Not open for further replies.

Shizzle

Mar 19, 2005
✟8,792.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Private
No, I don’t. We are anointed to be servants of God, period. Grace can never come from works (obedience). We are all anointed with the same Spirit from the day we came to Christ. We simply need to use what we already have, not seek for more. I think Christians do not use what they have either through ignorance or because they think they have to reach some higher (and often unattainable) level.

Well Jim how does that belief correspond with what you think about spending time in Gods presence? Should a man make effort (by Gods leading; tongues; ect.) to enter into Gods presence? (where your feelings are affected, everlasting life, prayer burdens, ect.)

Yall this is a verse i found recently i really like:

(Amp) Isaiah 55:1-3 WAIT and listen, everyone who is thirsty! Come to the waters; and he who has no money, come, buy and eat! Yes, come, buy [priceless, spiritual] wine and milk without money and without price [simply for the self-surrender that accepts the blessing]. Why do you spend your money for that which is not bread, and your earnings for what does not satisfy? Hearken diligently to Me, and eat what is good, and let your soul delight itself in fatness [the profuseness of spiritual joy].
Incline your ear [submit and consent to the divine will] and come to Me; hear, and your soul will revive; and I will make an everlasting covenant or league with you, even the sure mercy (kindness, goodwill, and compassion) promised to David.

You notice he put conditions in all those. You have to "labour" to enter God's rest sometimes.

Hebrews 4:11 Let us therefore be zealous and exert ourselves and strive diligently to enter that rest [of God, to know and experience it for ourselves], that no one may fall or perish by the same kind of unbelief and disobedience [into which those in the wilderness fell].

Three fourths of a year ago when i labored in tongues i could hardly feel a thing, now i feel, see, and hear many things. I definitely do not have the same spirit i had when i accepted Christ.

2 Kings 2:9-10 And when they had gone over, Elijah said to Elisha, Ask what I shall do for you before I am taken from you. And Elisha said, I pray you, let a double portion of your spirit be upon me. He said, You have asked a hard thing. However, if you see me when I am taken from you, it shall be so for you--but if not, it shall not be so.

Upvote 0

JimB

Legend
Jul 12, 2004
Nacogdoches, Texas
Visit site
✟34,757.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

If there was such a thing as a “greater anointing” (there isn’t, but for the sake of discussion …) and it came through our own efforts at obedience, then the anointing would be something we earned, wouldn’t it? It would be more of a reward than a gift/grace. We would, in fact, sort of be anointing ourselves.

~Jim

We are among one of two types of people: we will either leave a mark in the world or a stain.

Upvote 0

pinetree

Mar 17, 2008
USA
✟13,825.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
If there was such a thing as a “greater anointing” (there isn’t, but for the sake of discussion …) and it came through our own efforts at obedience, then the anointing would be something we earned, wouldn’t it? It would be more of a reward than a gift/grace. We would, in fact, sort of be anointing ourselves.

~Jim

We are among one of two types of people: we will either leave a mark in the world or a stain.
How true Jim..there is just something in mans adamic nature,that thinks he can earn it..

thus giving glory to self,rather than our creator who is worthy to be praised!

Thats why 2 Cor 3,it says,..how much greater glory is the ministry of the Spirit.:)

Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟163,876.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican

~Jim

There is a greater anointing Jim, and Jesus has that,..

Hebrews 1:9 (AV) Thou hast loved righteousness, and hated iniquity; therefore God, even thy God, hath anointed thee with the oil of gladness above thy fellows.

We won't have what Jesus has, but we can operate in it strongly enough for GOD's glory.

This passage also explains what the anointing truly is. It is a spiritual oil that is poured up us by GOD. This is the spiritual aspect of the material aspect in the OT.

What it isn't is something floating around in the atmosphere besides The Holy Spirit to where people claim "the anointing is here!" People that claim such things have no true experience of the oil actually being poured upon them in prayer.

Upvote 0

JimB

Legend
Jul 12, 2004
Nacogdoches, Texas
Visit site
✟34,757.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well, Jesus is THE Anointed One (the Messiah, the Christ), so I guess He does have the only “greater” anointing.

Actually Hebrews 1.9 means that Christ was anointed to be above all others, preeminent in all things, the chief begotten of the Father.

~Jim

Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟163,876.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Well, Jesus is THE Anointed One (the Messiah, the Christ), so I guess He does have the only “greater” anointing.

~Jim

That's correct.

I'm not sure that people down here really have differing amounts of spiritual anointing in their lives. I believe a person operates in a different amount of power according to what GOD dictates and allows, but GOD's power is never in our control or manipulated by us. That is just wishful thinking out of some.

Upvote 0
Jun 8, 2006
✟9,707.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Isn't obedience today about obeying the faith, obeying the truth of the gospel?

Romans 1:5-6
5 Through Him we have received grace and apostleship for obedience to the faith among all nations for His name, 6 among whom you also are the called of Jesus Christ;

Romans 16:26-27
26 but now made manifest, and by the prophetic Scriptures made known to all nations, according to the commandment of the everlasting God, for obedience to the faith -- 27 to God, alone wise, be glory through Jesus Christ forever. Amen.

