Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2010
Nova Scotia
✟188,109.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2018/08/05/heres-what-left-doesnt-get-about-america.html

I was once a proud member of the Democratic party. Better yet, I was a proud supporter of both Bill and Hillary Clinton.

Growing up in the 1990s, I gave President Clinton much of the credit for a period in our history that ushered in balanced budgets, relative peace and security at home, technological wonders like the internet and a nation that seemed on the rise, with limitless opportunity for all.

Around 2011, however, I finally reached the point where I could no longer swallow the radicalized rhetoric coming from the left. The reasons were complex, but there was one thing above all else that planted me firmly in the Republican camp: the left’s need to constantly trash or see America in a negative light.

Whether it was Barack Obama declaring we needed to “fundamentally transform” America, or a liberal activist who once said to me, “This country isn’t exceptional – it’s pathetic” – it was clear to me that, for some reason, many on the left see America as wicked, unholy, and in need of some sort of purification. The election of President Trump has only exacerbated this, with many Democrats now seeing a country that is broken in every sense of the word.

Harry J. Kazianis (@grecianformula) is director of defense studies at the Center for the National Interest, founded by former President Richard M. Nixon.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
so if Trump is making America great again....doesn't that mean that it's not great?

What time period in American history is Trump talking about?

"When Donald Trump says, 'Make America Great Again,' what time period is he talking about?" Bowen, 31, said. "A lot of people overlook that America's history has been built upon injustice against other racial groups, including Native American people."

Navajo Artist Creates 'Make America Native Again' Hats to Critique Donald Trump's Campaign Slogan

It took the United States of America, a nation supposedly founded upon freedom, liberty and justice for all, 188 years to finally give minorities civil rights and equality to white people. It's only been 54 years since the Civil Rights Movement and America is 242 years old. That's not a good track record for a nation like America that brags about being founded on freedom, liberty and justice for all.

Upvote 0

Ringo84

Separation of Church and State expert
Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It strikes me that the whole "pick yourself up by the bootstraps and work hard, and you may one day be successful" really is similar to the prosperity "gospel".

The main difference is that instead of making shady televangelists rich, it's a way to shut up the lower classes as the wealthiest 1% get all the benefits, tax cuts, tax breaks, etc. Just let the drooling masses believe that success is just around the corner while they break their backs and see their wages dropping, their worker benefits and rights diminished, and their taxes go up to pay for the almighty job creators (hallowed be their name).

What people need to understand is that some of the same people who are condescendingly lecturing """the left""" about what they "don't understand" about America are the same ones benefiting from the policies that make the rich richer and leave the poor scraps.
Ringo

Upvote 0

RestoreTheJoy

Site Supporter
Jul 13, 2018
Passing Through
✟456,249.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2018/08/05/heres-what-left-doesnt-get-about-america.html

I was once a proud member of the Democratic party. Better yet, I was a proud supporter of both Bill and Hillary Clinton.

Growing up in the 1990s, I gave President Clinton much of the credit for a period in our history that ushered in balanced budgets, relative peace and security at home, technological wonders like the internet and a nation that seemed on the rise, with limitless opportunity for all.

Around 2011, however, I finally reached the point where I could no longer swallow the radicalized rhetoric coming from the left. The reasons were complex, but there was one thing above all else that planted me firmly in the Republican camp: the left’s need to constantly trash or see America in a negative light.

Whether it was Barack Obama declaring we needed to “fundamentally transform” America, or a liberal activist who once said to me, “This country isn’t exceptional – it’s pathetic” – it was clear to me that, for some reason, many on the left see America as wicked, unholy, and in need of some sort of purification. The election of President Trump has only exacerbated this, with many Democrats now seeing a country that is broken in every sense of the word.

A recent example of this is Senator Cory Booker, D-N.J., the former mayor of Newark and a rising star who many see as having a shot at taking on President Trump in 2020, who declared Friday that he cried “tears of rage” over Trump and that “there’s things that are savagely wrong in this country.”

Hold on. The United States has many problems. Yet I have always believed that the soul of America is grounded in two things: our right, bestowed by the founding fathers, to “the pursuit of happiness,” and the generations of diverse, talented and remarkable Americans who have grabbed hold of that right to create better lives for themselves and their families.

