Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Still not actually doctrine. We both know this Phoebe. Why do you quote it then? Are you hoping that some person not familiar with LDS doctrine won't know that?

I'm not hoping anything other than to glorify the One True God. I'm posting what the Corporation of the President of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints teaches. Why should anyone believe your words over theirs?

Upvote 0

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
Mormon
I'm not hoping anything other than to glorify the One True God.
Then glorify Him by telling people what you believe to be True! That is a great an praise worthy thing!

Posting newspapers that aren't anyone's doctrine... I don't see how that's glorifying anyone. Would you care to explain it to me?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Then glorify Him by telling people what you believe to be True! That is a great an praise worthy thing!

Posting newspapers that aren't anyone's doctrine... I don't see how that's glorifying anyone. Would you care to explain it to me?

I didn't post a newspaper. I posted what was written and published by the Corporation of the President of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I don't need to explain it to you. You need to explain why the Corporation of the President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints published it as a Melchizedek Priesthood Personal Study Guide. And you aren't the President of your church so no Mormon has to rely on your teachings. President Spencer W. Kimball was your prophet that year.

Upvote 0

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
Mormon
I didn't post a newspaper.
"Deseret News" and "Church News" are literally newspapers.
I posted what was written and published by the Corporation of the President of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I don't need to explain it to you. You need to explain why the Corporation of the President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints published it as a Melchizedek Priesthood Personal Study Guide. And you aren't the President of your church so no Mormon has to rely on your teachings. President Spencer W. Kimball was your prophet that year.
This is a complete strawman argument. None of your random quotes are actual doctrine and there's no reason for me to respond to things like newspaper articles.

Upvote 0

withwonderingawe

Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2015
Salem Ut
✟161,549.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Ah, the old "it's not doctrine" curtain... :doh:

The lds church must be teaching false doctrine then.

It's the way she presents the doctrine which makes it not doctrine

Last edited:
Upvote 0

withwonderingawe

Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2015
Salem Ut
✟161,549.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
She is quoting from doctrines of the Gospel Student manual
Jesus is greater than the Holy Spirit, which is subject unto him, but his Father is greater than he! He has said it. Christ was begotten of God. He was not born without the aid of Man, and that Man was God!” (Doctrines of Salvation, 1:18).
Book of Mormon Student Manual, 1989, Alma 7:10, p.74

God is the Supreme Being in the universe.
  1. God the Father is greater than all (see Ephesians 4:6; John 10:29).

2. As the Supreme Being, God the Father should be the object of our love and worship (see D&C 18:40; 20:29; Joshua 22:5; Mark 12:30; D&C 4:2;Luke 4:8).
    Doctrines of the Gospel Student Manual Chapter 3: God the Eternal Father

What it doesn't say is and you can't give Jesus or the Holy Ghost any worship or love.

The introduction of the lesson says

"The scriptures do not always specify which member of the Godhead is being referred to in a given passage. Since the Father and the Son are one in all things, the scripture references used in this chapter that speak of God are applied to the Father, though many may also apply to the Son. The perfections and attributes of one are also the perfections and attributes of the other."

She doesn't go to the next chapter to see what is said about Jesus, and the quote from Apostles Neal Maxwell

We can trust, worship, and even adore Him without any reservation! As the only Perfect Person to sojourn on this planet, there is none like Him! (See Isa. 46:9.)

“In intelligence and performance, He far surpasses the individual and the composite capacities andachievements of all who have lived, live now, and will yet live! (See Abr. 3:19.)

“He rejoices in our genuine goodness and achievement, but any assessment of where we stand in relation to Him tells us that we do not stand at all! We kneel!” (Neal A. Maxwell, in Conference Report, Oct. 1981, 9; or Ensign, Nov. 1981, 8).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟219,819.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If anyone wanted to quote actual doctrine in these threads, they are welcome to. But for some reason we get newspaper quotes instead. I'm trying to understand why.
So forget about the teachings of current and past prophets, if they appear in these newspapers and/or publications you so easily disregard? So much for sustaining your prophets...

Dismiss church teachings in officially published teaching manuals if it's not doctrine? That would seem to indicate your church is teaching false doctrine...

Is this doctrine?
The doctrine of a Heavenly Mother is a cherished and distinctive belief among Latter-day Saints.
Mother in Heaven

Not found in your 4 standard works, but your church claims it's doctrine. A highly regarded one at that.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 person
Upvote 0

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟219,819.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Is your church teaching false doctrine, since it's quoting and including non-doctrinal sources in its official publications and teaching manuals?

Upvote 0

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟219,819.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You totally ignored the rest the very nice post WWA's wrote for you.
You mean this part, which, if you are consistent, should not meet your approval since it's not from a doctrinal source:
“He rejoices in our genuine goodness and achievement, but any assessment of where we stand in relation to Him tells us that we do not stand at all! We kneel!” (Neal A. Maxwell, in Conference Report, Oct. 1981, 9; or Ensign, Nov. 1981, 8).
And you continue to ignore Heavenly Mother. Why is that?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
Mormon
You mean this part, which, if you are consistent, should not meet your approval since it's not from a doctrinal source:
She spent her time writing you a thorough response to your question. Are you going to read the answer to your question?
Nice complete redherring ;)

Upvote 0

Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
So forget about the teachings of current and past prophets, if they appear in these newspapers and/or publications you so easily disregard? So much for sustaining your prophets...

Look at it this way.

You're doing a research paper.

Would you settle for a Wikipedia article on a topic to get a quick primer, or would you want to see if there's an actual "quick study" guide written by a professor in that field?

Phoebe is basically doing the former: instead of going to the actual manuals, she's settling for something that's been filtered down.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed

What it doesn't say is and you can't give Jesus or the Holy Ghost any worship or love.

"The scriptures do not always specify which member of the Godhead is being referred to in a given passage. Since the Father and the Son are one in all things, the scripture references used in this chapter that speak of God are applied to the Father, though many may also apply to the Son. The perfections and attributes of one are also the perfections and attributes of the other."

She doesn't go to the next chapter to see what is said about Jesus, and the quote from Apostles Neal Maxwell

We can trust, worship, and even adore Him without any reservation! As the only Perfect Person to sojourn on this planet, there is none like Him! (See Isa. 46:9.)

“In intelligence and performance, He far surpasses the individual and the composite capacities andachievements of all who have lived, live now, and will yet live! (See Abr. 3:19.)

How many times are we going to repeat this conversation? If you care to tell us that the Father is not greater than the Son, have at it! If you worship all three of your gods, do as you like.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed

Really? I used two official lesson manuals.

Mormonism
Jesus is greater than the Holy Spirit, which is subject unto him, but his Father is greater than he! He has said it. Christ was begotten of God. He was not born without the aid of Man, and that Man was God!” (Doctrines of Salvation, 1:18).
Book of Mormon Student Manual, 1989, Alma 7:10, p.74

It is a contradiction to: "As the Supreme Being, God the Father should be the object of our love and worship (see D&C 18:40; 20:29; Joshua 22:5; Mark 12:30; D&C 4:2;Luke 4:8)."
Doctrines of the Gospel Student Manual Chapter 3: God the Eternal Father

As the Supreme Being, God the Father should be the object of our love and worship (see D&C 18:40; 20:29; Joshua 22:5; Mark 12:30; D&C 4:2;Luke 4:8).

I'm sincerely sorry if English doesn't make sense to you. I guess my talent doesn't lie in teaching English as a second language.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed

I think perhaps they would have a problem worshiping a goddess who took an oath to obey her husband. ???

Upvote 0