Romans 2:8-11
8 but to those who are self-seeking and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness -- indignation and wrath, 9 tribulation and anguish, on every soul of man who does evil, of the Jew first and also of the Greek; 10 but glory, honor, and peace to everyone who works what is good, to the Jew first and also to the Greek. 11 For there is no partiality with God.

Galatians 3:1
O foolish Galatians! Who has bewitched you that you should not obey the truth, before whose eyes Jesus Christ was clearly portrayed among you as crucified?

Of cse it's best for us to obey whatever the Spirit tells us to do, but I don't think that necessarily increases one's anointing.

Reactions: pinetree
Upvote 0

Deba

The Lord is my shepherd I shall not want (period)
Jul 8, 2007
An American living in Laos
✟13,167.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Romans 8:32 says that God gives us all things. However, as we by obedience learn to walk with God, these things are revealed to us. They have been there all along but concealed by our flesh.

For example, Do you really think God wanted Smith Wigglesworth to drop kick a baby back to its mother after having been healed? Of course not! And later on is his ministry he stopped doing those bizarre things. But at first he was walking in an anoiting that he was misusing - he had not gained it by obedience - but by the soverign will of God.

He who did not spare his own Son, but gave him up for us all–how will he not also, along with him, graciously give us all things?

Upvote 0

ShammahBenJudah

Son of Zion
Oct 31, 2006
USA
✟73,073.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
If we do not live a life that is set apart from the world and holy then it will severely compromise or destroy our witness. I know a friend of mine would not hear anything I would advise him on even though my advice was directly from Scripture.

However...when I surrendered all the areas of my life to God and took up my cross, he suddenly changed and now receives my counsel.

Holiness is essential to our spiritual walk and ability to be effective for God.

Apparently some folks are a little confused over just what you're referring to when you use the term "anointed". I see the anointing regarding us as ministers as exousia, dunamis or a combination of the two.

I suspect that when you made your surrender and crucified your old life, it wasn't really your friend that changed, but you. When we are crucified with Christ, it isn't ourselves living, but Christ within us. Did your anointing increase, or did you discover a greater potential in Christ than you were walking in before? Is there really a difference in the two?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JimB

Legend
Jul 12, 2004
Nacogdoches, Texas
Visit site
✟34,757.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Romans 8:32 says that God gives us all things. However, as we by obedience learn to walk with God, these things are revealed to us. They have been there all along but concealed by our flesh.

For example, Do you really think God wanted Smith Wigglesworth to drop kick a baby back to its mother after having been healed? Of course not! And later on is his ministry he stopped doing those bizarre things. But at first he was walking in an anoiting that he was misusing - he had not gained it by obedience - but by the soverign will of God.

He who did not spare his own Son, but gave him up for us all–how will he not also, along with him, graciously give us all things?

Sounz good, Deba, but do you have a single (unambiguous) scripture to back any of this up?

I never heard the SW dropped-kick baby story and, frankly, it sounds more legendary than factual. Much of what is told about SW and some of the early Pentecostal “heroes” (many of whom may actually have done some weird things) are more concocted than real and, IMO, we will never be able to separate fact from fiction. I have been a first-hand witness to things that reported and became part of Pentecostal fable that never really happened. One was a meeting I was in where it became generally reported and exaggerated that a visible “shekinah cloud of glory” descended on the congregation. It became the stuff of legend in the southwest US back in the 70’s. Only it never happened. And no one in the large crowd, including me, ever saw it. But I wouldn’t doubt the story is in some Pentecostal history book somewhere.

Same with Smith Wigglesworth drop-kicking babies.

~Jim

Upvote 0

ydouxist

Senior Veteran
Nov 27, 2003
Texas
Visit site
✟19,940.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Sounz good, Deba, but do you have a single (unambiguous) scripture to back any of this up?

I never heard the SW dropped-kick baby story and, frankly, it sounds more legendary than factual. Much of what is told about SW and some of the early Pentecostal “heroes” (many of whom may actually have done some weird things) are more concocted than real and, IMO, we will never be able to separate fact from fiction. I have been a first-hand witness to things that reported and became part of Pentecostal fable that never really happened. One was a meeting I was in where it became generally reported and exaggerated that a visible “shekinah cloud of glory” descended on the congregation. It became the stuff of legend in the southwest US back in the 70’s. Only it never happened. And no one in the large crowd, including me, ever saw it. But I wouldn’t doubt the story is in some Pentecostal history book somewhere.

~Jim

I was in one of those meetings. I never saw the "cloud" either.
:o

Upvote 0

Deba

The Lord is my shepherd I shall not want (period)
Jul 8, 2007
An American living in Laos
✟13,167.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single

~Jim

http://www.amazon.com/review/product/1577780248/ref=cm_cr_pr_link_next_2?%5Fencoding=UTF8&pageNumber=2

The dropkick is referred to in a review of a SW biography. Best I can do.

As far as a single verse no. In principle yes. David was anoited king long before he gained the throne.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.