As my grandfather told me many times as a boy, “Nothing in this country is guaranteed, but hard work can take you far if you are willing to do it.”

This is what the left never seems to understand about America. This “pursuit of happiness” – what I have always perceived as being able to pursue any goal or opportunity that you wish – is something that no other nation offers its citizens. It is what makes this country exceptional above all else. And it is something that Senator Booker – a Rhodes scholar and Yale Law School graduate – may want to reflect upon.

I look to my own family’s story as proof that America delivers on this pledge – and that there is nothing “savagely wrong” with a nation that does so.

My grandfather left Greece after it was ransacked and destroyed by Nazi Germany in World War II. He sought a better life after being forced to spend long stretches of time in an internment camp for the “crime” of having helped downed allied pilots. With what looked like civil war just over the horizon, he decided to do what many millions all over the world had done before him: he sought a better life in a faraway land that offered a fresh start and security.

He came to America with nearly nothing, just the promise that if he worked hard, he might—key word, might—be able to make a better life for himself. As he told me many times as a boy, “Nothing in this country is guaranteed, but hard work can take you far if you are willing to do it.”

And hard work he did. He began his American story as a cook in a restaurant in Providence, Rhode Island. He learned how restaurants and how an emerging style of food – what we call “fast-food” today – could drive strong profits for those who were willing to learn.

Slowly but surely, he learned more and more about restaurants, how they worked, what made certain establishments a success, and why others failed. Within a few years, he saved enough money to open a small fast-foot joint of his own. He worked even harder, saving his money, studying his competition, and constantly pursuing ways to make his product better.

While success was not guaranteed, he had the right to pursue his own happiness, to make himself better and to provide for his growing family. He had the right to try, the right to fail, the right to make something more of himself. That is the secret sauce that makes America truly great.

There is nothing “savagely wrong” with this country except for the savage nature of the politics that have divided us.

His hard work was rewarded. Not only did he open multiple restaurants and pass on many of his life lessons on how to pursue the American dream to my dad, but I was able to learn from his story too.

While I have had many struggles in life, I always knew in the back of my mind that I had a shot at pursing any dream I deemed worthy of my time, energy and skill.

Even in adulthood, my grandfather’s journey proves to me that the promise of America lives on—and inspired me to make my own way in the world.

In 2008, down on my luck and near financial ruin thanks to a great recession that gutted countless industries, I decided to pursue my own long-shot dream: a career in national security.

I had quit college more times than I could count, never feeling as if I measured up to the supposed “greats” I had studied. But I knew that, like my grandfather, I could pursue my dream.

I also knew that nothing was guaranteed but the pursuit.

So I gave it all I had—just like he did. I worked 70 hours a week and went to school full-time at night. I did internship after internship—awkwardly, in my late twenties and early thirties, sometimes side by side with students a decade younger than I was. I landed my first real paying job as a junior editor at a foreign policy publication that I could have only dreamed of working for only years prior. I worked there while I was in graduate school and while my wife and I struggled to put food on the table and a roof over our heads.

We made it through the tough times and my hard work has been rewarded in ways I had never imagined – writing a column like this for a national news organization, for instance, or being asked to appear on TV to present my views. My only regret is my grandfather never got to see it—but I know he is smiling down upon me, knowing that I followed his path.

My grandfather’s journey and my own are, to me, proof that America offers one thing that is unique in human history: an open platform to pursue your heart’s desire.

There is no guarantee of success—only that you get a shot. The rest is up to you.

This is why I, along with many Americans, have become so frustrated with the left and the politics of the Democratic party.

Yes, our nation has countless problems that need fixing. But when you look at the DNA of America – the reality that we can pursue anything and have a shot at any goal we deem worthy of pursuit – it gives me confidence that those problems, and the ones that will come after, will be addressed with the same ingenuity that makes us who we are.

There is nothing “savagely wrong” with this country except for the savage nature of the politics that have divided us.

Harry J. Kazianis (@grecianformula) is director of defense studies at the Center for the National Interest, founded by former President Richard M. Nixon.
The money quotes:

This is what the left never seems to understand about America. This “pursuit of happiness” – what I have always perceived as being able to pursue any goal or opportunity that you wish – is something that no other nation offers its citizens. It is what makes this country exceptional above all else. And it is something that Senator Booker – a Rhodes scholar and Yale Law School graduate – may want to reflect upon.

