed. If we think miracles are "greater" works than evangelism, that only says something about what we are impressed by. From God's point of view, the great work is the building of his kingdom.

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟827,931.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Mod Hat

This thread is undergoing a cleanup, following which it will be reopened.

I would like to remind all of our non Christian members that in this forum, according to the statement of purpose, of the rules here:

We recognize that real seekers are looking for real answers, and the first reply given may be insufficient to achieve this. It is acceptable for the Original Poster (OP) to probe the answers given, and to continue the discussion on lines which help to clarify their understanding of the Christian faith. If another non-Christian seeker wishes to ask questions about the Christian faith, they may start their own thread. No more than one non-Christian (the OP) may post in a thread.

Mark
Staff Supervisor.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟432,680.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
It means whatever the disciples had previously witnessed. If we think miracles are "greater" works than evangelism, that only says something about what we are impressed by. From God's point of view, the great work is the building of his kingdom.
That makes sense.

Thanks for the replies, folks.

Upvote 0