Jan 7, 2017
Lafayette, LA
✟544,986.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Remember Sly and The Family Stone?

LoL! Was glancing through this old thread when I noticed this and just had to post. Sly and the Family Stone were cool! My dad liked Sly and the Family Stone, and he wasn't a music guy. White as a piece of Evangeline bread, too, which is what made it pretty funny. But he was all for racial equality back then, which may have explained it.

Anyway, looks like they were pretty good live (antics and all, LoL).

P.S. Going back this far makes me wanna watch Charlie Brown cartoons now.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hidden In Him

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2017
Lafayette, LA
✟544,986.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Fun going back through this thread : ) I can't really listen to old stuff on radio (kinda depressing), but watching videos is different. Nice watching things posted by others who lived during the same time period. You kinda feel like you can relate...

I was blessed to have great bass players as musical influences growing up. Tiran Porter was one of my favorites. :guitar:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hidden In Him

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2017
Lafayette, LA
✟544,986.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Grew up on the levee in New Orleans. Used to party with friends on the West Bank (Algiers). Wasn't there when Karina hit, but I remember listening to this song at least four or five thousand times as a kid. Proved to be prophetic (and a bit creepy, LoL).

Reactions: joyshirley
Upvote 0

only a sojourner

Apr 7, 2014
United States
✟127,202.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I have always been fond of folk music. Cat Stevens was a favorite. Although Donovan reached his peak popularity in the 60''s his best album in my estimation was a two record set, HMS Donovan, his most poetic and literate album. It had virtually no airplay in the US unfortunately. The entire album is avalable on You Tube. The best cut is The Voyage of the Moon. Mary Hopkin''s Postcard album also has an exquisite rendition of the Voyage of the Moon with Donovan and Paul McCartney on guitar.

In respect to Christian music from the 70''s Daniel Amis comes to mind especially Shotgun Angel. 'Some of the later albums, Including other incarnations of the band The Swirling Eddies, Lost Dogs,and solo albums by Terry Taylor, especially Knowledge and Innocence have also been exceptional. I do have a problem with sone of the content however.

Phil Keaggy has also had some outstanding albums.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DerSchweik

Spend time in His Word - every day
Aug 31, 2007
Right of center
✟1,879,104.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
...and if you like amazing voices - of the opera type - you really need to listen to Patricia Janeckova. She's truly a world class soprano. She's like 22 now - but this was when she was 14 I think. Floored me when I first stumbled on this - she did it for a student competition but clearly stole the show...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

DerSchweik

Aug 31, 2007
Right of center
✟1,879,104.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You know what? Just realized none of these were from the '70's - my bad - but the '70's and late '60's were my musical era. Nothing since has compared imho - but these posts prove that at least it hasn't been all bad since. :)

Reactions: rebornfree
Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,404,799.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
You know what? Just realized none of these were from the '70's - my bad - but the '70's and late '60's were my musical era. Nothing since has compared imho - but these posts prove that at least it hasn't been all bad since. :)
There are similer threads for the newer stuff. :)

• Friendly
Reactions: DerSchweik
Upvote 0

DerSchweik

Aug 31, 2007
Right of center
✟1,879,104.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,404,799.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0