And this:

Exactly. The politics of division are the problem.

Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟346,515.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
The money quotes:

And this:

Exactly. The politics of division are the problem.
Yes because in all other countries people are limited to the social class they are born in.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,257,832.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
It's gone way past self-criticism to self-destrucition for much of the left.
They would rather destroy the country than lose power.

The left aren't in power in the US. The president, congress, the courts, all of those are dominated by conservatives.

Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The left aren't in power in the US. The president, congress, the courts, all of those are dominated by conservatives.

I think that what was said about the left would rather detroy the country than give up power applies much more to conservatives of the Religious Right. They politically support Donald Trump, a man who is in his third marriage to his former mistress, he paid off a inappropriate content star to silence her about their affair, he bragged about watching young teenage girls getting undressed during a beauty pageant, and he bragged about groping multiple women and forcing himself upon those women, but his conservative Christian supporters referred to Trump's sexual assault of those women as locker room banter. I can provide many more examples of Trump's immoral behavior than just the few I mentioned so far.

I think we can both imagine the public outcry and moral indignation we would hear from these conservative Christians if former President Obama had even demonstrated the slightest hint of Trump's immoral and sexual deviant behavior. We know this to be true because we witnessed the outcry and moral indignation from many conservative Christians (who are now Trump supporters) when Bill Clinton was still the president and in the thick of his own sexual scandals because of his immoral and sexual deviant behavior. I think we will see a swift comeback of that moral indignation from these conservatives if the next president elected just happens to be a liberal Democrat.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,257,832.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
Perhaps it's a case of subconscious projection. Some people have said that Trump is little more than a wrecking ball. Nothing else explains why suddenly the party of traditional morality rallies around a candidate who so demonstrably lacks any sense of it himself. It seems to me, if anybody is favoring self-destruction here, it's not the Democrats.

Upvote 0

Yonny Costopoulis

Jul 22, 2017
Crete
✟60,005.00
Country
Greece
Faith
Ukr. Grk. Catholic
Marital Status
Married
It's gone way past self-criticism to self-destrucition for much of the left.
They would rather destroy the country than lose power.
Not worrying about diverse racial makeup does not equal wanting to destroy the country.

Pat it was Trump who took stand with Putin and Russian against America in Helsinki. You need to take closer look at what is happening please.

Upvote 0

Yonny Costopoulis

Jul 22, 2017
Crete
✟60,005.00
Country
Greece
Faith
Ukr. Grk. Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Nothing else explains why suddenly the party of traditional morality rallies around a candidate who so demonstrably lacks any sense of it himself.
It is also that some will do and say anything to defend the most disgusting behaviors.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

RestoreTheJoy

Site Supporter
Jul 13, 2018
Passing Through
✟456,249.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Exactly. Correction always comes when things have gone too far.

During the last administration, they went too far in pushing the agenda. So people didn't bother to speak to the pollsters, all of whom got it wrong, as they triumphantly predicted landslide victory for Hillary. Instead, they showed up to vote in unprecedented numbers.

Trump didn't matter. Trump could have been anyone at all - or a purple unicorn - running against Hillary and the firmly entrenched leftist agenda. The last election was an anti-destructive agenda vote, not a vote for Trump.

Upvote 0

RestoreTheJoy

Site Supporter
Jul 13, 2018
Passing Through
✟456,249.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It is also that some will do and say anything to defend the most disgusting behaviors.
No one defends him. No one defends disgusting behaviors regardless of source. And President Obama was not squeaky clean - he just had the media on his side, just like FDR did, back in the day, when they covered his long term affair. Just wait 10-20 years. Everything comes out in time.

Trump was only elected because of who his opponent was.

Upvote 0

tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Exactly. Correction always comes when things have gone too far.
Or when a dwindling majority see's its numbers/power slipping away so they will support any snake oil salesman who promises to make them great again? :scratch:

During the last administration, they went too far in pushing the agenda. So people didn't bother to speak to the pollsters, all of whom got it wrong, as they triumphantly predicted landslide victory for Hillary. Instead, they showed up to vote in unprecedented numbers.
uhmmm...do I need to remind you the pollsters were right about the fact that almost 3,000,000 more people voted for Sec Clinton then voted for President Trump? That they interpreted how those numbers were going to affect the outcome is what they got wrong, not that many millions more American voters didn't want President Trump to be President. I point this out whenever anyone tries to pretend that President Trump was the person who most Americans wanted to be President. :sorry:

Trump didn't matter. Trump could have been anyone at all - or a purple unicorn - running against Hillary and the firmly entrenched leftist agenda. The last election was an anti-destructive agenda vote, not a vote for Trump.
Then isn't it sort of odd people keep pretending he's anything more then a d-list reality tv show host with a penchant for cheating on his wives in a job he's wholly incapable of understanding let alone doing? :scratch:
tulc(is just curious)

Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Perhaps it's a case of subconscious projection. Some people have said that Trump is little more than a wrecking ball. Nothing else explains why suddenly the party of traditional morality rallies around a candidate who so demonstrably lacks any sense of it himself. It seems to me, if anybody is favoring self-destruction here, it's not the Democrats.

I think the explanation of this sudden change within the Republican party can be summarized in one simple word - compromise. I think it was the compromise of moral convictions and traditional family values that are both rooted within the evangelical Christian faith. I also think that this sudden change within the conservative Christian Religious Right perfectly demonstrates the fact that not even evangelical conservative Christians are immune to the lure of secular political power and influence when there's the slightest opportunity for them to push their conservative Christian political agendas.

I honestly don't think it would have mattered to Trump's conservative Christian voting base if he's a convicted and confessed felon, who after serving his time in prison decided he would run for the presidency since he's so wealthy and well known in the first place. After all, he did say that he could stand in the middle of Fifth Avenue and shoot somebody and he wouldn't lose any voters.

I think as long as Donald Trump keeps wooing his conservative Christian supporters by pandering to their Christian faith and to their political conservatism, he can do or say whatever he likes and they will continue to support him and defend him, no matter what he says or does. In fact, they have already proven this statement to be true, as I demonstrated in my previous posts I reposted below.

But Trump's conservative Christian supporters have excused and dismissed his irrational and immoral behavior for a long time now, even before he was elected. After all, he did say he could stand in the middle of Fifth Avenue and shoot somebody and he wouldn't lose any voters.

Sadly, his conservative Christian supporters have been demonstrating how that's true. For example, he clearly mocked a disabled reporter and we all remember how his supporters bent over backward to insist he didn't when the videos show he did. He bragged about groping multiple women and forcing himself on them and his conservative supporters called that sexual assault Locker Room Banter. He's in his third marriage to his former mistress and his conservative supporters were like meh. He paid off a inappropriate content star to silence her about their affair and his conservative supporters were like meh.

He bragged about watching young beauty pageant contestants getting undressed and his conservative supporters were like meh. He bragged about dating his daughter, Ivanka, if she wasn't his daughter and his conservative supporters were like meh. He used profanity to deride African-American NFL football players who knelt on one knee during the national anthem and his conservative supporters were like meh. He used profanity to deride immigrants from Haiti, El Savador and other African countries and his conservative supporteres were like meh. He scammed a lot of people out of their money with his phony Trump University scam and his conservative supporters were like meh.

So, as you can clearly see that there's really no reason why we should think that his conservative Christian supporters would ever not defend him for whatever he says or does, no matter how immoral or irrational his behavior becomes. I honestly expect them to keep excusing his behavior like this.

Franklin Graham is certainly denying the reality of Trump's continued immoral behavior. I think what I've said before about Trump should be repeated in this thread, so I'm reposting a previous post.

(1) He publicly mocked a disabled reporter. Oh wait, according to his conservative supporters, he didn't mock the disabled reporter despite the photos and videos clearly showing he did.

(2) He paid thousands of dollars to a inappropriate content star to silence her about their affair.

(3) He joked about dating his daughter, Ivanka, if she hadn't been his daughter.

(4) He agreed with Howard Stern that she was a piece of [insert profane word here].

(5) He bragged about watching young teenage girls getting undressed during a beauty pageant.

(6) He called the NFL players who knelt during the national anthem with a profane word I'm not allowed to even abbreviate because of the site's profanity rule.

(7) He referred to Haiti, El Savador and other African countries as [insert profane word] countries. Once again I'm not allowed to abbreviate the cuss word because of the profanity rule.

(8) He boastfully bragged about groping women in their private area and forcing himself on them, which his loyal conservative Christian supporters referred to as locker room banter.

(9) He's in his 3rd marriage to his former mistress and he fathered 5 children with 3 different women.

(10) He has been caught in multiple lies, which his conservative Christian supporters have dismissed.

And last but not least, the really strangest behavior of it all...

Donald Trump masqueraded as publicist to brag about himself

For the record, I don't simply make unfounded statements about Trump, without having sufficient evidence to substantiate and validate my statements about him. So, there are 36 different articles posted below that I have found to validate my statements about Trump's immoral behavior. I have more articles about Trump to post, but I can't because it would violate the profanity rule due to the disgusting profanity that Trump has used in his tweets and when he insults people he doesn't like.

Recent evidence of Trump's blatant dishonesty

All False statements involving Donald Trump

Fact-checking Donald Trump's 2018 speech at CPAC

President Trump’s list of false and misleading claims tops 1,000

President Trump has made more than 2,000 false or misleading claims over 355 days

More evidence of Trump's blatant dishonesty

Boy Scout leader apologizes for Trump's political rhetoric

Boy Scouts: Top Leaders Didn't Call Trump to Praise Speech

Donald Trump's Long, Strange History of Using Fake Names

Donald Trump makes 21 false claims in Missouri speech about tax plan

President Trump has made 1,628 false or misleading claims over 298 days

Trump citing phone calls with Boy Scouts and Mexico they say never happened

Boy Scouts: Top leaders didn't call Trump to praise speech as the president said

Boy Scouts refute President Trump's claim that chief said he gave 'greatest speech'

Cheyenne River Sioux Tribe: President Trump Lies About Working With Tribes On DAPL

President Trump Says He has not Received One Phone Call Complaining of His DAPL Approval

Boy Scouts 'Unaware' of Call Trump Said He Received From Organization Praising Jamboree Speech

Trump and his history with women

Donald Trump’s Long Record of Degrading Women

Donald Trump sexism tracker: Every offensive comment in one place

Trump bragged that he walked in on naked beauty pageant contestants

Donald Trump boasted about meeting semi-naked teenagers in beauty pageants

A running list of all the worst things Donald Trump has said about women. It’s long.

28 Sexist Donald Trump Quotes About Women - 23 Times Donald Trump Insulted Women

Longtime Trump attorney says he made $130,000 payment to Stormy Daniels with his money

Trump and insulting people

Here Are The Ways Donald Trump Has Insulted Americans More Than Hillary Clinton

The 289 People, Places and Things Donald Trump Has Insulted on Twitter: A Complete List

The 424 People, Places and Things Donald Trump Has Insulted on Twitter: A Complete List

Trump Is on Track to Insult 650 People, Places and Things on Twitter by the End of His First Term

Trump's history of racist behavior

Trump's Long History of Racism

The racist comments of Donald Trump

Trump and race: Decades of fueling divisions

Here Are 13 Examples Of Donald Trump Being Racist

Donald Trump’s long history of clashes with Native Americans

Decades-Old Housing Discrimination Case Plagues Donald Trump

Trump Condemned Racism As ‘Evil.’ Here Are 16 Times He Embraced It.

On Twitter, Trump accuses blacks of racism three times as often as whites

Former Apprentice Producer Says Trump Would Make Sexist and Racist Comments

Trump said 'Despicable' Racist Comments about Blacks, Jews in Taped Apprentice Meetings

Upvote 0

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,153.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Then isn't it sort of odd people keep pretending he's anything more then a d-list reality tv show host with a penchant for cheating on his wives in a job he's wholly incapable of understanding let alone doing? :scratch:
tulc(is just curious)
imho, this is true and I have far more concerns over his unethical (sometime illegal) practices in his business than his overt immorality. I can support neither.

on the other hand:
Trump was only elected because of who his opponent was.
This is also spot on, imho.
There are very few politicians who brings out the opposition and is as uninspiring to those who should support them as HRC.

Upvote 0